Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa FL vs Phoenix AZ summer weather
Tampa 81 62.79%
Phoenix 48 37.21%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:34 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,559,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Your sweat evaporates, allowing the body to properly cool down, w/o sweat sitting on your skin, not properly cooling your body.
It may (or not) be true that a desert climate is good for you (and/or your skin), but for a "proper cool-down" you don't want your sweat to evaporate. That would be the whole point of sweat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 02:02 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,165,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
It may (or not) be true that a desert climate is good for you (and/or your skin), but for a "proper cool-down" you don't want your sweat to evaporate. That would be the whole point of sweat.
Actually you do. You want sweat to evaporate to take energy from your body.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:06 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,196,380 times
Tampa for more thunderstorms to take the edge off of the heat.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,291,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The point of sweat is for it to evaporate so that it cools you off. Humidity reduces sweat's effect because the air is already partially saturated with water vapor.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:10 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,013,501 times
I'm shocked this is still going! There is nothing I live more than being warm, and nothing I hate more than sweating.

Have many of you been here in the Summer. Phoenix can be brutally hot, but a desert night is very different than a tropical night. I've lived in Orlando, man did I hate summers there. You're constantly wet, the sun reflects on how damp you are making it miserable. Here? It's really hot some days 110 is my view of when it get unbearable but you're never really covered in sweat you just feel hot. I love living in the desert. I think ABQ and Tucson have better climates and more character but Phx has the job market, sports, culture and money and that's the way it will always be over here.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:39 PM

270 posts, read 487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I'm shocked this is still going! There is nothing I live more than being warm, and nothing I hate more than sweating.

Have many of you been here in the Summer. Phoenix can be brutally hot, but a desert night is very different than a tropical night. I've lived in Orlando, man did I hate summers there. You're constantly wet, the sun reflects on how damp you are making it miserable. Here? It's really hot some days 110 is my view of when it get unbearable but you're never really covered in sweat you just feel hot. I love living in the desert. I think ABQ and Tucson have better climates and more character but Phx has the job market, sports, culture and money and that's the way it will always be over here.
I love the desert, too. The dry heat is definitely not overstated. A tropical environment is very damp, there is almost no diurnal temperature range, you sweat all the time and it never evaporates from your body. As well, you can't sleep properly without being annoyed by the oppressive dampness. This is a kind of heat that is extreme but healthy.

A sunny day with 110 °F and 10 % of humidity is more bearable and better for health than a mostly cloudy day with 90 °F and 65 % of humidity. Nearly all deserts are used to searing weather, at least during summer, but most of the heat comes from above (the sun) and in the shade, if there is some, it's warm. Over there, sweat instantly evaporates and you need to drink a lot of water because of this.

Last edited by Special_Finder; 08-13-2015 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 07:28 AM

2,219 posts, read 3,926,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpactionreplay View Post
The desert climate is very healthy, despite the high degree of heat, due to the dry air, the abundance of sunshine and rare rainfall. These characteristics were proved to be good for humans : dry air prevents the appearance of mosquitoes, of some diseases and it has beneficial effects on human lungs. The continuous presence of natural light brings a lot of vitamin, especially the well-known vitamin D. The higher diurnal temperature ranges seems to be good for people, too.

Sunshine and dryness are healthy. The tropical humid climate is not. I read a long time ago that the climate of the Sahara Desert was one of the healthiest on the planet. The desert environment has no unfortunate action on the human and you can breathe the desert air without being worried. The same can't be said for tropical locations that are very humid and hot year-round.
Learn something new everyday. Didn't know that 100+ temperatures was considered safe weather.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Learn something new everyday. Didn't know that 100+ temperatures was considered safe weather.
I didn't say it was safe but healthier than a damp 90 °F. This is a fact which can't be disputed.
For people used or not used to desert heat : as long as you drink a lot of water, stay in the shade and don't practise any intense physical activity, you risk almost nothing with it.
Dry heat is often brutal but is never unhealthy unlike the humid heat and I'm not saying that beacuse I love dry heat but because this is a scientific fact.

Last edited by Special_Finder; 08-14-2015 at 08:42 AM..

Old 08-14-2015, 09:23 AM

2,219 posts, read 3,926,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpactionreplay View Post
I didn't say it was safe but healthier than a damp 90 °F. This is a fact which can't be disputed.
For people used or not used to desert heat : as long as you drink a lot of water, stay in the shade and don't practise any intense physical activity, you risk almost nothing with it.
Dry heat is often brutal but is never unhealthy unlike the humid heat and I'm not saying that beacuse I love dry heat but because this is a scientific fact.
So Phoenix today's high temperature of 114F dry is safer than Tampa high temperature of 86F and humid.

I've read quite a few scientific articles on this matter and none really specified how much the actual temperature matters. In every article I've read it articulates sweat and evaporation but no references of measurable temps. I'm sorry but I'm not buying 114F dry being safer than 90F humid.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
So Phoenix today's high temperature of 114F dry is safer than Tampa high temperature of 86F and humid.

I've read quite a few scientific articles on this matter and none really specified how much the actual temperature matters. In every article I've read it articulates sweat and evaporation but no references of measurable temps. I'm sorry but I'm not buying 114F dry being safer than 90F humid.

Again, I didn't say it was safe but healthier than a hot damp environment. I'm not talking about the safety of the heat but about the impact on human health, and on this point dry heat is much better than humid heat. Desert climates have no bad effects on health, except maybe the sandstorms, and even then...

If you protect yourself correctly against desert heat, it's not as dangerous as it looks. The fact is that many people, especially eldery people, die after suffering from the effects of the extreme heat such as dehydration, heat stroke etc but this isn't the point.

Outside temperatures don't matter, the dryness of the air does. Dry air has beneficial health effects unlike humid air. That's why a desert, despite the "dangerously" high temperatures it often experiences, is healthier than a tropical forest or jungle. I know it may seem somewhat paradoxical but this is the truth.

Very dry air sometimes cause nosebleeds or things like that but this isn't a bad effect on health. It just dries out the nose and nothing else.

Last edited by Special_Finder; 08-14-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City