Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 03:59 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times

Advertisements

If it were a 3-story McDonald's I'd book the next flight to town -- also making sure to stop by and visit Pizzario Duo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
I am sorry, but Downtown Indianapolis is far from attractive or vibrant. It has an almost industrial feel to it and is one of the least attractive downtowns and city as a whole that I have ever been too. Also I am currently living in the mid-west and the type of restaurants people out here consider to be good are just awful, it blows my mind really. Are you serious...Steak & Shake??? those places are awful!
Very nice and casual downtown. I visited Indianapolis in for the Circle City Classic (football) in October of 04. Very very nice, skyline is ugly to me but their downtown is nothing too major at all. Visited Buffalo Wild Wings and hit the mall up downtown as well. Their downtown is not one of my top destination nor Indianapolis, however it suites the city and was ok in my book.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:56 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
http://www.windsoraughtry.com/images/content_HIStwighlight.jpg (broken link)

Greenville SC.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post

Greenville SC.

Cool new bridge and falls, just read about it on a flight

Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,704 times
What's great about New England downtowns is that they are compact, dense, full of life, always changing. Here's my favorite smalller city downtown. This was all rail yards 15 years ago.

Providence, RI

Waterplace park

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-08-2010 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post

Greenville SC.

Luxury condos overlooking the Reedy River, which runs right through the middle of downtown Greenville. Freakin awesome. Havent seen a downtown more attractive.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:43 PM

7 posts, read 14,844 times
Best downtowns, in order:

1. NYC
2. SF
3. Washington, DC
4. Boston
5. Chicago

Old 04-05-2010, 07:27 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Overall,
Seattle
Philadelphia
Portland
Washington DC

Im sure there are others, but these are the first that come to mind.
These are exactly the remainder cities I had in mind. I would also add Denver. Denver has made great strides to adding more commerce and people downtown. With the Fastraks in place (FasTracks Home), this engineering and job creating undertaking is adding light/commuter rail to Golden, Boulder, and the out to the airport. Denver is restoring Union Station which on Denver scale, would more or less their own Grand Central Station. Coors Field and the warehouse/trendy condo vibe of LoDo add vibrancy to downtown.

Seattle has the best downtown in terms of water views, and the awesome Pike Place Market. Pike Market has a very European feel with produce vendors, seafood, bakeries, restaurants and street entertainment (hit or miss). Seattle has a lot of character.

Portland pioneered the trend outside the excluded list for urban infill and limiting suburban sprawl. Portland also feels sorta European. Portland also has some beautiful parks adjacect to downtown.

Washington DC has the most dynamic downtown as we are all very familiar to its monuments. The national mall is a beautiful swath of parkland in the heart of the city. The busy big city vibe is right on the fringes of it. Washington is such a pretty city, too bad it's so damn expensive.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Large Downtowns:
Chicago
Boston
Atlanta
Seattle
Portland

Small Downtowns:
Boise
Greenville
Akron
Madison
Knoxville

Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Cool new bridge and falls, just read about it on a flight
must've been reading the US Airways in-flight mag! lol I read it last week on my flight to and from Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City