Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 10:09 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,061,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Also I based my list off of why I think downtowns are magnificent, and my reason is the skyline size and height, not liveliness or attractions.

Third Coast (Midwestern states are called Third coasts): Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, Louisville, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Columbus, Toledo, St. Paul. (In that Order)

American South Central (Southern- southwestern states): Nashville, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Tulsa, Omaha, Knoxville, Little Rock. (In that order)
LOL!! Do you honestly believe the nonsense you post? Seriously, St. Louis, Cleveland, Louisville, and Indianapolis ahead of Minneapolis in terms of skyline size and height? Even Cincinnati is ahead of Louisville and Indianapolis. Omaha in the south - southwest!! I suggest you do some traveling once you've completed college.

FYI, Emporis lists 78 buildings over 12 stories in downtown Minneapolis. It lists the city of Louisville as having a total of 62.

Downtown Minneapolis Top Ten (completed)
IDS Tower – 792
Capella Tower – 775
Wells Fargo Center – 774
33 South Sixth – 668
Campbell Mithun Tower – 579
US Bank Plaza I – 561
Dain Rauscher Plaza – 539
Fifth Street Towers II – 504
Ameriprise Financial Center – 498
Target Plaza South – 492

Downtown Louisville
Top Ten (completed)
AEGON Center – 549
National City Tower – 512
PNC Plaza – 420
Humana Building – 417
Waterfront Park Place – 364
Meidinger Tower – 363
Brown & Williamson Tower – 363
Waterfront Plaza I – 340
Waterfront Plaza II – 340
E.ON U.S. Center

Last edited by BlackOut; 04-27-2010 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:41 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
San Jose, CA has the best downtown in the U.S. for a major city by far with everything you need in the big city with flowers and landscapes all over the downtown area.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:50 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
I've been to all those cities mentioned, and half of their downtowns are dead at weekend nights, namely Chicago(Loop), Pittsburgh and LA. By the way, Downtown Pittsburgh has some abandoned buildings, vacant storefronts, and it's fairly dirty. Therefore, pittsburgh can only brag about their natural scenery and ballpark across the river from downtown. I agree with Awsom Danny when he said his criteria for best downtowns, which has nothing to do with being in downtowns but for the look from outside( skyline and settings).

Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
Philadelphia, Washington, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis

Old 08-20-2010, 02:53 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,033,011 times
Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis come to mind as cities with beautiful downtowns.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:55 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,033,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
By the way, Downtown Pittsburgh has some abandoned buildings, vacant storefronts, and it's fairly dirty. Therefore, pittsburgh can only brag about their natural scenery and ballpark across the river from downtown.
Actually, Pittsburgh's downtown is becoming more and more vibrant. There are very few if any abandoned buildings downtown, and the downtown has one of the lowest vacancy rates in the nation. It is some of the surrounding neighborhoods that have abandoned buildings, not downtown.

And I just have to boast -- we have a two-story Wendy's downtown.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 08-20-2010 at 03:06 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 05:37 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,410 times
I really liked San Jose's downtown. Someone posted a google streetview link and I was really impressed. Fort Worth's downtown (Sundance Square) is also really neat.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:58 AM

5 posts, read 6,997 times
Definitely LA, I say this because of the newly built LA Live. There's a lot of life in the downtown LA area now, especially around Staples center. I would say San Diego is also a prime canidate, I love downtowns with beaches, Miami too! I don't think the cities in the midwest and south can compete with this.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:10 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearlok1 View Post
Definitely LA, I say this because of the newly built LA Live. There's a lot of life in the downtown LA area now, especially around Staples center. I would say San Diego is also a prime canidate, I love downtowns with beaches, Miami too! I don't think the cities in the midwest and south can compete with this.
Chicago's Downtown has beaches. It is the 2nd largest Downtown in terms of building and the 2nd tallest city in the world only behind Dubai. Los Angeles simply cannot ever compete with that.

You posted in another thread if you combined all of Los Angeles's buildings to one skyline it would beat Chicago yet the city of Los Angeles only has 509 buildings total in its entire city (which includes Century City, Hollywood, & Downtown), lets combine the 42 in Long Beach, meaning the combined skyline would have 551 buildings for the entire skyline and it stills falls short to Chicago's one massive skyline with 1,117 buildings. Chicago is even taller than New York City, so go figure.

Los Angeles: Skyscrapers of Los Angeles | Emporis.com
Long Beach: Skyscrapers of Long Beach | Emporis.com
Chicago: Skyscrapers of Chicago | Emporis.com

I'm sorry which ever way you cut it, Chicago's skyline trumps Los Angeles and its a city in the Midwest. It has a beach in an urban setting in its downtown.

The Worlds Tallest Cities (presently with only the completed Towers) 2010:
01. Dubai
-- New York City*
02. Chicago
03. Hong Kong
04. Shanghai
05. New York City
06. Kuala Lumpur
07. Guangzhou
08. Singapore
09. Houston
10. Shenzhen
11. Toronto
12. Tokyo
13. Los Angeles
14. Seoul
15. Atlanta
16. Bangkok
17. Melbourne

* Where New York City would have ranked if the World Trade Center (Twin Towers) still existed today.

The Worlds Tallest Cities (presently with only the completed Towers) 2009:
-- New York City*
01. Chicago
02. Hong Kong
03. Shanghai
04. Dubai
05. New York City
06. Kuala Lumpur
07. Singapore
08. Houston
10. Toronto
11. Tokyo
12. Los Angeles
13. Guangzhou
14. Seoul
15. Atlanta
16. Bangkok
17. Melbourne

* New York City as indicated by the (--) would have been the tallest city in the world in 2009 if the Twin Towers stood.

US Cities in top 01: None
US Cities in top 03: Chicago (same order)
US Cities in top 05: Chicago & New York City (same order)
US Cities in top 10: Chicago, New York City, & Houston (same order)
US Cities in top 15: Chicago, New York City, Houston, Los Angeles, & Atlanta (same order)

Source: Ultrapolis World's Twenty-Five Tallest Cities

It cant even be argued, Los Angeles simply doesn't have the Downtown or Skyline to trump Chicago. (A Midwestern city)

Old 10-19-2010, 02:50 AM

235 posts, read 344,222 times
^^^ Watch it Dannyy! How DARE you post something that says Atlanta ranks among the top world cities for anything!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City