Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:07 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Its absurd to drive a mere four hours away from new york city and say you've already entered the american south. That pretty much ends the argument right there
Well, 1 more hour will get you there - Fredericksburg, Virginia.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:14 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
The whole Eastern Seaboard is the East Coast. Idk why some classify only a section of the East Coast as being the East Coast, it's like saying only SoCal is the West Coast.

The DMV is closer to the South so of course it's more "southern".

Lol says who? They are though.

But whatever, seems like everyone wants to have their own definition so this'll probably go on and on. To me DC is a Mid-Atlantic city which is the southernmost subregion of the Northeast so yes DC is a Northeast city although it's close to the Southeast. Not that serious.

Historically DC was a Southern city but historically California was a part of Mexico, and historically Texas was it's own country. It's 2010 lol.
Of course the whole eastern seaboard is the east coast..... but the "east coast" in a cultural sense is referencing NY, NJ, CT, Philly etc.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:16 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Of course the whole eastern seaboard is the east coast..... but the "east coast" in a cultural sense is referencing NY, NJ, CT, Philly etc.
I guess, it just sounds very weird.

Just like WV is "considered" a Southern state but it extends to NYC's latitude.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:16 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
idk whats the issue here. dc is northern architecture, it has the density of a northern city, and the people themselves speak with a more northern accent then a southern accent. Not to mention dc is like 3 - 4 hours away from nyc. Its closer to nyc then most most southern cities lol.
Depends on the race of the person

Old 10-26-2010, 12:22 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
When people reference the east coast from other places they are talking about Boston to DC. DC is definitely a northeast city. It shares more characteristics with Philly, Bmore, Boston and NYC than Alanta, Dallas and Houston.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:22 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Depends on the race of the person
Not DC, in all honesty when I lived there and MD I didn't hear a Southern accent at all. Now I've heard of people from the area having a Southern accent but I think that goes on a person to person thing, not race.

I love the DMV, if I had to choose a Mid-Atlantic city it'd be DC (well...Hampton Roads but I think that qualifies as Southern).

Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Its absurd to drive a mere four hours away from new york city and say you've already entered the american south. That pretty much ends the argument right there
Is it any more absurd to drive 3-1/2 hours from Richmond and say that you've entered the Northeast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
idk whats the issue here. dc is northern architecture, it has the density of a northern city, and the people themselves speak with a more northern accent then a southern accent. Not to mention dc is like 3 - 4 hours away from nyc. Its closer to nyc then most most southern cities lol.
Do you actually live in Washington, DC? Well, I do, I can tell you that there is very little that's northern about it. The transplants in DC don't have a southern accent, but neither do the transplants in Atlanta. The native Washingtonians, on the other hand, have an accent that is decidely southern. Beyond that...

The Redskins fight song was changed in the 1960s from "Fight for old Dixie" to "Fight for Old D.C." They even flew Confederate battle flags at Redskins games. Brrrr?

DC was part of the Jim Crow south. When blacks traveled from the north, they were forced to change cars once they arrived at Union Station.

Route 1 in Alexandria is named the Jefferson Davis Highway. Brrrr?

Demographically, Washington, DC has pretty much been a city of elite whites, elite blacks, and poor blacks. There are no "ethnic" whites here. DC never had the heavy industry to attract them.

Overall, the area has undergone a dramatic transformation, but it's not really northern. DC's sort of the odd duck out when compared to Bos, Phi, and NYC. Baltimore has more in common with those three towns than DC.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
The whole Eastern Seaboard is the East Coast. Idk why some classify only a section of the East Coast as being the East Coast, it's like saying only SoCal is the West Coast.

Historically DC was a Southern city but historically California was a part of Mexico, and historically Texas was it's own country. It's 2010 lol.
whoa

First the Mid-atlantic region in undefined and ever-changing so take your pick.

Second. DC is historically, legally, and officially in the US south.

California and Texas joined the US. That can be documented. The federal government of both countries recognizes the shift of those two areas to the US as a treaty was signed and everything. However the federal government still recognizes DC in the south. Those are just facts.

However if you feel it is not. That that is your opinion.

And yes this is still the case as recent as the last as the 2010 census

Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,809 times
[quote=BajanYankee;16407520]
Quote:
Is it any more absurd to drive 3-1/2 hours from Richmond and say that you've entered the Northeast?
I consider north virginia to be the transition zone. Theres no way you can be only four hours away from nyc,3 from philly and be already in the south. Period. DC is not the south

Old 10-26-2010, 12:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Here is my take

DC today is funtionally a NE city, mainly due to location in the NE Corrider or Boswash or whatever it is - this is a proximity thing.

It also has mostly a pace like the NE moreso than other southern cities though to me this is changing rapidly in most of the large southern cities today

Historically it was a part of the South - today geographically it is likely neither - they grey area of geography

DC is a hybrid of sorts, traditional Southern roots, some more sunbelt like development in the burbs (to me NOVA or Montgomery County MD feel more like newer developed sunbelt areas than they do like SE PA, Jersey of NYC burbs), transplants from all over the country, and the NE pace due to location.

I also agree with Bajan in that there is no strong caucasion ethnic feel like you get in the other large Eastern Seaboard cities (Boston/NYC/Philly/Balt) so that is different on feel.

To answer the OP's question (well that was me actually) to me the answer is Yes - mostly on the basis of location and function in the NE corrider

Could you say it is also Mid Atlantic - yes or Fringe South - Yes but in todays world DC functions and is mostly associated with the Northeast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City