Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 09:04 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times

Advertisements

[quote=Beavercreek33;13610282]Large Downtowns:
Chicago
Boston
Atlanta
Seattle
Portland

Small Downtowns:
Boise
Greenville <--- that's whats up!
Akron
Madison
Knoxville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 PM

26 posts, read 23,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I agree

My list

World-Class:
NYC
Chicago
Boston
San Francisco

Very Strong:
Philadelphia
Seattle
Portland
Washington DC (incl Georgetown w DT)

Strong:
Minneapolis
Los Angeles
Denver
New Orleans
San Diego
Baltimore

Good
Salt Lake City
Pittsburgh
Austin
Charlotte
Indianapolis
Norfolk
Richmond
Milwaukee
Houston
Cincinnati
Providence
St Louis
Columbus
i think philly belongs in that top section

Old 04-09-2010, 12:44 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Mid-sized downtowns:

New Orleans
Austin
Fort Worth
San Antonio

Old 04-09-2010, 01:00 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
[quote=ComSense;13611289]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Large Downtowns:
Chicago
Boston
Atlanta
Seattle
Portland

Small Downtowns:
Boise
Greenville <--- that's whats up!
Akron
Madison
Knoxville
Much props on Greenville. Have you checked out Asheville? Another really great DT.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:18 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Unless you live somewhere along I-85, Greenville, SC is off most people's radar and could care less. Not sure why so much attention is on it in this thread as if you would ask your average person in California and they would have a blank stare and say Green where? Charleston, SC has a lovely downtown and is a great place to visit and walk around, take in the history, character, and architecture.

I've also heard many great things about Asheville, NC and would love to check it out.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:25 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Unless you live somewhere along I-85, Greenville, SC is off most people's radar and could care less. Not sure why so much attention is on it in this thread as if you would ask your average person in California and they would have a blank stare and say Green where? Charleston, SC has a lovely downtown and is a great place to visit and walk around, take in the history, character, and architecture.

I've also heard many great things about Asheville, NC and would love to check it out.
Exactly. There's one particular poster here who insists to try to convince people that Greenville is an amazing downtown. It is a nice downtown, but it certainly isn't the "prettiest in the country" is he claims. Charleston is by far a much prettier downtown than G-Ville.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 04-09-2010 at 08:36 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post

Do you know how much traffic is generated through I-85? It is a busy highway, so I'm sure Greenville gets some decent attention. It may not be Charleston, but from what I've seen it is truly a nice DT. You would Asheville, nice little artsy mountain community.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
I've heard great things about Asheville actually...I've never had the opportunity to visit there though.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:43 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post

Greenville SC.
Agreed. Greenville's downtown comes as a complete surprise to most that first encounter it.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Sure...there are plenty of cities which have nicer downtowns than Greenville, but I'll show the one I'm most familiar with: Boston.

Post Office Square

Old State House

Thanks to a very talented photographer, Vanshnookenraggen (http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanshnookenraggen/ - broken link) from the ArchBoston forums. The next few are his.

Liberty Square

Downtown Crossing (http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanshnookenraggen/4225299563/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Thanks Van (http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanshnookenraggen/645131212/sizes/l/in/set-72157594378144870/ - broken link)

Park Street (That church was the site of the Boston Massacre)

Pretty photo I can't post here

Corner of School & Washington

Quincy Market

Cobblestones

Thanks

Christopher Columbus Park

Other cities I have visited with much prettier downtowns: Chicago, New York City, Providence, Portland (Maine), Washington DC, Charleston, SC (G-Ville isn't even the prettiest DT in its own state).
I'm surprised that Boston isn't making more lists on here...it easily rates #1 in my book as far as downtowns go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City