Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2022, 09:45 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Late to this thread but I feel like something like this just has to be subjective and must go by gut feel as there are too many brands that could or wouldn't pass the sniff test, and if you're just going by ultra high end brands a lot of cities will get overlooked.

Anyone got an updated city tier list for 2022?
Way back in the thread (I forget what pages), there is a solid list of brands/designers that posters agree qualify as luxury. The "lowest" end brands are Theory, Vince, Rag & Bone types and then all the way up to Fendi, Prada, Van Cleef, etc. So it doesn't appear to be subjective.

Someone was working on an updated list, not sure how its progressing.

But the general ranking by count / options is along the lines of (in order)...

New York
LA
Miami
Houston
Vegas
Dallas
Chicago
Boston
DC
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Phoenix/Scottsdale

Then it drops off from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 10:15 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Way back in the thread (I forget what pages), there is a solid list of brands/designers that posters agree qualify as luxury. The "lowest" end brands are Theory, Vince, Rag & Bone types and then all the way up to Fendi, Prada, Van Cleef, etc. So it doesn't appear to be subjective.

New York
LA
Miami
Houston
Vegas
Dallas
Chicago
Boston
DC
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Phoenix/Scottsdale

Well, given that you can put price tags on what we're talking about here, yeah, you can put together a relatively "objective" measurement of who's high-end and who isn't, but since we do know that there are products/stores where the goods are overpriced, and since taste is a matter of opinion, there will always be an element of subjectivity and impermanence to any iconic list of high-end brands, merchants or products. Before 1990, who knew who Jimmy Choo was?

But the names at the end of your sentence above have been around a while (a good long while in the case of Van Cleef & Arpels*), so it's not totally subjective either but maybe rather the result of the collective judgement of cognoscenti over many years, or even many decades.

*But come to think of it, I can offer Abercrombie & Fitch as a counterexample of sorts. That company began as the outdoor outfitter to the One Percent (didn't they equip Theodore Roosevelt?), but now it's just another upscale mall chain.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Well, given that you can put price tags on what we're talking about here, yeah, you can put together a relatively "objective" measurement of who's high-end and who isn't, but since we do know that there are products/stores where the goods are overpriced, and since taste is a matter of opinion, there will always be an element of subjectivity and impermanence to any iconic list of high-end brands, merchants or products. Before 1990, who knew who Jimmy Choo was?

But the names at the end of your sentence above have been around a while (a good long while in the case of Van Cleef & Arpels*), so it's not totally subjective either but maybe rather the result of the collective judgement of cognoscenti over many years, or even many decades.

*But come to think of it, I can offer Abercrombie & Fitch as a counterexample of sorts. That company began as the outdoor outfitter to the One Percent (didn't they equip Theodore Roosevelt?), but now it's just another upscale mall chain.
I get your point, but if we start discussing price tags and personal spending preferences then this thread will go down a rabbit hole because any luxury brand could be considered overpriced or tasteless to some... But the thread is about high-end shopping destinations (objective answers). The thread also discusses what brands qualify... So someone should post the list of luxury brands and you point out any that you find questionable.

Separately, it appears the thread takes into account present day vs. the early 1900s... Abercrombie hasn't been considered a luxury brand in our lifetimes (or if ever), but it's a storied brand for sure (as you mentioned). But Jimmy Choo started as a luxury shoemaker in the 80s and remains one today. The fact that it (he) didn't become well known until the 90s doesn't lower its stature.

Last edited by cpomp; 11-05-2022 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-05-2022, 12:37 PM

9,851 posts, read 6,566,773 times
R1070 previously asked about if the Dior in the Galleria would result in closing of River Oaks Dior. Stopped by earlier, they’re saying that they plan to keep both. Crazy considering they’re only like half a mile apart. I guess Dior is big enough support both. Didn’t think they’d close the River Oaks one since it’s a flagship location

Old 11-05-2022, 02:51 PM

496 posts, read 350,674 times
Quote:

New York
LA
Miami
Houston
Vegas
Dallas
Chicago
Boston
DC
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Phoenix/Scottsdale

you forgot SF

Old 11-05-2022, 02:54 PM

496 posts, read 350,674 times
Quote:
I get your point, but if we start discussing price tags and personal spending preferences then this thread will go down a rabbit hole because any luxury brand could be considered overpriced or tasteless to some... But the thread is about high-end shopping destinations (objective answers). The thread also discusses what brands qualify... So someone should post the list of luxury brands and you point out any that you find questionable.

Separately, it appears the thread takes into account present day vs. the early 1900s... Abercrombie hasn't been considered a luxury brand in our lifetimes (or if ever), but it's a storied brand for sure (as you mentioned). But Jimmy Choo started as a luxury shoemaker in the 80s and remains one today. The fact that it (he) didn't become well known until the 90s doesn't lower its stature.
agree 100%

Old 11-05-2022, 04:02 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
you forgot SF
I definitely think Honolulu belongs too

Old 11-06-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
you forgot SF
Darn, good catch. I knew I forgot a city. SF would likely fall near Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I definitely think Honolulu belongs too
Another good catch, definitely up there.

The list of cities is actually on page 31. Likely some changes in totals, but the general ranking is probably about the same.

Old 11-06-2022, 02:56 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:

New York
LA
Miami
Houston
Vegas
Dallas
Chicago
Boston
DC
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Phoenix/Scottsdale

Surprised Houston would rank above Vegas. There's just so much luxury retail in Vegas.

Old 11-06-2022, 03:10 PM

9,851 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Surprised Houston would rank above Vegas. There's just so much luxury retail in Vegas.
I think Vegas’ total eclipses Houston by number of stores when we count each store rather than each brand. Because Vegas has 2-3 of seemingly everything. Where Vegas falls behind others is in smaller (not less luxurious) brands. Such as Isabel Morant. For the really big names Vegas has basically 2 of everything which would probably comfortably place it in 4th. Although New York is a tier of its own regardless, the difference between NY and LA would widen a lot if each store is counted as one rather than doubling up brands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City