Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:34 AM

258 posts, read 325,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Yet you live in Fort Myers, possibly one of the blandest cities in Florida with a horrendous unemployment rate.
Ft. Myers is the bowel of society, highest foreclosure rate in the country, about 150 days a year over 90 with unbearable humidity. No history or culture, but as they say to each his own.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
My only issues with Florida are the crime and the current unemployment rate. If it weren't for that, it would be perfect for me. I love the weather, the beaches, and the overall vibe of Florida. That's not to say Pennsylvania doesn't have just as much going for it in different ways.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:24 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
I must say that Sarasota leaves MUCH to be desired. I got hit by 2 cars within the first year of moving here: while I was riding my bicycle. I never got hit in Pa. and one driver left the scene while the others honked their horns because I was blocking the traffic, lying on the road! Noone summoned help(I had no cell phone). Two years ago gunshots were fired near our house, with two bullets hitting the house, while we were at work. When we needed help from the neighbors(25 feet away) they claimed that they heard no shots since they were waiting for a pizza delivery.....I still do not know what that was supposed to mean? Anyway, in Sarasota at least....nice people??????

Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I actually miss quite a bit about Pennsylvania. Even though many people there weren't quite the most cultured, tolerant, or progressive people that side of the Mason-Dixon Line I would still rather be with a group of them at a social gathering than a group of people from NoVA flatulating about classical music, a debate on Mercedes vs. Lexus, grey poupon vs. caviar, yada, yada, yada. There's something to be said about being down-to-earth. I appreciate that people in NoVA can also talk intelligently about politics, foreign affairs, the economy, etc., etc. and are generally more respectful of diifferent cultures/ideals/races (i.e. not as much gay-bashing here), but there is a definite aura of "prestige" here where you feel left out if you make sub-$50,000/year, as I do.

I know you were asking about Florida, but I know since we are both derived from the same small hometown in PA you probably know where I'm coming from with missing the small town festivals, the old homes, the mom-and-pop restaurants, the beautiful churches (although most in Pittston, PA are now abandoned), etc.
To be fair, NoVa is more akin to the Philadelphia suburbs. In that comparison, they are both about as tolerant. NoVa isn't representative of VA any more than the Philadelphia MSA is representative of PA. VA and Penn actually have quite a bit in common, separated by the Mason dixon line.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:40 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
Yeah, that would never happen in the northeast...I think everyone remembers this one. I'm not saying this is right, AT ALL. However, it just shows that this is the attitude of many people these days...not just Floridians.

Why Did No One Help Hit-and-Run Victim? - ABC News

People are also not going to go rushing out of their homes when they hear gunfire outside, either, so I am not sure what you were expecting from your neighbors.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Yeah, that would never happen in the northeast...I think everyone remembers this one. I'm not saying this is right, AT ALL. However, it just shows that this is the attitude of many people these days...not just Floridians.

Why Did No One Help Hit-and-Run Victim? - ABC News

People are also not going to go rushing out of their homes when they hear gunfire outside, either, so I am not sure what you were expecting from your neighbors.
I agree. but you misunderstand......this was hours later when the police (and us) needed more people who heard the shots so that they could establish the time of the incident. And I am one of the Dummies...LOL...who would run out to "help", I have done that before at our previous address in Sarasota.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I must say that Sarasota leaves MUCH to be desired. I got hit by 2 cars within the first year of moving here: while I was riding my bicycle. I never got hit in Pa. and one driver left the scene while the others honked their horns because I was blocking the traffic, lying on the road! Noone summoned help(I had no cell phone). Two years ago gunshots were fired near our house, with two bullets hitting the house, while we were at work. When we needed help from the neighbors(25 feet away) they claimed that they heard no shots since they were waiting for a pizza delivery.....I still do not know what that was supposed to mean? Anyway, in Sarasota at least....nice people??????
Sucks...

I saw a guy hit on a bike in April in FL a car did a rolling no look stop at an intersection with a baby in the car no less and just smashed the guy, us and one other car were the only ones to stop in full traffic at lunch hour... There was actually a walk in medicine place there right where he got hit so I ran in and asked if somebody could attend, they just looked at me with a blank stare, nobody came out. We helped the guy out as he smashed his head in the road, then called the cops and filed the police report. I would never ride my bike in FL...I have seen SEVERAL people get hit or almost hit on bikes while I lived there.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Sucks...

I saw a guy hit on a bike in April in FL a car did a rolling no look stop at an intersection with a baby in the car no less and just smashed the guy, us and one other car were the only ones to stop in full traffic at lunch hour... There was actually a walk in medicine place there right where he got hit so I ran in and asked if somebody could attend, they just looked at me with a blank stare, nobody came out. We helped the guy out as he smashed his head in the road, then called the cops and filed the police report. I would never ride my bike in FL...I have seen SEVERAL people get hit or almost hit on bikes while I lived there.
God Bless You for helping that man when noone else would ; those so called medical personnel should be ashamed of themselves and I hope what goes around comes around. Some drivers do not seem to care/respect cyclists and pedestrians ......some cars in Sarasota actually speed up when you try to cross a street...sickening behavior. You can see my point about noone stopping. I had to push my bicycle 5 miles to work and I was bloody and bruised. Welcome to Florida?????? PS I hope he was alright!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
If I may inquire? Where did you visit?
I basically drove the length ot the state from Philly, all the way to Ohio south of Pittburgh. The mountains were ok, but they don't compare to the beaches of FL. I prefur Florida's climate better aswell.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:11 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Yet you live in Fort Myers, possibly one of the blandest cities in Florida with a horrendous unemployment rate.
You can't help bashing someone and where they live just becasue they don't like or were not impressed by where you live. I hope you don't represent the attitude of the majority of Philadelphians. That would be another reason I wouldn't want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City