Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 PM

531 posts, read 1,144,199 times

Advertisements

"how is the sprawl in these cities different, than in say, the NYC metro"

[quote=Akhenaton06;16396077]Really, it's not.

LMAO. You're completely right-- it isn't!! The sprawl in the most 'urban' sunbelt CITIES is comparable to the sprawl in northeastern SUBURBS (nyc metro as you mention). Glad you finally admitted it. hence why hotlanta is considered a posterchild for urban sprawl.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:32 AM

725 posts, read 1,511,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Idk. But when i ride amtrak(which i've frequently done in college) when u leave richmond and eventually enter DC you feel like you've entered the northeast. Dc is the first city in the northeast it doesnt have a southern feeling at all

Dc begins the north and it seems that north virginia is the transition from south to north
I'm not going to fight you on that... Everybody is entitled to their opinion .

I was just stating that legally, historically, and officially DC is in the south.

As far as how it feels to you is subjective and totally dependant on each individual, so it is pointless for me to argue it.

To me every state feels different than the next: New Jersey feels totally different than NY, Nevada to Cali, and Georgia to Florida. I think each state has it's own unique culture and way of doing things.

Last edited by theATLien; 10-26-2010 at 01:57 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 02:04 AM

6 posts, read 15,423 times
Based on politics, DC and MD are pure NE.

Southern Pols like Jim Demint and John Cornyn would be blown out of the water in DC/MD. The region regualry elect NE liberals that are identical to pols from MA and CT.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
I'm not going to fight you on that... Everybody is entitled to their opinion .

I was just stating that legally, historically, and officially DC is in the south.

As far as how it feels to you is subjective and totally dependant on each individual, so it is pointless for me to argue it.

To me every state feels different than the next: New Jersey feels totally different than NY, Nevada to Cali, and Georgia to Florida. I think each state has it's own unique culture and way of doing things.
Unnecessary. Do you really think this thread has been going strong for 36 pages because people can't figure out where DC falls relative to the Mason-Dixon line?

Correct, every state does feel different than the next. Similarly, every REGION feels different than the next. And DC simply feels more like a city in the Northeast region. I don't even know how you can argue with this?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKthomas View Post
Based on politics, DC and MD are pure NE.

Southern Pols like Jim Demint and John Cornyn would be blown out of the water in DC/MD. The region regualry elect NE liberals that are identical to pols from MA and CT.
Not quite...

Almost all big cities are liberal North-South East-West.

Here is an interesting map:

Do you notice how the map is almost all red with a few dots indicating major cities. It is less of a north/south thing now than it is a urban/rural thing. The rural people in Penn, Vermont and Maine are just as consevative as the rural people in southern states. The only difference is southern states are larger and the cities have less of an impact. Expand the rural parts of vermont to the size of Georgia and see where it would lean...

The fact that DC is a major city is a given it's gonna be liberal, but's it not that much different from any other major city in the south.

The mayor of Atlanta was from Philly... go figure.

Last edited by theATLien; 10-26-2010 at 03:28 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Not quite...

Almost all big cities are liberal North-South East-West.

Here is an interesting map:

Do you notice how the map is almost all red with a few dots indicating major cities. It is less of a north/south thing now than it is a urban/rural thing. The rural people in Penn, Vermont and Maine are just as consevative as the rural people in southern states. The only difference is southern states are larger and the cities have less of an impact. Expand the rural parts of vermont to the size of Georgia and see where it would lean...

The fact that DC is a major city is a given it's gonna be liberal, but's it not that much different from any other major city in the south.

The major of Atlanta was from Philly... go figure.

duuuuuuuude you have more diagrams than my Anatomy text book. stop! at the end of the day, if you were to take a stroll through DC you would feel more like you were in Boston/Phila/Newark/NJC/NY/etc. than Atlanta/Charlotte/Raleigh/Charleston/Tampa/etc. If this isn't as obvious for you as it is for me, I reccomend taking a 'virtual stroll' through these cities in streetview.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
Unnecessary. Do you really think this thread has been going strong for 36 pages because people can't figure out where DC falls relative to the Mason-Dixon line?

Correct, every state does feel different than the next. Similarly, every REGION feels different than the next. And DC simply feels more like a city in the Northeast region. I don't even know how you can argue with this?
IDK. I just wanted to seperate facts from my opinions clearly. So, then, we agree that it is a fact that DC is in the south. You just feel like it isn't.

First it's not a fact that every state feels different than the next. It's my opinion. Some people may not be as in touch with their feelings as others. Similarily it is not a fact that every region feels different than the others. That's your opinion.

Second, no I do not feel the difference in regions when it corredsponds to DC and I travel frequently. DC has a very unique vibe to me. As I stated earlier I haven't been to a major city that resembled DC in the north or the south, because of it's design. However the city that comes to closest to me is Savannah (of course much, much larger). The grid layout, huge prominent buildings, classic townhomes/brownstones, and lack of skyscrappers. It came the closest imo

Last edited by theATLien; 10-26-2010 at 03:30 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
duuuuuuuude you have more diagrams than my Anatomy text book. stop! at the end of the day, if you were to take a stroll through DC you would feel more like you were in Boston/Phila/Newark/NJC/NY/etc. than Atlanta/Charlotte/Raleigh/Charleston/Tampa/etc. If this isn't as obvious for you as it is for me, I reccomend taking a 'virtual stroll' through these cities in streetview.
You are really criticizing me for backing up my claims with proof instead of going off feelings.

I have been to DC and most of those cities you have named and none of them look like DC or feels like it. DC is unique imo.

Now I respected your opinion. You should respect mine. There is no right or wrong opinion in this... (imo)

However the fact remains... DC is legally, historically, and officially in the south.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 AM

10,113 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
You are really criticizing me for backing up my claims with proof instead of going off feelings.

I have been to DC and most of those cities you have named and none of them look like DC or feels like it. DC is unique imo.

Now I respected your opinion. You should respect mine. There is no right or wrong opinion in this... (imo)

However the fact remains... DC is legally, historically, and officially in the south.
lol u r a funny dude with all those maps..lmao

Old 10-26-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
lol u r a funny dude with all those maps..lmao
yep, regular jokester...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City