Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2020, 10:36 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,572 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville, FL - 6 (4 murders and 2 pending classification)
Orlando, FL - 3 I think

Outside of Jacksonville, it's been difficult to get accurate counts for the Florida cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 02:01 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
much safer to live in Chicago or Baltimore than in Sao Paulo, despite somewhat comparable murder rates.
Chicago and B/more does not even have a similar homicide rate

Old 01-21-2020, 02:13 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Chicago and B/more does not even have a similar homicide rate
Per/capita is the absolute baseline measuring metric and doesn't directly correlate to real world safety. In the real world Baltimore, Philly, St. Louis or Chicago might as well be Disney-world compared to some of the inner cities in Brazil or Mexico.

I'd also put paychecks that a substantial amount of murders in Brazil/Mexicos get swept under the rug let alone are reported.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:21 AM

593 posts, read 667,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Jacksonville, FL - 6 (4 murders and 2 pending classification)
Orlando, FL - 3 I think

Outside of Jacksonville, it's been difficult to get accurate counts for the Florida cities.
St Pete is at one and Tampa is at zero still. I track them as they are of interest to me. There was one homicide in unincorporated hillsborough county (Tampa), but it was nowhere near falling inside city limits.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:47 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I hope it does too but St Louis can go for four or five weeks with nothing and then hit eight in a few days.
This is what's a little odd when you compare it to Baltimore, which tends to have steadier high homicide rates. Wonder if it's because homicide in St. Louis is concentrated in two areas as opposed to being as citywide as it is Baltimore. If you go back the % of census tracts homicide posts in the '19 thread, St. Louis has a higher percentage of tracts with 0 homicides than Baltimore, but also a higher percentage with 5+ and 7+ homicides.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:19 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
NYC up to 11.

https://www.pix11.com/news/local-new...n-bronx-police

https://www.pix11.com/news/local-new...-inwood-police

https://www.pix11.com/news/local-new...police-custody

Old 01-21-2020, 05:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Per/capita is the absolute baseline measuring metric and doesn't directly correlate to real world safety. In the real world Baltimore, Philly, St. Louis or Chicago might as well be Disney-world compared to some of the inner cities in Brazil or Mexico.

I'd also put paychecks that a substantial amount of murders in Brazil/Mexicos get swept under the rug let alone are reported.
Actually St. Louis and Baltimore have homicide rates that are comparable to some cities in Brazil and Mexico. Chicago's rate last year was 2.5X to 3X lower than those places and the Disneyland comment could apply to that but I think that STL and Baltimore rates are still comparable to those other places. Not the worst places but some of the middle ones.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:28 PM

597 posts, read 449,192 times
Greensboro up to 4.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:36 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Body of a 24 year old woman found in dumpster in Kettering Ohio over the weekend, and a murder/suicide in Sycamore township.
Several bodies have been found in Philly in the past few days. One in a dumpster, one from a vehicle someone tried to light on fire, another from a car I think. A lady's body was also found in a car underwater in New Jersey while divers were removing debris for a construction project. She went missing about 6 years ago. No foul play was immediately suspected.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:25 AM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
As has been talked about before, Sun Times lists homicides that FBI does not count. Real count is probably closer to 16 or 17.
Maybe they changed their methodology, but the Sun Times appears to be the actual count. It's the Tribune that overcounts by a small number.

The Sun Times has Chicago at 23. The Tribune has it at 25. In any case, the Tribune's count is 7 more than their count at this time last year. It's very early, but it seems that Chicago's pompom-waving about the drop in murders was obscenely premature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City