Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa FL vs Phoenix AZ summer weather
Tampa 81 62.79%
Phoenix 48 37.21%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 05:11 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,255,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I agree with Big Cats in those one.
Me too and I wonder how many people are voting by just looking at the temps and haven't a good understanding of how that actually feels like in real life....humidity I hate, hot and dry I don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 06:15 PM

828 posts, read 698,099 times
Tampa all the way. 90 degree heat is nothing if you are at the beach or out on your sailboat all day. No such escape in Phoenix.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:23 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,694,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Tampa all the way. 90 degree heat is nothing if you are at the beach or out on your sailboat all day. No such escape in Phoenix.
What about people who have to work all day, like construction workers and truck drivers and landscapers etc, and who won't be going to the beach after work?

How real people deal with weather is a better comparison.

I work outdoors here in Phoenix and I'd rather have 105° with a 45° dewpoint than 90° with a 75° dewpoint any day👍

Old 09-15-2017, 09:25 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,862,168 times
My parents have just moved to Tampa area from Phoenix. My brother is planning to move there too. I was just in Tampa a month ago in August and in May too, and I have lived in Arizona for over 20 years, so I feel I am good in posting here.

The heat in Tampa did not bug me that much. The rain broke it up which made it tolerable (if there was no daily rain I'd be singing a different tune). My parents live only a couple blocks from the intercostal waterway so maybe that's why it wasn't a big deal. I do remember Orlando and New Orleans... that's brutal. Tampa on the other hand? Significantly better. Inland Florida is a much different story. If you are fortunate enough to live near the water in Florida then arguably it may be better than Phoenix, if you can look past the mosquitoes, I know I can't. However it's hard for me to say how much hotter it gets going inland in Florida. Is it like California weather where two miles in it's practically Arizona or Nevada?

Phoenix summers, on the other hand, aren't broken up with weather changes. You have May-July of pure sun, 11% humidity, not a single cloud in the sky. August is monsoon season, which is my favorite time of the year. Then September comes and it's hot, sunny, and dry again. Phoenix at night time is the best in the summers. Phoenix is pretty reliably hot and sunny for a good amount of the year, which I think is a pro. I used to work outside in Phoenix in a labor-intensive job and I was able to tolerate it with an icy cold beverage at all times. Also started my ice chewing habit but I can't get over it now... It's easier to breathe here, too.

So my answer is this. If you can live within a mile or two from the coast then it probably is better than Phoenix. However if you don't, then Phoenix is better.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:58 PM

828 posts, read 698,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
My parents have just moved to Tampa area from Phoenix. My brother is planning to move there too. I was just in Tampa a month ago in August and in May too, and I have lived in Arizona for over 20 years, so I feel I am good in posting here.

The heat in Tampa did not bug me that much. The rain broke it up which made it tolerable (if there was no daily rain I'd be singing a different tune). My parents live only a couple blocks from the intercostal waterway so maybe that's why it wasn't a big deal. I do remember Orlando and New Orleans... that's brutal. Tampa on the other hand? Significantly better. Inland Florida is a much different story. If you are fortunate enough to live near the water in Florida then arguably it may be better than Phoenix, if you can look past the mosquitoes, I know I can't. However it's hard for me to say how much hotter it gets going inland in Florida. Is it like California weather where two miles in it's practically Arizona or Nevada?

Phoenix summers, on the other hand, aren't broken up with weather changes. You have May-July of pure sun, 11% humidity, not a single cloud in the sky. August is monsoon season, which is my favorite time of the year. Then September comes and it's hot, sunny, and dry again. Phoenix at night time is the best in the summers. Phoenix is pretty reliably hot and sunny for a good amount of the year, which I think is a pro. I used to work outside in Phoenix in a labor-intensive job and I was able to tolerate it with an icy cold beverage at all times. Also started my ice chewing habit but I can't get over it now... It's easier to breathe here, too.

So my answer is this. If you can live within a mile or two from the coast then it probably is better than Phoenix. However if you don't, then Phoenix is better.
I agree. In Florida, it is definitely live by the coast or bust. But, if you do live by the coast, the heat and humidity are tempered by the sea breeze plus you have access to the water and beaches. Coastal Florida definitely beats Phoenix. Phoenix might beat inland Florida though.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:41 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,714,532 times
When you guys say live by the coast in Florida do you mean right on the coast or will a mile or two inland still be alright.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:01 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,817,397 times
Tampa stays rather mild for Florida year round. In Phoenix I feel like anyone is about to blow up at any time during the summer since it's so hot and dry.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:58 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,316,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
I agree. In Florida, it is definitely live by the coast or bust. But, if you do live by the coast, the heat and humidity are tempered by the sea breeze plus you have access to the water and beaches. Coastal Florida definitely beats Phoenix. Phoenix might beat inland Florida though.
Nope, even inland FL still gets plentiful soaking thunderstorms in summer to cool the land.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:09 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,995,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Nope, even inland FL still gets plentiful soaking thunderstorms in summer to cool the land.
Sorry, rain just brings more humidity and bugs. PHX's climate is far more ideal than anything Florida has to offer. And as an added bonus, we can drive just 1 hour and be in a completely different temp zone. Heck, just Saturday night I drove from central Scottsdale where it was 85 degrees, and just 20 minutes later up in the mountains outside of town it was 69 degrees. Try that in Tampa. Oh, and it was 15% humidity. Suck on that, Florida.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:29 AM

2,219 posts, read 3,917,981 times
In the middle of summer both are miserable. The dry heat argument is null and void when temperatures are north of 100 F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City