Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2022, 10:07 AM

10,277 posts, read 14,735,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Wilmington has better architecture and a mix of old and new.

Tacoma, WA or Harrisburg, PA?
I like Tacoma better. It has more potential in the future too, I think.

New Orleans or Portland, Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 03:53 PM

9,779 posts, read 9,623,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I like Tacoma better. It has more potential in the future too, I think.

New Orleans or Portland, Oregon?
Portland looks nicer and more spread out. Portland has more potential.

San Francisco, CA or Houston, TX?

Old 01-05-2022, 02:52 PM

4,023 posts, read 2,330,929 times
Quote:
Portland looks nicer and more spread out. Portland has more potential.

San Francisco, CA or Houston, TX?
As much as I love Houston, San Francisco edges it out with the surrounding topography. Cincinnati or Baltimore?

Old 01-05-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
As much as I love Houston, San Francisco edges it out with the surrounding topography. Cincinnati or Baltimore?
I like Cincinnati's skyline a lot better than Baltimore's. Both cities have similar density-with Baltimore a bit stronger-but Cincinnati's tallest 2 are more striking than Baltimore's.

Cincinnati or Nashville?

Old 01-05-2022, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I like Cincinnati's skyline a lot better than Baltimore's. Both cities have similar density-with Baltimore a bit stronger-but Cincinnati's tallest 2 are more striking than Baltimore's.

Cincinnati or Nashville?
Nashville. Nashville has very clearly passed Cincinnati in the skyline department. Nashville will continue to add new towers throughout the year and beyond. With a focus on the Gulch and East Bank, Nashville's density will also increase. Cincinnati does have better views and entrances into downtown which is something Nashville needs to increase visibility.

Nashville, TN or Columbus, OH?

Old 01-06-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Nashville. Nashville has very clearly passed Cincinnati in the skyline department. Nashville will continue to add new towers throughout the year and beyond. With a focus on the Gulch and East Bank, Nashville's density will also increase. Cincinnati does have better views and entrances into downtown which is something Nashville needs to increase visibility.

Nashville, TN or Columbus, OH?
Definitely Nashville with this matchup.

Columbus has several nice 400 ft+ skyscrapers, but not enough strong density and total number of towers to be able to match up with Nashville's skyline, any longer.

Nashville currently has jumped up to 31 total skyscrapers over 300 feet, and will have 37-38 by end of 2022. Just crazy growth!!

Nashville or San Diego?

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 01-06-2022 at 10:49 AM..

Old 01-06-2022, 05:47 PM

3,556 posts, read 3,494,476 times
Quote:
Definitely Nashville with this matchup.

Columbus has several nice 400 ft+ skyscrapers, but not enough strong density and total number of towers to be able to match up with Nashville's skyline, any longer.

Nashville currently has jumped up to 31 total skyscrapers over 300 feet, and will have 37-38 by end of 2022. Just crazy growth!!

Nashville or San Diego?
I find this comparison, to be MUCH closer than I thought. Like, photo finish close. Nashville might be on pace long term to have more buildings, but San Diego has(in my opinion, and I was comparing the list of tallest buildings for both these cities on Wikipedia for a good while) more interesting and less blah modern office buildings. I guess to me, too many of the recently finished skyscrapers in Nashville look more glassy than I prefer. Some of San Diego's newer buildings, don't look as overly glassy which I personally prefer. And while I do like how San Diego has that mountain backdrop in skyline pics, I have to say I really like the design of the Vanderbilt University Residences tower. I'm going to narrowly pick Nashville, as much as it was hard to do since I really like the mountain backdrop in San Diego skyline pics. And I also like the El Cortez Hotel building, when it comes to San Diego buildings over 300 feet.

This time, I am going to give Nashville a tougher competing city to go against. The last few cities that were brought up IMO, of course weren't quite going to be equal to Nashville. Anyway for the next one, and one I've never brought up myself in this thread(though I once brought up Nashville or Charlotte): Nashville, or Austin?

Old 01-06-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I find this comparison, to be MUCH closer than I thought. Like, photo finish close. Nashville might be on pace long term to have more buildings, but San Diego has(in my opinion, and I was comparing the list of tallest buildings for both these cities on Wikipedia for a good while) more interesting and less blah modern office buildings. I guess to me, too many of the recently finished skyscrapers in Nashville look more glassy than I prefer. Some of San Diego's newer buildings, don't look as overly glassy which I personally prefer. And while I do like how San Diego has that mountain backdrop in skyline pics, I have to say I really like the design of the Vanderbilt University Residences tower. I'm going to narrowly pick Nashville, as much as it was hard to do since I really like the mountain backdrop in San Diego skyline pics. And I also like the El Cortez Hotel building, when it comes to San Diego buildings over 300 feet.

This time, I am going to give Nashville a tougher competing city to go against. The last few cities that were brought up IMO, of course weren't quite going to be equal to Nashville. Anyway for the next one, and one I've never brought up myself in this thread(though I once brought up Nashville or Charlotte): Nashville, or Austin?
Do you want civilization to end? I think it could go either way. Nashville for greater structural density. Austin for taller buildings. Overall, Austin wins.

Austin, TX or Pittsburgh, PA?

Old 01-07-2022, 07:26 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,010,694 times
Pittsburgh, due to the scenery, bridges, and architectural diversity.

Brooklyn + Long Island City or San Francisco + Oakland?

Old 01-07-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Pittsburgh, due to the scenery, bridges, and architectural diversity.

Brooklyn + Long Island City or San Francisco + Oakland?
Gonna go with San Fran and Oakland here. The TransAmerica pyramid is stunning and San Fran's skyline is one of the best in the US.

Brooklyn and Long Island City are newer competitors though in the taller skyline space--with a boom in skyscraper growth in the past 5 years+. Brooklyn has it's new supertall 1,066 foot skyscraper that has topped out, and there are several more in the 700-900 foot range going up in downtown Brooklyn. Long Island City has several more skyscrapers to add in the 600-800 foot range too. So both are ones to watch closely in the next decade.

But, San Fran edges it for me, due to its iconic skyline.

San Francisco or Seattle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City