Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:12 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Pennsylvania but moved to Florida 20 years ago. I must say I prefer Pennsylvania mainly because it has more "diversity" geographically and the economy is not so dependant on continual large population increases(which is unsustainable). The accelerated population growth has led to a high crime rate and a loss of identity for the state. Overall I feel that the quality of life in Florida suffers because it has too many transplanted residents....including me....LOL....

Old 06-30-2009, 06:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
To answer the question in the title of the thread: PA by a long shot.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
I actually miss quite a bit about Pennsylvania. Even though many people there weren't quite the most cultured, tolerant, or progressive people that side of the Mason-Dixon Line I would still rather be with a group of them at a social gathering than a group of people from NoVA flatulating about classical music, a debate on Mercedes vs. Lexus, grey poupon vs. caviar, yada, yada, yada. There's something to be said about being down-to-earth. I appreciate that people in NoVA can also talk intelligently about politics, foreign affairs, the economy, etc., etc. and are generally more respectful of diifferent cultures/ideals/races (i.e. not as much gay-bashing here), but there is a definite aura of "prestige" here where you feel left out if you make sub-$50,000/year, as I do.

I know you were asking about Florida, but I know since we are both derived from the same small hometown in PA you probably know where I'm coming from with missing the small town festivals, the old homes, the mom-and-pop restaurants, the beautiful churches (although most in Pittston, PA are now abandoned), etc.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 PM

258 posts, read 325,202 times
But Florida has more of the other kinds of diversity!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:25 PM

258 posts, read 325,202 times
But all things considered Pennsylvania by a huge landslide. Used to live in Philly, love the history of Independence Hall, Valley Forge, 4 seasons, 2 hours from NY, Pittsburgh is also a great city. Not a fan of heat or humidity.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I actually miss quite a bit about Pennsylvania. Even though many people there weren't quite the most cultured, tolerant, or progressive people that side of the Mason-Dixon Line I would still rather be with a group of them at a social gathering than a group of people from NoVA flatulating about classical music, a debate on Mercedes vs. Lexus, grey poupon vs. caviar, yada, yada, yada. There's something to be said about being down-to-earth. I appreciate that people in NoVA can also talk intelligently about politics, foreign affairs, the economy, etc., etc. and are generally more respectful of diifferent cultures/ideals/races (i.e. not as much gay-bashing here), but there is a definite aura of "prestige" here where you feel left out if you make sub-$50,000/year, as I do.

I know you were asking about Florida, but I know since we are both derived from the same small hometown in PA you probably know where I'm coming from with missing the small town festivals, the old homes, the mom-and-pop restaurants, the beautiful churches (although most in Pittston, PA are now abandoned), etc.
You hit the nail on the head....we miss the relative "friendliness" of the people and as you stated the more earthy mentality. Here it is mainly wealthy and sometimes snobish people....everyone else seems to be "left out of the equation". Part of the real estate bubble was caused by greedy people flipping properties and now we are all paying for it. Sarasota calls itself cultured but I have seen better plays and nicer venues in Scranton or Wilkes-Barre....it is all about image. Also....as you also alluded...Florida does not have a "history" like Pennsylvania...it seems to lack "soul". And the architecture of the older Pennsylvania cities, including churches is far more diverse than here. It comes down to that "help your neighbor/watch out for your neighbor" mindset, which I personally have never experienced in Florida.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
But all things considered Pennsylvania by a huge landslide. Used to live in Philly, love the history of Independence Hall, Valley Forge, 4 seasons, 2 hours from NY, Pittsburgh is also a great city. Not a fan of heat or humidity.
I totally agree.... I used to love traveling in Pennsylvania...with the mountains and valleys....you never got bored with the terrain or diversity of flora and fauna.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:43 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,534 times
I lived in Florida several years ago. Although wasn't a horrible experience (some on this board paint as the portal to Hell), I prefer Pennsylvania. I just recently moved to the southwestern part of the state, but where I was before (Clarksburg, WV which is about 80 miles away) isn't that radically different. I like it so far. I moved to PA for a better job (yes, good jobs exist in southwestern PA, they are hard to find though).

I like PA's mountains and overall scenery though. FL is a bit too flat for my tastes. Also PA is alot closer to home and more familiar.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:00 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
I agree, Pennsylvania is far superior! Especially in the job market and wages.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
I lived in Florida several years ago. Although wasn't a horrible experience (some on this board paint as the portal to Hell), I prefer Pennsylvania. I just recently moved to the southwestern part of the state, but where I was before (Clarksburg, WV which is about 80 miles away) isn't that radically different. I like it so far. I moved to PA for a better job (yes, good jobs exist in southwestern PA, they are hard to find though).

I like PA's mountains and overall scenery though. FL is a bit too flat for my tastes. Also PA is alot closer to home and more familiar.
Florida is not as bad as some of us say.....but close....LOL.... the flat terrain is so monotonous.....interstate travel is not the natural wonder that it is in Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City