Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: America's Truly Finest city is...
San Diego 115 60.21%
Seattle 76 39.79%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 11:42 PM

8,890 posts, read 6,920,122 times

Advertisements

That's a hit piece by Sinclair, who's basically a Fox News equivalent. These have some truth, but they're also widely panned by people in Seattle.

My experience as a resident of the edge of Downtown Seattle is pretty normal. At the moment my area is pretty prosperous, because people are working from home and that's helping the takeout places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 12:08 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,758,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I'm opposite. The rain in Houston can be pretty terrifying if you're stuck outside. In big Houston downpours, you can go to zero visibility in seconds while you're driving and flash floodings are real concerns.

Seattle rain is a total nothingburger. And in the winter if I'm tired of the light drizzle that day, I just drive out east for about an hour and I'm in a winter wonderland covered in snow. Try doing that in Houston.

This past weekend, less than an hour out from downtown Seattle. (own photo)

This past weekend, less than an hour out from downtown Seattle. (own photo)

On a snowshoe hike this weekend. Less than an hr out from downtown Seattle. (own photo)
While not nearly as beautiful as the Cascades, most people probably don't know it's possible to drive from downtown SD to the snow-covered mountains in 37 mins.

Highway 79 exit in Descanso

Old 12-15-2020, 12:27 AM

11,855 posts, read 8,080,834 times
When did Seattle really start going downhill anyway? I lived out there between 2010 and 2013 and it didn't seem any different than anywhere USA in terms of urban issues at that time. I was in San Francisco in 2015 albeit my stay was also short and didn't really see the en-masse homeless camps everyone raves about either. Its seeming like all this stuff just surmounted all over the Pacific overnight.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:47 AM

955 posts, read 615,918 times
America's finest city? We have no other options?

I like both places, but I would choose SD as I get older my bones appreciate the warmth. Love the access to LA and Mexico, too.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:09 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,546,874 times
This has to be a trick question, lol. Neither is even close to be the "finest" (which is wildly subjective). Now, between these two, San Diego is much better, IMO. Both are very expensive, but San Diego doesn't have Seattle's social issues, cloudy/wet/dank/depressing climate, and the "Seattle Freeze". San Diego has great beaches, MUCH better climate, and nicer residents. Though I think San Diego is the best city in the state to live, the extreme, oppressive California politics and its crazy high cost of living are huge downsides that ruins the once great quality of life California enjoyed many years ago.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:26 PM

7,424 posts, read 6,594,580 times
A little context: San Diego calls and promotes itself as “America’s Finest City” so I think that factored into the way the OP structured the title and body of this thread. The origins of that label were discussed earlier. Looks like San Diego and Seattle are the OP’s 2 favorite cities and he is looking to see which one is “finer” (or finest, in HiS book). Don’t read too much into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
This has to be a trick question, lol. Neither is even close to be the "finest" (which is wildly subjective). Now, between these two, San Diego is much better, IMO. Both are very expensive, but San Diego doesn't have Seattle's social issues, cloudy/wet/dank/depressing climate, and the "Seattle Freeze". San Diego has great beaches, MUCH better climate, and nicer residents. Though I think San Diego is the best city in the state to live, the extreme, oppressive California politics and its crazy high cost of living are huge downsides that ruins the once great quality of life California enjoyed many years ago.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:30 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,433,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That's a hit piece by Sinclair, who's basically a Fox News equivalent. These have some truth, but they're also widely panned by people in Seattle.

My experience as a resident of the edge of Downtown Seattle is pretty normal. At the moment my area is pretty prosperous, because people are working from home and that's helping the takeout places.
Same. I live in QA which is pretty close to downtown. Overall my area is very prosperous. There have been more tents in some public areas since Covid, at least in LQA. But honestly is putting them in crowded indoor shelters any better with Covid? My neighborhood park bustles with children playing. Overall it's a great city and I would take Seattle over Chicago and Houston (places I've previously lived) any day of the week, tents or no tents. The only city that I feel slightly safer in that I've lived before is Boston, but even it has a rising homeless problem. Boston is also helped by its long winters. And the drug problem in southern New England is worse than Seattle.

The idea that somehow Seattle is in imminent decline or unique in its current predicament is not grounded in reality. The coronavirus is temporary and will eventually be solved. Rents have declined a little, mainly in the large apartment buildings, because of Covid, while at the same time demand for SFH within the city has only increased. Single family homes have multiple offers and are sold in days in my area.

The naysayers remind of the fools who sold their Cambridge MA homes in the 1970s to move into an exurb of an exurb in Boston, because there are some homeless panhandlers on Central. Worked out really well for them.

Last edited by Guineas; 12-15-2020 at 02:58 PM..

Old 12-15-2020, 04:13 PM

8,890 posts, read 6,920,122 times
Lower Queen Anne is a good example of a high-profile garbage-strewn spot or two (NW corner of 1st & Mercer is bad) but general urban health otherwise. I usually hit Met Market or Safeway once every few weeks for stuff my Belltown corner stores don't sell...like the all-important eggnog stockpile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City