Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2020, 08:52 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VericoGel View Post
Boston is only 48 square miles, and priced out a lot of impoverished areas you'd find high crime.

Let's see Boston with places like Lynn, Everett, Chelsea, etc. added in.
The most dangerous tracts in Boston, are in the city limits of Boston. Chelsea, Everett, Lynn add like maybe no more than 10 homicides this year. Lets throw in Brockton, 2 more murders. Lets say at most.. 15 murders for 300k people (Brockton 95k, Chelsea 45k, Everett 55k, Lynn 95k).

Yeah Boston is pricing out its populace, but its most dangerous tracts in the metro are in the city proper. Cut out Dorchester and add in like Cambridge or Somerville, and you easily have the safest city in the country. 700k (Without Dorchester) with 2-5 murders. Its still one of the safest metros, and the safest LARGE metro in the Northeast.

I have a lot of qualms on Boston, but I actually feel safer in Lynn, Chelsea, Revere and Eastie then I did when I lived in Orlando and NYC. I dont live in Massachusetts anymore (Very recently) so I have no real reason to boost it.. but to say adding in Lynn/Chelsea, etc will cause an increased murder rate is BS.

I suggest you revisit Lynn. Lynn is a great city, and no more a city of sin. Its a city with cool spots, an emerging art scene and a crazy diverse population. its changed drastically in the past 5 years. And so has Everett, now that it has the 20th most expensive building in the world... the town is (was prior to COVID i guess...) exploding with gentrification and revitalization.

Now you want to talk about some crappy towns.. I grew up 2 miles to Brockton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 01:51 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Now you want to talk about some crappy towns.. I grew up 2 miles to Brockton.
Avon or Bridgewater, it can not be Randolph, too far? I lived in Brockton (near Montello station first (snell st) then Laureston street near Vicente) and while the city is definitely run down (except from the westgate area), the crime does not really follow. Sure there were some shooting but not that much.
Since they got rid of most of the criminals on warren avenue, the city homicide rate plummeted.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:05 AM

34 posts, read 29,414 times
Massachusetts other than Springfield is not active. Numbers do not lie. Every city not Boston(which is still safe as hell) has less than a handful of murders a year and just a few extra non fatal shootings.

I swear people here in the state think just because they live near triple deckers with a minority population that the areas are dangerous. They are literally some of the safest cities in the country when it comes to gun violence.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:14 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Seems like it will be 4th of July weekend in Chicago soon. I‘m afraid things may turn out bad considering what happened during Memorial Day weekend and the weekend after.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:29 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlogy View Post
Massachusetts other than Springfield is not active. Numbers do not lie. Every city not Boston(which is still safe as hell) has less than a handful of murders a year and just a few extra non fatal shootings.

I swear people here in the state think just because they live near triple deckers with a minority population that the areas are dangerous. They are literally some of the safest cities in the country when it comes to gun violence.
That’s what I like to hear

Old 07-02-2020, 04:11 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VericoGel View Post
I can't believe Camden, NJ is so low. 6 or 7? Wow. Compared to what it used to be. Holy ****.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Camden crime start go down after 2012 it not top 10 most dangerous city anymore.
Meanwhile, Gary had at least 21 homicides as of May. Granted, Gary has a much larger residential area but still...

Old 07-02-2020, 04:19 PM

23 posts, read 11,936 times
OK, so the back & forth about Boston is driving me crazy so I went ahead & did some math.

With Boston's 2019 population (692,600) plus if the city annexed: Cambridge, Brookline, Somerville, Chelsea, Winthrop, Revere, Everett, Lynn, Malden, Medford, Watertown, Newton, Milton, Quincy, Needham, Dedham, Saugus, Arlington & Belmont, the population would be (1,722,274).

Using the FBI's database, for Boston plus these extra "annexed" cities total murders, you would have the following homicide rate/100K per year:
2018-3.6
2017-4.7
2016-N/A
2015-3.0
2014-3.8
2013-3.1
2012-4.0
2011-4.7
2010-5.9

Overall it depends what year it is & based on which cities are theoretically annexed. Boston isn't "soft" but it's not as bad as BMore or Detroit. It's comparable to San Francisco in it's rate.

Note: I didn't add in Brockton

Old 07-02-2020, 06:02 PM

141 posts, read 90,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Courser6 View Post
OK, so the back & forth about Boston is driving me crazy so I went ahead & did some math.

With Boston's 2019 population (692,600) plus if the city annexed: Cambridge, Brookline, Somerville, Chelsea, Winthrop, Revere, Everett, Lynn, Malden, Medford, Watertown, Newton, Milton, Quincy, Needham, Dedham, Saugus, Arlington & Belmont, the population would be (1,722,274).

Using the FBI's database, for Boston plus these extra "annexed" cities total murders, you would have the following homicide rate/100K per year:
2018-3.6
2017-4.7
2016-N/A
2015-3.0
2014-3.8
2013-3.1
2012-4.0
2011-4.7
2010-5.9

Overall it depends what year it is & based on which cities are theoretically annexed. Boston isn't "soft" but it's not as bad as BMore or Detroit. It's comparable to San Francisco in it's rate.

Note: I didn't add in Brockton

Is this BostonBornMassMade? Either way, I don't know why people keep responding to this Denology guy or feel the need to somehow apologize for the fact that Boston is a relatively safe city. It is definantly not a "soft" city by any means and that's just a really immature perspective. As someone said before, San Diego has one of the lowest murder rates in the country but please go ahead and tell all the military folks there that it's a "soft" city. El Paso is the lowest I think and there's nothing "soft" about that place. Let's stop dignifying Denology's attempts at trolling Boston with responses.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:18 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
No BostonBorn is here.

Boston has 24 homicides. Someone died last night and I missed one before that.

https://twitter.com/stacos/status/12...175816706?s=21

Old 07-02-2020, 06:19 PM

23 posts, read 11,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
Is this BostonBornMassMade? Either way, I don't know why people keep responding to this Denology guy or feel the need to somehow apologize for the fact that Boston is a relatively safe city. It is definantly not a "soft" city by any means and that's just a really immature perspective. As someone said before, San Diego has one of the lowest murder rates in the country but please go ahead and tell all the military folks there that it's a "soft" city. El Paso is the lowest I think and there's nothing "soft" about that place. Let's stop dignifying Denology's attempts at trolling Boston with responses.
I'm with you, I was just trying to put some actual numbers on here to stop the constant convo about Boston. I'm not going to bring it up anymore than this.

BTW: No this is not BostonBornMassMade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City