Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2021, 11:37 AM

176 posts, read 175,153 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge fan of the Miami Design District. It is really impressive. As a defined "district" its list of luxury stores is rivalled only by Rodeo Drive and is better than most cities entire lists. What I think sets it apart is its scale, walkability, the interior designer collection, and stunning architecture. Historically it was a neighborhood that was exclusively interior design but in the last few years has added the apparel, restaurants, museums, and some artfully innovative parking structures. While parts of it have been built from scratch it feels more organic than other shopping areas I've been to.
https://www.miamidesigndistrict.net/

For the Christmas season its been hosting and drawing crowds to the North American premiere of Louis Vuitton's Men's collection by Virgil Abloh after initial stops in Shanghai and Tokyo.

https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/m...1miamidistrict

Here's a leisurely stroll through it and the adjacent Midtown Miami.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tm9pokpxD4

Last edited by sobchbud1; 01-17-2021 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 11:48 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Design District also hosts free musical concerts and Concours exotic car events. I had a chance to enjoy the Celia Cruz All Stars performance in 2019.

https://celiacruz.com/the-miami-desi...ruz-all-stars/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EboR_T4429A

Regrettably, a couple of the better restaurants in the immediate district have closed—Brian Kilgore’s Ember and Estefan Kitchen—one of the best Cuban restaurants in the city that also had live entertainment. Swan/Bar Bevy remains one of THE most popular and must go to restaurants/lounges in the city (off the radar for tourists, but a must for locals).

Agree, a great shopping district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobchbud1 View Post
I'm a huge fan of the Miami Design District. It is really impressive. As a defined "district" its list of luxury stores is rivalled only by Rodeo Drive and is better than most cities entire lists. What I think sets it apart is its scale, walkability, the interior designer collection, and stunning architecture. Historically it was a neighborhood that was exclusively interior design but in the last few years has added the apparel, restaurants, museums, and some artfully innovative parking structures. While parts of it have been built from scratch it feels more organic than other shopping areas I've been to.
https://www.miamidesigndistrict.net/

For the Christmas season its been hosting and drawing crowds to the North American premiere of Louis Vuitton's Men's collection by Virgil Abloh after initial stops in Shanghai and Tokyo.

https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/m...1miamidistrict

Here's a leisurely stroll through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tm9pokpxD4

Last edited by elchevere; 01-17-2021 at 12:08 PM..

Old 01-17-2021, 12:20 PM

176 posts, read 175,153 times
Yes there is a lot of Covid attrition in the high end restaurants, but it is good to see Ember's neighbors - Le Jardiniere and L'atelier de Joel Robuchon made it so far.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:28 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
I like the ideas of actual districts like this. When I think of my favorites in the country that are very fashion oriented - it's definitely:

- Rodeo Drive: Beverly Hills (LA area)
- SoHo: NYC
- Design District: Miami
- Gold Coast: Chicago
- Union Square (? - I always refer to it as this): San Francisco

I don't really count malls (indoor or outdoor) with this. Honorable mention here would be 5th Avenue/Madison Ave. I like it but not nearly as much as the 5 above. Las Vegas, although there's a lot especially on Las Vegas Boulevard..not my favorite. Too spread apart even though you can walk between everything but not the same as the 5 above.

There are also some other districts not as much on the national radar like Williamsburg in Brooklyn, Wicker Park/Bucktown in Chicago, etc.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:22 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times
A French boutique bookstore I never heard of, named Assouline, just opened here in Houston. Other current locations are Dallas, LA, SF, Miami and NY.

Anyone know more about them?

Old 02-24-2021, 02:46 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Bvlgari's Dallas location is officially gone from their website.

Also, an apparently exclusive jeweler that was in Dallas (called Uno De 50) recently closed their location at the Galleria.

Last edited by citidata18; 02-24-2021 at 03:04 PM..

Old 02-24-2021, 02:54 PM

I have walked past the one at Bal Harbour Shops but not walked in....there was/is an interesting Cigar book / humidor due out in a few weeks and I was waiting until then to have a reason to step inside the store.

Not exactly retail, but Mr C Hotels—boutique hotels owned by the Cipriani family originally opened in Beverly Hills in the US—have expanded to Coconut Grove (Miami) and NYC fairly recently. Only 3 locations thus far in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
A French boutique bookstore I never heard of, named Assouline, just opened here in Houston. Other current locations are Dallas, LA, SF, Miami and NY.

Anyone know more about them?

Old 02-24-2021, 03:00 PM

Must be exclusive....that cigar book / humidor has a suggested price of $995

Looks like they are only in Houston, Dallas, LA, SF, Miami (plus Palm Beach) and NYC (multiple locations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
We have one of those in Houston. I know this because I came accross an article of the Post Oak Hotel joining this series. i didn't realize it was that exclusive.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:02 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Bvlgari's Dallas location is officially gone from their website.

Also, an apparently exclusive jeweler that was in Dallas recently closed (called Uno De 50) recently closed their locatiom at the Galleria.
I have a feeling Bvlgari may reopen. We shall see.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:05 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I have a feeling Bvlgari may reopen. We shall see.
Probably. Bvlgari is too big to not have a presence in Dallas. Maybe once the economy goes back into a bull market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City