Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:15 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Columbus, GA, namely Fort Benning, has over $3 billion in new construction going on around the base.
That is great to hear! Just like here in Dayton, Wright-Patterson airforce base is expaning by leaps and bounds, and hundreds of new jobs keep getting added.

I have seen pictures of Salt Lake, construction cranes everywhere. Talk about an underrated region of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
That is great to hear! Just like here in Dayton, Wright-Patterson airforce base is expaning by leaps and bounds, and hundreds of new jobs keep getting added.

I have seen pictures of Salt Lake, construction cranes everywhere. Talk about an underrated region of the country.
It is great news. Columbus was voted #6 in the country for job growth for 2010. Companies like AFLAC, Synovus, TSYS, Carmike Cinemas, Char-broil, and Fort Benning call Columbus home. Good things are happening here. Glad to hear the Dayton area is doing well with its base expansion.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
It is great news. Columbus was voted #6 in the country for job growth for 2010. Companies like AFLAC, Synovus, TSYS, Carmike Cinemas, Char-broil, and Fort Benning call Columbus home. Good things are happening here. Glad to hear the Dayton area is doing well with its base expansion.
I think Columbus, GA gets overlooked a lot because of Atlanta. I really thought your downtown was nice. Lots of things were starting to change last I was there about a year and a half ago.

I moved to Dayton about three years ago. I work for Caresource. They just built a new midrise office building in downtown Dayton, and the medical field is really starting to take off here. They are building a huge new hospital about a mile from downtown. Dayton, just like Columbus, GA is getting recognition too. We were just recently named "Best Midsized Metro area for business expansion."

Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Miami has construction cranes everywhere!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:23 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Orlando is in the process of building a medical city/district (two hospitals, a medical school, research institutes, a commercial area, and more) A lot of road projects are going on, a new world class arena is getting built, a new preformony arts center will break ground in a few months, a new office building is u/c downtown, several new restaurants are u/c. Theme park expansions are u/c (wizarding world of harry potter. New urban apartments are under construction, New subsivisons that were not completed due to the housing crash are beggining to pick up construction, a new sherrifs office is u/c and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:14 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Miami has construction cranes everywhere!
It still does? I was under the impression that aside from some projects that started a few years ago and are wrapping up or others that have halted construction - the highrise construction activity in Miami in 2010 has basically shut off (as in most of the country).

Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Miami, Houston, Dallas.

LA has some new things going up too.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
I'm guessing the largest single construction project in Atlanta right now would be the new International terminal at the Airport, a $1.2 billion job.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Let's see, NYC has one of the biggest construction sites going on in the world right now: the Freedom tower. And I'm lucky enough to see its progress often, and can someday tell my future children I saw it get built.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:16 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
^All of the delays and lawsuits between Silverstein and the Port Authority notwithstanding, the name is now 1 World Trade Center. The Freedom Tower name has been replaced.

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/construction/project_updates/freedom_tower_26204.aspx

http://gothamist.com/2010/03/25/port_authority_silverstein_agree_to.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City