Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which NE City would work best for middle class black Family?
New York City 49 14.41%
Philadelphia 176 51.76%
Boston 35 10.29%
Providence 10 2.94%
Harrisburg 11 3.24%
Newark 21 6.18%
Wilmington 20 5.88%
Jersey City 18 5.29%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 01:03 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Mantua? (rougher) or Mt airy? (suburban)
Now that you mention it, either one applies, but I was thinking Mantua, which remains off the radar screens of most middle-class households. Next-door Powelton Village, however, does make it onto their radar screens.

And since we've been talking schools, Drexel is building a university-assisted public school at Powelton Village's southern edge. I belive that Drexel President John Fry intends to make lightning strike twice; he was the COO at Penn when that university built such a school in Spruce Hill in U-City. That school is wildly oversubscribed; even if you live in its catchment, you still have to win a lottery to get in.

It will be interesting to see how far north or west its catchment boundaries are drawn. I can't imagine the attendance zone not taking in at least some of Mantua and maybe all of West Powelton, also a less-affluent neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 01:06 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Now that you mention it, either one applies, but I was thinking Mantua, which remains off the radar screens of most middle-class households. Next-door Powelton Village, however, does make it onto their radar screens.
Wasn't really sure which one I've been chilled in, migh have been on the border. further down Lancaster Ave was definitely rougher. I might prefer Powellton Village in reality. I was also thinking me as a halftime co-parent and not really a full fledge "family"

EDIT: Yea its Mantua, i have a good college friend on AveStreet. I like the area a lot. He has a very cool two floor apartment with great views of the city form the roof. I see the gentrification in the area..

I liked it alot. Might head up this weekend tbh. Some of its rough but its not a whole lot different than Point Breeze to me. Location is further out. As a single man Mantua would be fun.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
They're all bad. The big outlier with Philly is crime and blight not schools
I refer you to my post immediately above yours.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Wasn't really sure which one I've been chilled in, migh have been on the border. further down Lancaster Ave was definitely rougher. I might prefer Powellton Village in reality. I was also thinking me as a halftime co-parent and not really a full fledge "family"

EDIT: Yea its Mantua, i have a good college friend on AveStreet. I like the area a lot. He has a very cool two floor apartment with great views of the city form the roof. I see the gentrification in the area..

I liked it alot. Might head up this weekend tbh. Some of its rough but its not a whole lot different than Point Breeze to me. Location is further out. As a single man Mantua would be fun.
If you're a single guy, I could see where Mantua could be an option. Someone has to make the first move.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
If you're a single guy, I could see where Mantua could be an option. Someone has to make the first move.
Sorry my friend lives on *Haverford Ave

Old 07-13-2022, 01:40 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Have not read this entire thread, but see that Philly is leading the poll. I seriously wonder though if anyone has considered the state of Philadelphia public schools. They are widely considered pretty bad, and that could be a big deterrent for a family considering living within the city limits. Many middle-class Black families leave cities like Philly (New York too) just because of that. Of the three big cities listed, I'd say Philly by far has the worst public system.

Of course if we're talking metro areas there are fine school systems in suburbs around all of these cities.
I was thinking in terms of say public high schools, wouldn't a school such as Cardozo in Queens be good options for families in that live in SE Queens? While the school is in Bayside in NE Queens, it is a diverse school with generally good results: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000042131
https://data.nysed.gov/enrollment.ph...d=800000042131

Old 07-14-2022, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Sorry my friend lives on *Haverford Ave
That's Powelton Village.

You don't enter Mantua until you cross Spring Garden Street headed northward.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
That's Powelton Village.

You don't enter Mantua until you cross Spring Garden Street headed northward.
Haverford Ave is north of Spring Garden Street, but its still in the transition zone. I had the opportunity to park like a block and a half north of Haverford Ave and its definitely grittier there. BUt Haverford Ave doesnt seem as nice as the true Powelton Village neighborhood. Its sort of a tweener.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...!4d-75.1968524

Old 07-14-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Haverford Ave is north of Spring Garden Street, but its still in the transition zone. I had the opportunity to park like a block and a half north of Haverford Ave and its definitely grittier there. BUt Haverford Ave doesnt seem as nice as the true Powelton Village neighborhood. Its sort of a tweener.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...!4d-75.1968524
Got Haverford and Powelton avenues confused in my head. My bad. I remembered that both of them crossed the grid at some point, but that point's much further west for Haverford Avenue.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Got Haverford and Powelton avenues confused in my head. My bad. I remembered that both of them crossed the grid at some point, but that point's much further west for Haverford Avenue.
West Powelton and Mantua have very similar demographics. Powelton Village is much more leafy, victorian and whiter. This is going buy street view. Per the street view- Id rather stay in West Powelton than either. Id hope to be in PV if i had kids with me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City