Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: America's Truly Finest city is...
San Diego 115 60.21%
Seattle 76 39.79%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 10:02 PM

37,565 posts, read 40,146,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
There are much better cities than these.
Well, there's probably a good deal of people who'd pick one of the two as a favorite among US cities. They're not really that wild as far as picks go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 10:06 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,148,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, there's probably a good deal of people who'd pick one of the two as a favorite among US cities. They're not really that wild as far as picks go.
I'd say San Diego and Seattle beat out nearly any city in a 1 v. 1 poll...so I'd love to hear which cities they think are better.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:20 PM

1,046 posts, read 637,597 times
San Diego and its not even close.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:20 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,798,100 times
San Diego. It has everything Seattle has but with better weather

Old 05-06-2020, 12:58 AM

1,526 posts, read 2,009,088 times
I wouldn't consider either as America's finest. However, if I had to choose one for relocation purposes, I'd go with San Diego.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:10 AM

7,550 posts, read 6,780,314 times
For historical context, the term “America’s Finest City” was a slogan given to San Diego by then San Diego Mayor Pete Wilson—nobody else and for no other reason—as a public relations stunt to save face after the City was initially chosen to host the 1972 Republican National Convention but was unprepared and it ended up being relocated to Miami.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...ml%3f_amp=true

I did not vote based on the title of the post. If I had to choose between these 2 cities, I would choose San Diego based primarily on weather.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-06-2020 at 05:57 AM..

Old 05-06-2020, 06:13 AM

5,033 posts, read 5,792,086 times
1. Urban Form/Neighborhoods: I'll call it a tie-Seattle is more urban, overall.. but there's a certain sense of je ne sais quoi, that I feel with San Diego by comparison. Seattle's lead perhaps extends once you leave the core, but the core I think is even or maybe even with an edge to San Diego on how inviting it feels. San Diego obviously has no areas like Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, etc. outside it's core, but since this is subjective, I'll say I like San Diego's urban form just as well-John Nolen, who I'm familiar with from Venice, FL-it is clear played a heavy part in it's built influence. Also... perhaps this is cheating though it doesn't feel like it too much, but taking the metro into account, I'm not sure that Seattle immediate surroundings has somewhere like Tijuana, and surrounding suburbs of San Diego even such as Coronado, Chula Vista and National City look relatively walkable by suburban standards, whereas in Seattle it seems to drop off faster.
2. Culture/Museums: Also one that I'd say is actually pretty competitive, and I will call it even especially if we are considering the San Diego Zoo and USS Midway, as museums for San Diego here. San Diego also has SoCal beach culture, is a craft beer hub and hosts major events like comic con. Now, Seattle does have a pretty good looking downtown art museum, an interesting music scene (at least historically), fine arts venues like Chihuly Garden and Glass.. and in terms of performing arts/theatre I would say it probably has a sizeable lead. But, all that said, these two to me are somewhat comparable here overall, even with one or another having edges in certain areas.
3. Food/Drink Scene: I've gotta go with Seattle overall here. It has a cocktail named after it, it is a primary point for coffee culture, and it has more diversified ethnic options as well as being a hub for seafood. That said, for my personal tastes, I could see just as much to be fascinated by in San Diego between the craft beer scene, Mexican food/fish tacos, and even other things like having a Little Italy.
4. Location: Hmm.. yeah I feel like so many of these are gonna come down to subjective preference. Would I rather be closer to one of the world's most dynamic and diverse and cosmopolitan city centers, right on the Mexican border for potential car and cruise trips there, and to other things like Vegas and the desert southwest? Or would I rather be close to perhaps the most livable city in North America, and an incredibly well designed one at that in the form of Vancouver, with the quirk and interest of a Portland nearby, the ability to take cruises/car trips to Alaska/Canada, and have beautiful lush Pacific Northwest nature surrounding? Again, it's pretty close to a tie for me.
5. Scenery: This one for me is Seattle, with the lushness present being the deciding factor. That said, San Diego is actually right on the Pacific, which creates pretty dynamic opportunities close in. Seattle's lead grows further out.
6. Economic Opportunity: This is the only one where I think Seattle wins without much room for movement, I think this is pretty clear here.
7. Amenities/Entertainment: Again.. comparable. I think Seattle is going to win amenities being a bigger city overall.. but San Diego might take entertainment, it feels like something is always passing through there and almost on a year round basis. Being close to LA I think helps here too.
8. Climate: Most would easily go with San Diego. Objectively I think there isn't much doubt SD wins. But, I like cool weather and seasons. Though, I'm not sure I'd like just how grey Seattle can be much of the year.
9. Other Intangibles (Retail, History, Transit, Schools, Safety, etc.): Seattle has better retail scene. San Diego has more interesting history/historic architecture. Seattle probably has a better transit system overall.. with the caveat that San Diego's lightrail system at this point appears larger, and has the ability to quickly get one to the Pacific Beaches, the Mexican Border, and even by regional train to relatively quickly get over to LA. Seattle almost certainly has better schools I'd think. San Diego overall is likely safer, though both are quite safe.
10. Where would you rather visit for a short/long weekend? I guess it depends. For a week or more, probably Seattle, given the access to the nature surrounding there. But for 3-5 days, San Diego, as I think it's best charms are perhaps more immediately available, geographically speaking.
11. Where would you rather live? Wherever offers me the best combination of Earnings/COL ratio.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:16 AM

5,033 posts, read 5,792,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
For historical context, the term “America’s Finest City” was a slogan given to San Diego by then San Diego Mayor Pete Wilson—nobody else and for no other reason—as a public relations stunt to save face after the City was initially chosen to host the 1972 Republican National Convention but was unprepared and it ended up being relocated to Miami.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...ml%3f_amp=true

I did not vote based on the title of the post. If I had to choose between these 2 cities, I would choose San Diego based primarily on weather.
Hahah-that is pretty funny-shouldn't Miami technically be the one holding that title then? Sort of like 2nd Rome, 3rd Rome, etc.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:33 AM

7,550 posts, read 6,780,314 times
Nah, we have our own (if a bit corny) slogan—The Magic City, which has to do with the rapid growth in population the city has experienced since its inception a little more than a century ago. (We also borrowed and modified that slogan from Birmingham).

I tend to agree with your assessment—Seattle wins on more urban metrics, including/adding Sea-Tac being a larger and hub airport (v San Diego’s weather/beach lifestyle)...both have good same day/overnight options—TJ/Ensenada/LA v Vancouver/Portland. Both cities appeal to outdoors enthusiasts. On the downside, both cities should have more professional sports teams than they presently do and both have a significant homeless issue.

“Finest” depends on a number of factors—career choice/economic situation and opportunities, lifestyle choice, climate preference, walkability, entertainment options, outdoor activities, transit, geographical proximity, cultural amenities, crime, cleanliness, infrastructure, etc etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Hahah-that is pretty funny-shouldn't Miami technically be the one holding that title then? Sort of like 2nd Rome, 3rd Rome, etc.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-06-2020 at 07:39 AM..

Old 05-06-2020, 06:57 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,879,670 times
"Finest" is a weird way of putting it. The vast majority of posts on C-D are opinions (as they should be and freely be allowed to be), so whatever.
I'd take San Diego over 95% of the cities in the country, even with it being in a state I find politically repulsive.
Seattle is pretty and green, so I should like it better than I do. I think I would have 40 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City