Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:39 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Well I will have other members say more about this is but from what I understand and see being there.

What is More Southern State: Texas country and town vs Florida country and town.

The same.

what is More Southern State: Texas cities vs Florida cities.

Texas cities way over Florida cities.

Not only do I hear more southern accents in Texas cities but even how the city looks. Like Fort Worth ,Dallas and Houston.

The southern accents is more a taboo in Florida where in Texas they like this is the way we do it here.

I hear more southern accents in Fort Worth ,Dallas and Houston than any city in Florida.
What do Southern cities look like?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:41 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
isn't that essentially what happens when you compare urban areas of Florida to northern states?
When did I ever do that? Who has ever said "Miami has a lot of Jews therefore Gainesville, Panama City, Pensacola and everywhere else in Florida has a lot in common with New York State as a whole"?

I feel like I have to keep adjusting your sightlines because you can't stay focused on the issue. You keep going down this path of "Texas really isn't that southern" (not true) when the question is whether it's more or less southern than Florida. You're not really tailoring your responses to that specific question. So far, you've been content to ignore political polling, voting data, linguistics, and even polling where the question of "southerness" is being asked directly to respondents.

I mean, I thought the fact that fewer Floridians identified with the South would have ended this argument on Page One. It doesn't get more iron clad than that.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Research for yourself. Won't discuss it in this thread.
I'm supposed to research your opinion? I'm asking you why you think Texas is more culturally southern than Washington, DC.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm supposed to research your opinion? I'm asking you why you think Texas is more culturally southern than Washington, DC.
And I told you I'm not talking about DC in this thread.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:47 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,050 times
Quote:
What do Southern cities look like?
More stereotypical of low density spread out ,we hate highrise living , living in apartment or above the store or mix use.

Much of Florida has of late is into highrise condos and apartments by the water.Be it Miami and fort Lauderdale.

Some parts of Dallas and Fort Worth have more older cowboy look of city store-fronts like in old cowboy movies.In south Florida is more mixed use or made to look new.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
More stereotypical of low density spread out ,we hate highrise living , living in apartment or above the store or mix use.

Much of Florida has of late is into highrise condos and apartments by the water.Be it Miami and fort Lauderdale.

Some parts of Dallas and Fort Worth have more older cowboy look of city store-fronts like in old cowboy movies.In south Florida is more mixed use or made to look new.
Ok but the density of Miami is very suburban like and at all that cohesive. Most of Miami metro is not in highrises or apartments. They are in single family homes. Orlando even closer. I believe most of the newer developments in the Texas cities as of late are actually into highrises and midrise apartments. But that's most cities in the country. In bold, these exist in South Florida but you are right. It's not nearly as much as what you will see in DFW.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:52 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Louisiana has a very high percentage of Catholics (26.6%...right up there with Pennsylvania!). In fact, many African Americans in the state are Roman Catholics, and the state has the largest Black Catholic population in the United States.

Does that make Louisiana less southern?

Of course not. It's just a "twist" on its southerness. It's like adding cayenne pepper to spaghetti; it doesn't change the fact that it's still spaghetti. Louisiana has its own idiosyncrancies, as does Texas, but they're still southern states that are dominated by southern culture, accents, dialect, customs, and politics. Southern culture isn't as dominant in Florida, which means it's less southern.
-I was just pointing out, that Texas also has a large Catholic population side to side with the large Baptist population. If you want to agree that, Christian denominations isn't the end all be all, then that's cool. But you brought up denominations as a requisite, and adding to that, everyone in here can agree that Louisiana is an anomoly for the South. If it wasn't an anomoly, you wouldn't be using southern Baptist denominations as a requisite.

-You see, when you set hard requisites, claiming which states are more or less Southern.Things a little more complicated. Especially when talking about a state as geographically large and who's cultural history is as varied as Texas is.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
And I told you I'm not talking about DC in this thread.
Well, then I suppose I have no choice but to conclude that you live in Dixie.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:54 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,050 times
Quote:
Ok but the density of Miami is very suburban like and at all that cohesive. Most of Miami metro is not in highrises or apartments. They are in single family homes. Orlando even closer. I believe most of the newer developments in the Texas cities as of late are actually into highrises and midrise apartments. But that's most cities in the country. In bold, these exist in South Florida but you are right. It's not nearly as much as what you will see in DFW.
Yes Houston and Austin are into this highrise apartments and highrise condos and mix use store-fronts and making old store fronts look new.

Not nearly has bad in Fort Worth or Dallas

Old 03-26-2014, 06:54 PM

39 posts, read 46,712 times
I am curious on how these polls were taken. Were they English only polls or were they bilingual? That could dramatically change the results. And did they define the south or merely ask something along the lines "Do you consider your state to be in the south?" Because the answer varies greatly on how you take the question. Many Mexicans I know don't really understand the cultural meaning of saying one is from the south they just recognize the fact that they live in the southern part of the US. And if you followed that by "are you a southerner?". Well then quite naturally of course you are if you live in the southetn US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City