Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
How is NY mid atlantic....its the NE...D.C isnt northeast or the south ....the northeast doenst know whats going on in the south...D.C does...the south dsnt know whats going on in the northeast...D.C does.....you see its the midatlantic...its not north or south just is......DE, MD, DC, middle VA is all midatlantic
What? The Mid-Atlantic is a sub-region of the Northeast, NYC isn't New England. The Mid-Atlantic & New England make up the Northeast. DC is toward the Southern end of The Mid-Atlantic so of course it may feel a little different from Philadelphia, New York City, and even nearby Baltimore. I lived in the DMV so I can see a little bit of where you're coming from but DC never felt that connected to The South to me, it was always solidly Mid-Atlantic. Just like NYC doesn't feel connected to New England. DC is pretty unique so it really doesn't feel like anywhere.

Plus NYC feels closer (and physically is closer) to Philly & B'more than to Providence & Boston although NYC is a pretty unique place too but the similarities exist among Mid-Atlantic cities.

Last edited by Infamous92; 10-26-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Mid Atlantic

New England

Northeast

The Mid Atlantic is like an unofficial Northeast Extension , the NE Mega Region stretches into that region...The western areas of NY and PA are part of the great lakes.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 AM

492 posts, read 1,026,903 times
I dont like that map of the Mid Atlantic. I dont think the Mid Atlantic reaches that far up into NY state and PA or NJ

The Mid Atlantic is mainly DC MD and VA. (all of DC, a portion of Maryland, Virginia, WV, & DE)
The Mid Atlantic is where you have a mix of North and South, and thats mostly found in the states of DC MD and VA

NY Philly NJ and some of DE are East Coast

Most states will have several areas that can be classified differently

Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
One of the things that makes Washington, D.C. unique among American cities is that it has the strong flair of a European capital city. The monuments, architecture and museums in Washington, D.C. are recognized globally. I'd say that a "smaller, Americanized version of Paris" is an apt description for structure of the city.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-26-2010 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 11:45 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
idk whats the issue here. dc is northern architecture, it has the density of a northern city, and the people themselves speak with a more northern accent then a southern accent. Not to mention dc is like 3 - 4 hours away from nyc. Its closer to nyc then most most southern cities lol.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Mid Atlantic

New England

Northeast

The Mid Atlantic is like an unofficial Northeast Extension , the NE Mega Region stretches into that region...The western areas of NY and PA are part of the great lakes.

sorry but ny state , pa state and new jersey state can not be middle Atlantic.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
idk whats the issue here. dc is northern architecture, it has the density of a northern city, and the people themselves speak with a more northern accent then a southern accent. Not to mention dc is like 3 - 4 hours away from nyc. Its closer to nyc then most most southern cities lol.
Its absurd to drive a mere four hours away from new york city and say you've already entered the american south. That pretty much ends the argument right there

Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
I dont like that map of the Mid Atlantic. I dont think the Mid Atlantic reaches that far up into NY state and PA or NJ

The Mid Atlantic is mainly DC MD and VA. (all of DC, a portion of Maryland, Virginia, WV, & DE)
The Mid Atlantic is where you have a mix of North and South, and thats mostly found in the states of DC MD and VA

NY Philly NJ and some of DE are East Coast

Most states will have several areas that can be classified differently
The whole Eastern Seaboard is the East Coast. Idk why some classify only a section of the East Coast as being the East Coast, it's like saying only SoCal is the West Coast.

The DMV is closer to the South so of course it's more "southern".

Quote:
sorry but ny state , pa state and new jersey state can not be middle Atlantic.
Lol says who? They are though.

But whatever, seems like everyone wants to have their own definition so this'll probably go on and on. To me DC is a Mid-Atlantic city which is the southernmost subregion of the Northeast so yes DC is a Northeast city although it's close to the Southeast. Not that serious.

Historically DC was a Southern city but historically California was a part of Mexico, and historically Texas was it's own country. It's 2010 lol.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
The whole Eastern Seaboard is the East Coast. Idk why some classify only a section of the East Coast as being the East Coast, it's like saying only SoCal is the West Coast.

The DMV is closer to the South so of course it's more "southern".

Lol says who? They are though.

But whatever, seems like everyone wants to have their own definition so this'll probably go on and on. To me DC is a Mid-Atlantic city which is the southernmost subregion of the Northeast so yes DC is a Northeast city although it's close to the Southeast. Not that serious.
hell their are parts of ny state and pa state that i would claim as the midwest. Buffalo/Rochester look more like Detroit/Milwaukee/Ohio cities to me more then the average northeastern look.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
hell their are parts of ny state and pa state that i would claim as the midwest. Buffalo/Rochester look more like Detroit/Milwaukee/Ohio cities to me more then the average northeastern look.

Well for PA more than half of the population lives within an hour drive of NJ - I have actually never heard anyone claim that PA is not a Mid Atlantic state

What are PA/NJ/NY then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City