Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa FL vs Phoenix AZ summer weather
Tampa 81 62.79%
Phoenix 48 37.21%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,044,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Hmm, I only shower before I go to work in the morning and stay relatively dry throughout the day (in and out of the office, car, back etc..etc..) or when I have to do any outdoor activities. It's a little far fetched to say people in FL feel wet and sticky and gross all the time. Even if they get sweaty and sticky at times, it's not the end of the world or a deal breaker. If you like a place you stay and put up with some minor inconveniences.
Humidity makes everything feel damp. I dont know how you DONT feel how sticky it is?

But I do agree with your last sentence, and its the reason I plan on staying in Phoenix as long as I possibly can. Im hoping its for life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 12:46 PM

136 posts, read 164,134 times
Tampa by a long shot!!! Lived in both Tampa and currently in Phoenix. Never in my life have I felt so uncomfortable as here in Phoenix. The absolute worst is walking outside of your door to the feeling that someone is blasting a hair dryer in your face. I have never felt wind so hot.

Tampa to me more feels like a tropical paradise, a vacation destination, while Phoenix is just an uncomfortable suburb. The hot and humid Southeastern cities have more of that vacation vibe like yeah it's hot let's go to the beach, waterpark, theme park, etc and have some fun. Where in Phoenix it feels like -let's try to get through this day without dying from heat exhaustion. My husband and I end up in the house all day because it's too unbearable. Who wants to sit inside in the air conditioning for months on end? Or even sit in a pool - that gets boring! Tampa has tons to do - more parks, more events, more attractions.

We are currently planning to leave Phoenix because we cannot bear to give up all our outdoor hobbies anymore. Left Tampa because we got bored being in a tropical vacation destination year-round. If I had to pick again, obviously I will pick the year-round summer vacation paradise over Phoenix. Some people will say, well you can escape to the cooler summer temps more easily in Phoenix. First of all, 2 hours is a long drive. I would rather just have more comfortable temps where I live and take a vacation because I want to, not because I have to. Second, the congestion on the roads up to Flagstaff is miserable. Third, Flagstaff is a small town without much to do asides from trails.

Tampa has frequent rain, big thick clouds in the sky several times per week, shady trails and parks so you can still enjoy outdoor recreation during the summer season, beaches, breezy boat rides, and so much more to beat the heat. You can always find a beach to swim in, a shady park to ride your bike, a tree lined trail, etc. That's why you can walk around the Orlando theme parks in the middle of July all day without dying. If Disney was in Phoenix you just wouldn't be able to get through the day. Visited Orlando many times during the summer season and never had a problem strolling around the park for 14 hours straight where half an hour outside in Phoenix (even in the morning) is complete misery.

We have been cramped in the house since April now in Phoenix. The unending 100+ degree weather, and more importantly the sun shining down on you all day, make it impossible to do anything outside. The dry heat does nothing asides from making it more dangerous to do anything outside as the threat of heat exhaustion and dehydration is stronger. We wake up every single morning completely dehydrated no matter how much water we drink. The only other place in the country we have felt this degree of dehydration is Vegas vacation where you wake up feeling like you have a hangover just from being dehydrated.

Phoenix barely sees any clouds and even when they do they are not as thick and do not block out the sun completely. There is no shade to be found anywhere so outdoor recreation is completely miserable.

Typically on the weekends, my husband and I have to rush out of the house by 8am just to do a simple bike ride or walk and it is still miserable. The sun beating down adds about 20 degrees so that 85/90 degree morning temp feels more like 120. In Tampa, we could go outside at any time of the day. I cannot stand having to set the alarm just to go outside. I had to give up running and tennis since moving here as it is just too uncomfortable. Night time is even worse as it never ever cools down. It's usually still 100 degrees at 6 or 7 - crazy! At least it cools down in Tampa while in Phoenix it still has that feeling of being in an oven even after sunset. And who cares if it is 70 in the winter - I actually prefer temps in the 30's and 40's. It's not true that the north's cold winters are the same as Phoenix's hot summers. The difference is that you can still do things outside when it is cold just bundled up.

