Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 08:53 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times

Advertisements

What's Toronto at? I can only find that their last unsolved homicide is #31
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 03:19 AM

34 posts, read 29,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonae View Post
But that happened WITH cops. So cops aren't stopping the violence.
Im pretty sure the cops were not as focus on gun crime with all these dumb protests. They had their focus elsewhere and looked what happened

Old 06-10-2020, 04:12 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not get too off topic, but what is your opinion of this "defund" the police movement?

I still haven't heard very clear plans from most people calling for defunding. The United States has a mess of violent crime throughout the country, new actions, methods of safety, enforcement and police training need to be taken, but defund?...how would that work for a city like Chicago?
I am against it... Change the police mentality yes but not defund it. Police are needed, but they need to change their method, that guy kneeled for 8 minutes and 35 seconds on that guy's neck...

In Camdem NJ, they changed the way the police operate and homicide rate got cut by half

Old 06-10-2020, 04:52 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
6 injured 1 dead in Spring Garden Philadelphia. Large amounts of cash found on the ground. Police originally thought only 6 involved until a 7th victim was found dead. All 6 injured were transported to the hospital in private vehicles. Shooting took place just before midnight. 1 victim is in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the neck.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:45 AM

278 posts, read 140,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlogy View Post
Im pretty sure the cops were not as focus on gun crime with all these dumb protests. They had their focus elsewhere and looked what happened
No other city had such a spike. The CPD are incompetent. The whole system is.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:46 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Off the top of my head, San Diego, NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, San Jose, Austin, and LA are all safer cities. Maybe add Phoenix, Sacramento and a couple more, not 100% sure. Yes, Boston is pretty safe but safest big city? No.

Shoutout to California for being a very safe state. It’s definitely got its share of a lot of problems but its safety absolutely cannot be argued.
LA is not safer than Boston. NYC, Boston, SD and Seattle are all pretty much in the same boat as far as safety goes.

I think when you include metro areas though the only one that's probably just as safe as Boston metro in CA is San Diego.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:24 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Will defunding lead rise in crime ?

Old 06-11-2020, 07:10 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Will defunding lead rise in crime ?
Question I have too.

I dislike the word "defund" I wish that word wasn't being used for whatever people are trying to accomplish.

I vote for re-organization, longer / stricter recruitment and qualification periods, mental health checks, community outreach and support, etc. Its more important for the police to rebuild their relationships with neighborhoods in each city, rather than "defund" them. (cities really need to focus on some of these struggling neighborhoods as well to break the chain of poverty and crime). For example, Philadelphia leaders love to sit and commiserate, yet where is the action?

Crime is rising across the board in so many American cities, and a plan for Minneapolis won't necessarily work in New York or Chicago... Its a complicated situation, as for some of the loudest people yelling "defund the police", I would really like to hear their full plan going forward, might change my mind...

(sorry if my post comes off as short, not meant to have that tone).

Old 06-11-2020, 07:28 AM

274 posts, read 173,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
What's Toronto at? I can only find that their last unsolved homicide is #31
32 Now

https://homicidecanada.com/toronto-h...r-a-skatepark/

Old 06-11-2020, 08:20 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
The weekend before last is one of countless examples as to why I'm currently side-eyeing and confused by the call for "no police". Chicago- No, America is not ready.
Hopefully Chicago police will focus on their jobs again by the 4th of July weekend which is always the most violent weekend of the year.

Does anybody happen to know why the number of homicides in Flint is so high this year? There is a 46% increase over last year which was already a bad year: link. I read MLive regularly but quality of reporting has gone done lately, they don't even cover most shootings anymore let alone provide background information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City