Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's easy to bundle up in the winter. My students don't have heat in their apartments. They put on a jacket and it's no big deal. They complain about having no AC more than wearing a jacket in their house in the winter. There's only so many clothes you can take off, you know
Tell that to the homeless that move down here. Better yet tell the homeless that die in the cold
US: Homeless die in frigid weather

Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
I guess they don't need homeless shelters in Florida. They can just make a tent and sleep on the beaches. That should make for a pretty sight.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I guess they don't need homeless shelters in Florida. They can just make a tent and sleep on the beaches. That should make for a pretty sight.
Acually, they would not be able to do that. You can't camp on a public beach.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:51 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Tell that to the homeless that move down here. Better yet tell the homeless that die in the cold
Lets not forget the many homeless that die of extreme heat:

Heat Hurting Homeless | Firstcoastnews.com | News

Weather: Heatwave's homeless victims die in obscurity

Old 07-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
That is true. Homeless die in heat too. That is the reason they come to Florida. So they only have to worry about the heat, not both.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
That is true. Homeless die in heat too. That is the reason they come to Florida. So they only have to worry about the heat, not both.
In Florida they have to worry about the heat and violence. Florida is one of the top states in homeless violence in the US. It seems that in Florida, beating up homeless people is a sport for some of the teenagers and adults.

Many homeless deal with violence, report shows - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Tampabay: Homeless violence up in '06

Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 AM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
In Florida they have to worry about the heat and violence. Florida is one of the top states in homeless violence in the US. It seems that in Florida, beating up homeless people is a sport for some of the teenagers and adults.

Many homeless deal with violence, report shows - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Tampabay: Homeless violence up in '06
Homeless people are susceptible to violence in almost any place. Considering the fact that the number of homeless who stay in Florida for part of the year is high (escaping the winters), it should not be a surprise that the reports of violence would be higher. The same can be said for places out West. I think you're grasping at straws here...

If you are trying to make a statement regarding the people who live in Florida and their tendencies towards committing these types of acts, let me again remind you that Florida is made up of many people from many places including the NE.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:

I can easily find the same amount, and more, of articles where the homeless dies in the heat too

While some of the “homeless” do perish in the extreme cold of Canadian winters, more die due the extreme heat in summers. [14] The first heat registry system in North America was set up in Toronto’s west end to address this problem in the summer of 2008.

Homelessness in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I use this example because Canada doesn't experience high heat, but they have very cold temperatures....yet more die in the heat than the ice cold temperatures.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
That is the number one reason people are starting to move away from FL.

BTW- someone is sending some insulting rep messages to me calling me stupid and retarded. Does this kid not realize that getting rep points is a good thing , and IM the stupid one.
Usually I get insulted for free.....you're getting reputation points.....maybe it will start a new trend.....difficult enough to build a good reputation...LOL....life is too short; not worth getting upset. I wish I would take my own advice.....lol..

Old 07-02-2009, 11:18 AM

59 posts, read 86,871 times
I do not care for the people in Florida, the lack of culture, and the unbearable humidity. Florida is great for a vacation to Orlando or Miami, but not to live. I would go with Pennsylvania, Philly to be exact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City