Most people in Phoenix are complaining all the time and constantly escaping to cooler areas like Flagstaff and San Diego. If the weather was so tolerable here, I-10 wouldn't be jam packed every single weekend. Back when I lived in Tampa, people left the area to go on vacations, rather than fleeing to escape a miserable climate. While we used to take vacations to visit various attractions, we are now like all the other Phoenix residents fleeing to Flagstaff (which doesn't have much to do) just to walk and dine outside in cooler weather. It's pretty sad actually. Believe me, the weather here is far from paradise even during the winter season where the sun is still constantly blaring down on you, giving you that uncomfortable feeling of being hot and cold at the same time.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:43 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,792,880 times
Still haven't been to Phoenix or Tampa. But if Tampa's heat is anything like Orlando's and Tampa is winning the poll, I'm literally afraid to visit Phoenix.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:50 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,271,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
If we're going by averages, temperature-wise Phoenix and Houston are almost identical for the months of December, January and February. No doubt Phoenix can be blasted by brief cold spells. At least it usually remains sunny and dry. I've experienced some cold, gloomy and damp days in Houston during the winter. A tropical vacation paradise it's not.
Only if 4F warmer in Phoenix, less than 1/3 of the rain, less wind, and significantly more sunshine equals "almost identical."

Old 09-13-2017, 12:47 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,334,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Only if 4F warmer in Phoenix, less than 1/3 of the rain, less wind, and significantly more sunshine equals "almost identical."
Can you not read? The portion of the post you bolded said clearly that "almost identical" applied strictly towards the temperature. The post even went on to mention the greater sunshine and dryness in Phoenix winters.

The temperatures that are closer to identical would be the daily averages (differences about 2F at most): while Houston clearly has cooler average winter highs, the average lows are virtually identical to those in Phoenix, muting the disparity.

Last edited by Texyn; 09-13-2017 at 01:02 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,271,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Can you not read? The portion of the post you bolded said clearly that "almost identical" applied strictly towards the temperature. The post even went on to mention the greater sunshine and dryness in Phoenix winters.

The temperatures that are closer to identical would be the daily averages (differences about 2F at most): while Houston clearly has cooler average winter highs, the average lows are virtually identical to those in Phoenix, muting the disparity.
Sounds like we are in agreement, Phoenix gets 4F warmer during the day in the 3 months highlighted, gets 50% more sun, less than 1/3rd the rain, and less wind than Houst....which translates into, Phoenix has a much better winter climate.....can you read and understand that does not translate to identical?

The Challenger Hellcat and Toyota Prius have almost identical acceleration 0-10 mph is correct and only slightly relevant to which car performs better.

Last edited by American Expat; 09-13-2017 at 03:22 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 AM

4,479 posts, read 4,416,074 times
Man CD's preferences in weather just blow my mind.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:01 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,044,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon81 View Post
Tampa by a long shot!!! Lived in both Tampa and currently in Phoenix. Never in my life have I felt so uncomfortable as here in Phoenix. The absolute worst is walking outside of your door to the feeling that someone is blasting a hair dryer in your face. I have never felt wind so hot.

Tampa to me more feels like a tropical paradise, a vacation destination, while Phoenix is just an uncomfortable suburb. The hot and humid Southeastern cities have more of that vacation vibe like yeah it's hot let's go to the beach, waterpark, theme park, etc and have some fun. Where in Phoenix it feels like -let's try to get through this day without dying from heat exhaustion. My husband and I end up in the house all day because it's too unbearable. Who wants to sit inside in the air conditioning for months on end? Or even sit in a pool - that gets boring! Tampa has tons to do - more parks, more events, more attractions.

We are currently planning to leave Phoenix because we cannot bear to give up all our outdoor hobbies anymore. Left Tampa because we got bored being in a tropical vacation destination year-round. If I had to pick again, obviously I will pick the year-round summer vacation paradise over Phoenix. Some people will say, well you can escape to the cooler summer temps more easily in Phoenix. First of all, 2 hours is a long drive. I would rather just have more comfortable temps where I live and take a vacation because I want to, not because I have to. Second, the congestion on the roads up to Flagstaff is miserable. Third, Flagstaff is a small town without much to do asides from trails.

