Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2023, 01:03 PM

9,416 posts, read 9,403,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post

Which is not far off from what you said above. Except your definition of “malls” and mine are probably a tad different. Your “suburban shopping malls” may be what I referred to as “lifestyle centers”.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/sho...ographers-lens

https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...ny-2022-10?amp
I agree the average "suburban mall" has long been on its way out, but luxury suburban malls are the exception because there are fewer and luxury brands consolidate in one regional location.

So Montclair meant that the destination for luxury shopping in many US cities are suburban malls versus traditional high streets (which are common in Europe, as you know).

For example...

Houston: The Galleria
Philadelphia: King of Prussia
Atlanta: Phipps Plaza
Phoenix: Fashion Square
DC: Tysons
San Jose: Westfield Valley Fair
Dallas: North Park Center
Detroit: Somerset
etc...

Last edited by cpomp; 12-08-2023 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 01:32 PM

7,457 posts, read 6,620,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not in the US. The biggest sales per sq ft in the US are in suburban shopping malls. Manhattan and other actual downtown shopping districts and streets is the exception, not the rule in this country.

On the other hand, this article from the WSJ is titled: Luxury Stores Are Bursting With Unsold Stuff
https://www.wsj.com/business/retail/...sales-f43f3da0

Not just here, but around the world---so we'll see how this trend affects expansions in the future.

A brand I shop (or did), Canali, closed stores in Miami (Bal Harbour) and South Coast Plaza (maybe other locations as well). The NYC flagship suggested they should/might be reopening again but that remains to be seen.

Old 12-08-2023, 01:38 PM

1,094 posts, read 602,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I think Montclair meant the destination for luxury shopping in many US cities happens to be a mall versus the traditional main street (which is more common in Europe).

For example...

Suburbs of NYC: Americana Manhasset, Short Hills, Garden State Plaza
etc...

I agree the average suburban mall has long been on it's way out, but the exceptions are the luxury centers.
Got it. But as someone who worked in luxury fashion (Chanel, Louis Vuitton and Hermès.-in house PR), lived in SoHo/Nolita, and did mostly online shopping (ironically I hate shopping.) I did not and don’t find any of the above-mentioned shopping establishments all that impressive. In NYC I worked near 57th St near Bergdorf’s/Plaza Hotel and all the Upper 5th stores (all surrounded around Saks Fifth Avenue.)-I would prefer the old Barney’s New York (RIP) and sometimes Bergdorf’s, in and out 5 mins, done. I much prefer the store front design, aesthetics and vibe of SoHo, Greene St between Prince and Houston block is my favorite: all white aesthetics, high ceiling, cast iron and not as busy touristy as the corner of Prince St. (between Mercer and Greene.)

I guess I don’t like very touristy crowd. I tend to shy away from those places and certainly rarely went to suburban shopping malls. (Although I liked to buy Chanel handbags remotely from L.A at Americans Manhasset so no sales tax.-still prefer online shopping. I just passed all kinds of luxury boutiques in Las Vegas.-completely uninterested in shopping in person.)

I understand what you and Montclair are saying though.

Old 12-08-2023, 01:44 PM

20,529 posts, read 33,635,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
HPV is literally one square block, so its not quite extensive enough to warrant a place on this list. Its just a glorified strip mall that came of age at the dawn of the auto era. If anything, simply eliminating the parking mid-block and setting up another row of shops in the middle with some parking garages (even underground parking to prevent the bulldozing of the surrounding SFHs) would have made this parcel much more of a destination. Its only served by one bus line and is over two miles from the nearest DART station, and the NorthPark Center and even to a degree Knox Street where you'll find an Apple store also robs some of its full potential than if the surrounding blocks in a more traditionally urban city was full of retail, shops, and even a hotel or two. It's designed for residents and not so much for tourists like most destinations on this list. I'd even rate CityCenter DC above it.
Yeah I pointed this out a few months ago about HPV.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/65327309-post708.html

Old 12-08-2023, 10:04 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,332,508 times
HP Village has its pros, but the surface parking (which isn’t going anywhere for a long time) isn’t what I view as one of them. It’s my understanding that the owners view the close by parking as a pro so shoppers can easily access shops and restaurants. Comparing it to River Oaks District in Houston, there are things HP Village has over it and vice versa.

Old 12-09-2023, 03:06 AM

36,686 posts, read 67,691,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree the average "suburban mall" has long been on its way out, but luxury suburban malls are the exception because there are fewer and luxury brands consolidate in one regional location.

So Montclair meant that the destination for luxury shopping in many US cities are suburban malls versus traditional high streets (which are common in Europe, as you know).

For example...

Dallas: North Park Center
Detroit: Somerset
etc...
Yup, that's what I meant. +1

Old 12-23-2023, 03:56 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,332,508 times
AMIRI is opening in Dallas’ NorthPark, next to where Givenchy is going in.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:24 PM

44 posts, read 29,809 times
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...ening-feature/

First round of luxury tenants announced for Vancouver’s Oakridge Park

Alexander Wang (new)
Brunello Cucinelli
Christian Louboutin (new)
Louis Vuitton
Maison Margiela (new)
Max Mara
Miu Miu (new)
Moncler
Prada
Versace

Old 02-15-2024, 02:10 PM

554 posts, read 415,243 times
Balenciaga, Loewe and Akris are opening boutiques on Oak St. in Chicago.

Cartier opened a new two-story location in the former Barney's at Oak/Rush. There's been a lot of activity over the past year with Amiri, Celine, Bruno Cuccinelli, Bottega Veneta and Burdeen's all opening new stores in the district.

Old 02-15-2024, 03:53 PM

10,014 posts, read 6,705,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Balenciaga, Loewe and Akris are opening boutiques on Oak St. in Chicago.

Cartier opened a new two-story location in the former Barney's at Oak/Rush. There's been a lot of activity over the past year with Amiri, Celine, Bruno Cuccinelli, Bottega Veneta and Burdeen's all opening new stores in the district.
Great news for Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City