Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2021, 06:42 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
the luxury level of the latter two is much more inconsistent than the former two. There are some Bloomingdales/Nordstroms I know that certainly shouldn't be called luxury...
True, Nordstrom especially is all over the board depending on location. Bloomingdales tends to be more consistent with its more upscale offerings (I am thinking Sandro, The Kooples, Monclear, Kenzo, Theory, etc., although not all locations carry those lines).

I would still include but we can let ParaguaneroSwag decide since he/she is putting the list together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The original Bloomingdales and Nordstrom correct? Not the discount version? Either way, you're right though. Sak's is a notch over Neiman Marcus and the gap between those two and Bloomingdales and Nordstrom is fairly large. With Nordstrom being at the bottom of course.
Yes, the full-line department stores, not Nordstrom Rack or Bloomingdales The Outlet. (and agree with you assessment too).

Last edited by cpomp; 07-05-2021 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 09:13 PM

496 posts, read 350,674 times
Do you guys think it is worth making a list of luxury hotels?

Old 07-11-2021, 11:21 PM

254 posts, read 113,901 times
Quote:
The original Bloomingdales and Nordstrom correct? Not the discount version? Either way, you're right though. Sak's is a notch over Neiman Marcus and the gap between those two and Bloomingdales and Nordstrom is fairly large. With Nordstrom being at the bottom of course.
The new Nordstrom's in Manhattan on billionaires row is like no other Nordstrom's. It's the most high end out of all of them. Total of 300,000 sqft of shopping and Mens store is seperate

Old 07-12-2021, 12:16 AM

9,851 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
Do you guys think it is worth making a list of luxury hotels?
High end clothing stores just like fine dining chains would be great. The problem with these two is that while this is a great topic, it’s not only based on chains. Clothing stores for the most part rely on National or global chains. You find 5 star hotels of both

That said, google has their list of 5 star hotels as well. So one can easily pull up 5 star hotels in each city and list them according to Google.

It can be done as a series:

-5 Star Hotels
-Designer Clothes Stores
-Fine Dining
-Luxury Car dealerships

Luxury gyms are a thought, but outside of Equinox, there’s not many gyms out there that fit the bill.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:20 AM

9,851 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Generally luxury renowned hotel brands: Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Rosewood, Park Hyatt some others.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
High end clothing stores just like fine dining chains would be great. The problem with these two is that while this is a great topic, it’s not only based on chains. Clothing stores for the most part rely on National or global chains. You find 5 star hotels of both

That said, google has their list of 5 star hotels as well. So one can easily pull up 5 star hotels in each city and list them according to Google.

It can be done as a series:

-5 Star Hotels
-Designer Clothes Stores
-Fine Dining
-Luxury Car dealerships

Luxury gyms are a thought, but outside of Equinox, there’s not many gyms out there that fit the bill.
Agree. Clothing is the most matter of fact and easy to measure. Gyms are meh, it is really Equinox and Lifetime Fitness. Every city has nice gyms, but that is a boring comparison.

I would say the most questionable is fine dining since most big cities have the typical high-end chains (Del Friscos, Capital Grille, etc.). But in the end, local fine dining establishments are what makes a city great. But we can still do the list.

Quote:
Generally luxury renowned hotel brands: Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Rosewood, Park Hyatt some others.
Hotels are among my favorite topic

Under Marriott brand I would add W, Edition, and JW. There may be more under other hotel chains, I have to check.

In addition to the chains, it is easy to find top local luxury hotels in each major city (as you said).

Last edited by cpomp; 07-12-2021 at 06:56 AM..

Old 07-12-2021, 06:55 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
True, but only a few/several cities/metros have restaurants (original or limited outpost, not dozens) from a top chef such as a Thomas Keller, Jean-Georges, Daniel Boulud, the late Joel Robuchon, Jose Andres, etc….ditto for some high end foreign restaurants with outposts in but a few US cities such as Cipriani, etc….but likely too many to list when including local restaurants unless they, too, have only opened 1 or a few outposts (not dozens) in other cities (and let’s not include in name only Wolfgang Puck Cafes found at airports).

Maybe add 1 Hotels, Fairmont and Setai to the ones you listed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agree. Clothing is the most matter of fact and easy to measure. Gyms are meh, it is really Equinox and Lifetime Fitness. Every city has nice gyms, but that is a boring comparison.

I would say the hardest is fine dining since most big cities have the typical high-end chains (Del Friscos, Capital Grille, etc.). But in the end, local fine dining establishments are what makes a city great. But we can still do the list.

Hotels are among my favorite topic

Under Marriott brand I would add W, Edition, and JW.

There may be more under other hotel chains, I have to check.

In addition to the chains, it is easy to find top local luxury hotels in each major city (as you said).

Old 07-12-2021, 06:55 AM

176 posts, read 174,578 times
just a gut feeling, but diversification just might increase the gap between the top three and the others....

Old 07-12-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
True, but only a few/several cities/metros have restaurants (original or limited outpost, not dozens) from a top chef such as a Thomas Keller, Jean-Georges, Daniel Boulud, the late Joel Robuchon, Jose Andres, etc….ditto for some high end foreign restaurants with outposts in but a few to US cities such as Cipriani, etc….but likely too many to list when including local restaurants unless they, too, have only opened 1 or a few outposts in other cities (and let’s not include in name only Wolfgang Puck Cafes found at airports).

Maybe add 1 Hotels to the ones you listed?
Very true, didn't even think of that part. That will require some research on ParaguaneroSwag's end to track down most notable chefs and their outposts. I know between NYC, PHL, and DC, there are quite a few, and they all intermingle between the 3 cities nowadays.

I'm sure ParaguaneroSwag will add 1 Hotel, they certainly quality.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:15 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I’m of the belief that once a restaurant expands beyond 10 outlets the quality can become inconsistent….one of the under the radar conglomerates that bucks this trend is Turkish based Dogus Group which is the parent company of La Petite Maison, Salt Bae’s Nusr-et (you either love or hate this place) and Zuma—all with but a few-several US locations in addition to restaurants in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.

One does not have to worry about product quality diminishing as much or at all with increased retail expansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Very true, didn't even think of that part. That will require some research on ParaguaneroSwag's end to track down most notable chefs and their outposts. I know between NYC, PHL, and DC, there are quite a few, and they all intermingle between the 3 cities nowadays.

I'm sure ParaguaneroSwag will add 1 Hotel, they certainly quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City