Tampa has frequent rain, big thick clouds in the sky several times per week, shady trails and parks so you can still enjoy outdoor recreation during the summer season, beaches, breezy boat rides, and so much more to beat the heat. You can always find a beach to swim in, a shady park to ride your bike, a tree lined trail, etc. That's why you can walk around the Orlando theme parks in the middle of July all day without dying. If Disney was in Phoenix you just wouldn't be able to get through the day. Visited Orlando many times during the summer season and never had a problem strolling around the park for 14 hours straight where half an hour outside in Phoenix (even in the morning) is complete misery.

We have been cramped in the house since April now in Phoenix. The unending 100+ degree weather, and more importantly the sun shining down on you all day, make it impossible to do anything outside. The dry heat does nothing asides from making it more dangerous to do anything outside as the threat of heat exhaustion and dehydration is stronger. We wake up every single morning completely dehydrated no matter how much water we drink. The only other place in the country we have felt this degree of dehydration is Vegas vacation where you wake up feeling like you have a hangover just from being dehydrated.

Phoenix barely sees any clouds and even when they do they are not as thick and do not block out the sun completely. There is no shade to be found anywhere so outdoor recreation is completely miserable.

Typically on the weekends, my husband and I have to rush out of the house by 8am just to do a simple bike ride or walk and it is still miserable. The sun beating down adds about 20 degrees so that 85/90 degree morning temp feels more like 120. In Tampa, we could go outside at any time of the day. I cannot stand having to set the alarm just to go outside. I had to give up running and tennis since moving here as it is just too uncomfortable. Night time is even worse as it never ever cools down. It's usually still 100 degrees at 6 or 7 - crazy! At least it cools down in Tampa while in Phoenix it still has that feeling of being in an oven even after sunset. And who cares if it is 70 in the winter - I actually prefer temps in the 30's and 40's. It's not true that the north's cold winters are the same as Phoenix's hot summers. The difference is that you can still do things outside when it is cold just bundled up.

Most people in Phoenix are complaining all the time and constantly escaping to cooler areas like Flagstaff and San Diego. If the weather was so tolerable here, I-10 wouldn't be jam packed every single weekend. Back when I lived in Tampa, people left the area to go on vacations, rather than fleeing to escape a miserable climate. While we used to take vacations to visit various attractions, we are now like all the other Phoenix residents fleeing to Flagstaff (which doesn't have much to do) just to walk and dine outside in cooler weather. It's pretty sad actually. Believe me, the weather here is far from paradise even during the winter season where the sun is still constantly blaring down on you, giving you that uncomfortable feeling of being hot and cold at the same time.

Here's why PHX's summers are better than Tampa's:

1) no humidity hardly ever
2) no rain to mess up your plans
3) no bugs plaguing you
4) the sun always shines - makes people happier
5) no hurricanes
6) no tornadoes
7) no hail

And unlike Tampa, we can drive an hour and be MUCH cooler, and in a completely different landscape. Try that in boring Florida! I wont mention AZ is a far prettier state, either.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,901,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Here's why PHX's summers are better than Tampa's:

1) no humidity hardly ever
2) no rain to mess up your plans
3) no bugs plaguing you
4) the sun always shines - makes people happier
5) no hurricanes
6) no tornadoes
7) no hail

And unlike Tampa, we can drive an hour and be MUCH cooler, and in a completely different landscape. Try that in boring Florida! I wont mention AZ is a far prettier state, either.
I agree with Big Cats in those one.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,334,574 times
Quote:
Sounds like we are in agreement, Phoenix gets 4F warmer during the day in the 3 months highlighted, gets 50% more sun, less than 1/3rd the rain, and less wind than Houst....which translates into, Phoenix has a much better winter climate.....can you read and understand that does not translate to identical
There was never any dispute with the facts. All I'm saying, though, is that you did not read carefully what was said in the post you quoted. Look at it again, you said:

Quote:
Even though the poster specified that "almost identical" applied only to temperature (daily average):

Quote:
If we're going by averages, temperature-wise Phoenix and Houston are almost identical for the months of December, January and February. No doubt Phoenix can be blasted by brief cold spells.
And clearly stated that Phoenix was sunnier and drier:

Quote:
At least it usually remains sunny and dry. I've experienced some cold, gloomy and damp days in Houston during the winter. A tropical vacation paradise it's not.

Last edited by Texyn; 09-13-2017 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City