Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa FL vs Phoenix AZ summer weather
Tampa 81 62.79%
Phoenix 48 37.21%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:01 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,470,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
A gross exaggeration perhaps. However, not one beyond consideration. It is no accident that the Houston Astros had the first domed baseball venue in the majors. Hot, humid, and thunderstorms taking place around 5-6 pm. Not exactly ideal. I notice the Tampa Bay Rays play in a dome as well. Tampa-St Petersburg area averages 83 days with thunderstorms annually, more than anywhere else in the USA. Tampa's NHL team is called the Lightning for a reason.
Tampa exhibits the wet-and-dry season regime typical of tropical monsoon climates, and as a result receives about 60% of its annual rainfall during summer. Most other places in the US have more evenly distributed rainfall.

For me, having frequent thunderstorms is much more important than outdoor activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
And you currently live in Tampa? Yet you say I "exaggerate" when I say it rains a lot down south? Wow.

I think.... yep... Im done here.
Outside of June-September, Tampa is one of the drier cities in the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Also, to the people mentioning beaches: I didn't realize that the beach was a part of an area's weather.
The warm Gulf fuels Tampa's summer thunderstorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 12:24 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
You got the ocean/bodies of water almost everywhere to cool off in FL(it's pretty much tolerable unless people are wimps). What does AZ have(Lake Havasu or Lake Meade)?
Havasu is way out by CA. In Phoenix we have Lake Pleasant, Saguaro Lake, Canyon Lake, the Salt River, etc, to take a dip in and cool off, and theyre all relatively close (well under an hour drive).

Old 07-30-2015, 01:31 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,539,699 times
Should be easy to follow this conversation, but I'll cut and past for you so you are no longer confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
You got the ocean/bodies of water almost everywhere to cool off in FL(it's pretty much tolerable unless people are wimps).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
What about hiking or running or biking or any outdoor activity that isn't swimming? I find that cold weather is "pretty much tolerable unless people are wimps." Agree?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogler View Post
Depends on how cold, and where. Colorado winter? Easy as pie. Wisconsin winter? No thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
By that logic, you are admitting to being a wimp. Fair?
Quote:
I've lived in the northeast. Choosing to live where there are mild winters does not equate to being a wimp.

I could probably call you a wimp for living where there are mild summers. Fair?
1. Trigger-f said the brutal summer heat in FL is "tolerable unless you are a wimp."
2. I said that winter weather up north is "pretty much tolerable unless people are wimps, and asked whether there was agreement.
3. You addressed me specifically and said that a Wisconsin winter is too much for you, disagreeing.
4. Following the logic pattern, I asked if you then admitted that you are a wimp.
5. You said hell no, you are not a wimp. You then followed up by, for some reason, asking if I'm a wimp because there are mild summers where I reside

So what is it? Are people wimps only if they dislike hot weather but are fine with cold weather? That's what the two of you are proposing.

I would say that people are different and prefer different climates. None of that makes anyone a wimp, it's just a preference. I am no more a "wimp" for despising hot summer weather than someone else is a "wimp" for hating cold winter weather.

Agreed?

Old 07-31-2015, 04:08 AM

135 posts, read 139,049 times
Following someone else's arbitrary "logic pattern" and applying it to me? Great argument.

Yes, I *prefer* not to live where there are brutally cold winters. Been there, done that.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:18 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,539,699 times
Quote:
Following someone else's arbitrary "logic pattern" and applying it to me? Great argument.

Yes, I *prefer* not to live where there are brutally cold winters. Been there, done that.
Great. Every summer it's hot and humid for stretches. Been there, done that. Still do that. It sucks. Way prefer winter.

You agreed with the "logic pattern" and responded directly to that thread.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:50 AM

270 posts, read 483,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Don't take data for one day, instead take data averaged over the entire summer, over many summers.

Sizzling Cities ranked – our new Heat Index « Bert Sperling

So Phoenix has an average heat index that is 6.2 degrees worse than Tampa.

But quite frankly it doesn't stop there, heat index is really not "heat index" but a human mathematical model incorporating dew points and temperature. It doesn't take into account the sun. The sun is the biggest culprit in making us "hot" in the summer, not humidity, not necessarily even outside temperatures. And there Phoenix is worse. Not a cloud in the sky. In Tampa you have constant passing cloud systems.

It's not even close, Phoenix is far worse than Tampa. Not to say Tampa is a walk in the park, but there is no competition.
I agree. The heat is nothing without the power of the sun. A high temperature like 40°C, as regularly experienced in Phoenix throughout the summer months, would be "very mild" if the sun didn't beat down on people. If you protect yourself from the sunlight, you're taking the worst of the heat off.

I've experienced many times such highs temps but it's definitely not hot while standing in the shade. It's especially because the sun, itself, is very strong and unrelenting that the summer heat is often extreme in desert environments. The outside temperature is a minor factor that makes the sun more or less exhausting.

I like the desert heat because not only it's a dry heat but the sky is the most often clear of clouds and the sun burns you as well as everything around you, making extremely hot surfaces. The typical tropical heat is the exact contrary of that, it's moist, it makes you sweat a lot, the sky is often cloudy or mostly cloudy and the feeling of the heat essentially comes from the high humidity rather than from the sun.

The dry heat feels like a sauna while the humid heat feels more like if you were taking a steam bath. The desert heat is very healthy unlike the tropical heat

Last edited by Special_Finder; 08-13-2015 at 05:20 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 06:46 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,910,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpactionreplay View Post
I agree. The heat is nothing without the power of the sun. A high temperature like 40°C, as regularly experienced in Phoenix throughout the summer months, would be "very mild" if the sun didn't beat down on people. If you protect yourself from the sunlight, you're taking the worst of the heat off.

I've experienced many times such highs temps but it's definitely not hot while standing in the shade. It's especially because the sun, itself, is very strong and unrelenting that the summer heat is often extreme in desert environments. The outside temperature is a minor factor that makes the sun more or less exhausting.

I like the desert heat because not only it's a dry heat but the sky is the most often clear of clouds and the sun burns you as well as everything around you, making extremely hot surfaces. The typical tropical heat is the exact contrary of that, it's moist, it makes you sweat a lot, the sky is often cloudy or mostly cloudy and the feeling of the heat essentially comes from the high humidity rather than from the sun.

The dry heat feels like a sauna while the humid heat feels more like if you were taking a steam bath. The desert heat is very healthy unlike the tropical heat
Desert heat is healthy in what way?

Old 08-13-2015, 07:28 AM

270 posts, read 483,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
The desert climate is very healthy, despite the high degree of heat, due to the dry air, the abundance of sunshine and rare rainfall. These characteristics were proved to be good for humans : dry air prevents the appearance of mosquitoes, of some diseases and it has beneficial effects on human lungs. The continuous presence of natural light brings a lot of vitamin, especially the well-known vitamin D. The higher diurnal temperature ranges seems to be good for people, too.

Sunshine and dryness are healthy. The tropical humid climate is not. I read a long time ago that the climate of the Sahara Desert was one of the healthiest on the planet. The desert environment has no unfortunate action on the human and you can breathe the desert air without being worried. The same can't be said for tropical locations that are very humid and hot year-round.

Last edited by Special_Finder; 08-13-2015 at 07:48 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 12:21 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Your sweat evaporates, allowing the body to properly cool down, w/o sweat sitting on your skin, not properly cooling your body.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:31 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,285,302 times
Both have their good and bad. Dry air causes more irritation when it comes to dry skin and nasal passages. Humidity increases the potential for mold and fungus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City