Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2021, 08:53 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I mean. It’s flashier than Houston and Dallas. Or atleast as flashy. I think it all boils down to wealth. Atlanta is flashier than these three but it’s behind as well. To sustainably keep clients at many of these retailers, the demographic is pretty niche and wealth is what really drives them there.
I don't think it's flashier, but it is very wealthy. Dallas seems to have more ultra-wealth when compared to a lot of other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 08:57 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Is it really that far fetched to say that the Miami metro has as good of upscale shopping as the L.A. metro? On that ranking posted earlier Miami had almost the same amount of high-end locations as L.A. despite being half the size. Miami also has two of the top 10 largest malls in the U.S. with one of them being really upscale. They're even trying to build another mall down there which would be the largest mall in the U.S. when built.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Dream_Miami

It also has the mall with by far the highest sales per foot in the entire world. All this while being half the size of L.A.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...r-square-foot/

High-end Locations

1. New York (95)

2. Los Angeles (85)

3. Miami/South Florida (82)

4. Houston (64)

5. San Francisco Bay Area (61)

6. Vegas (59)

7. Dallas/Fort Worth (49)

8. Chicago (47)

9. Boston (37)

T-10. Atlanta/Washington DC (32)
And these numbers will continue to fluctuate as new stores open and some stores close.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:00 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Damn Philly..but also that makes sense.
One thing Philadelphia (city) really needs to work on is shopping. Not much to offer these days, even in Center City. At least the food and cool sites make up for it, lol.

A bulk of the region's high-end shopping is in KoP or other nearby suburbs, similar to Scottsdale for Phoenix. From my last measure, I think Philly area is at 25 (not including multiples), which ties at #11 with Phoenix. (the previous list did not update openings in several cities).

But I don't consider any city in the Northeast outside of New York to be a "fashion center", even if there is a lot of high-end shopping.

Last edited by cpomp; 07-13-2021 at 07:15 AM..

Old 07-13-2021, 08:20 AM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
And these numbers will continue to fluctuate as new stores open and some stores close.
Yeah this is why in drawing up a 2021 list. Any brands you want to add, lmk now

Old 07-13-2021, 08:27 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
A bulk of the region's high-end shopping is in KoP or other nearby suburbs, similar to Scottsdale for Phoenix. From my last measure, I think Philly area is at 25 (not including multiples), which ties at #11 with Phoenix. (the previous list did not update openings in several cities).
Exactly. I think the Philly area had actually been gaining a lot of traction at the high-end retail sector in the past several years (prior to COVID), especially after the opening of the KoP expansion.

But the obvious proximity to a global fashion mecca (NYC) has made attracting high-end retail I believe more of an uphill battle for the Philadelphia area historically compared to peer cities.

Even so, I think there's so much obsession with chain retail evidenced on this thread, whereas a city like Philadelphia also has a number of really fantastic local institutions serving the high-end market (Joan Shepp, Boyd's, Sophy Curson), and a plethora of smaller, locally-owned boutiques. To me, that's the kind of measure that speaks to more depth of the shopping scene.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:36 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Sounds like Philly experiences the same thing v NYC that San Diego did with its neighbors to the north….I often had to drive up to LA or South Coast Plaza in OC to find boutiques and/or high end brands I shop that did not have a presence in SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Exactly. I think the Philly area had actually been gaining a lot of traction at the high-end retail sector in the past several years (prior to COVID), especially after the opening of the KoP expansion.

But the obvious proximity to a global fashion mecca (NYC) has made attracting high-end retail I believe more of an uphill battle for the Philadelphia area historically compared to peer cities.

Even so, I think there's so much obsession with chain retail evidenced on this thread, whereas a city like Philadelphia also has a number of really fantastic local institutions serving the high-end market (Joan Shepp, Boyd's, Sophy Curson), and a plethora of smaller, locally-owned boutiques. To me, that's the kind of measure that speaks to more depth of the shopping scene.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-13-2021 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-13-2021, 10:32 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Sounds like Philly experiences the same thing v NYC that San Diego did with its neighbors to the north….I often had to drive up to LA or South Coast Plaza in OC to find boutiques and/or high end brands I shop that did not have a presence in SD.
Yep, that makes perfect sense--the SD-LA analogy is definitely a good one.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:40 AM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yep, that makes perfect sense--the SD-LA analogy is definitely a good one.
To a much lesser degree, Houston and Dallas being close to each other and both being magnets for these make them miss out on a potential. Such as Dallas with Moncler and Houston with Alexander McQueen etc.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:19 AM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
...no. its actually not like that at all.
I’ll concede and add Miami to the list

Old 07-13-2021, 11:27 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I’ll concede and add Miami to the list
Being totally honest places like ATL SF BOS Chicago are much different in this regard than a place like Baltimore Denver or Pittsburgh, there is a big gap in between how people dress to go out, access/location of quality retail, variety of retail, and prices of clothes. It's definitely worth note. Its not "everything else".

Never mind the difference in fine dining outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City