Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:17 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You really don't read too well, do you?

Here's 1987. TX and FL are both within the boundary.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atla...ap/NatMap2.GIF

Here's 2006. South Florida is no longer within the boundary.

http://laits.utexas.edu/texas_english/LAB2006map.jpg
Apparently you don't and I see you choose to ignore other people's findings very well. Par for the course of arrogant individuals.

Edit* And both of those maps are from different peoples. The differences prove nothing.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:23 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
And yep, don't forget that its (our) schools are affiliated with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
But that doesn't matter. No facts matter.

Fewer Floridians identify as southerners.

Spade's Response: So what? It's still more southern. Besides, I don't trust polls. I trust my gut. Like my good friend Dubya.

Florida is more ideologically similar to Pennsylvania. Texas is most similar to South Carolina.

Spade's Response: F*ck polls. Since when did conservatism define the Deep South?

Texas has way more Evangelicals than Florida.

Spade's Response: And? We have a ton of Mexicans. They're Catholics. Besides, since when has conservatism been a feature of the Deep South?

Texas produces more cotton than many southern states combined.

Spade's Response: When has the Deep South ever been associated with cotton?

The vast majority of Texas falls within the southern dialect boundary according to the world's most extensive linguistics study.

Spade's Response: So what? I found some maps on blogs that say different. I don't put any stock into what these clowns say anyway.

That's the gist of it.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Apparently you don't and I see you choose to ignore other people's findings very well. Par for the course of arrogant individuals.

Edit* And both of those maps are from different peoples. The differences prove nothing.
So I have a question for you. You live in Washington, DC, right? Is that more or less southern than Texas? They are both in the South.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
So I have a question for you. You live in Washington, DC, right? Is that more or less southern than Texas? They are both in the South.
Less and always believed that but let's not bring up other places in this thread.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
But that doesn't matter. No facts matter.

Fewer Floridians identify as southerners.

Spade's Response: So what? It's still more southern. Besides, I don't trust polls. I trust my gut. Like my good friend Dubya.

Florida is more ideologically similar to Pennsylvania. Texas is most similar to South Carolina.

Spade's Response: F*ck polls. Since when did conservatism define the Deep South?

Texas has way more Evangelicals than Florida.

Spade's Response: And? We have a ton of Mexicans. They're Catholics. Besides, since when has conservatism been a feature of the Deep South?

Texas produces more cotton than many southern states combined.

Spade's Response: When has the Deep South ever been associated with cotton?

The vast majority of Texas falls within the southern dialect boundary according to the world's most extensive linguistics study.

Spade's Response: So what? I found some maps on blogs that say different. I don't put any stock into what these clowns say anyway.

That's the gist of it.
So you're resorting to become a lame now? Never made any sort of point in bold.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Less and always believed that but let's not bring up other places in this thread.
But why? It's in the South. What makes it less southern than Texas (in a cultural sense)?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Better thread different reply What is More Southern State: Texas country and town vs Florida country and town.

Than what is More Southern State: Texas cities vs Florida cities.

different reply to the thread different answers
Quote:
We took care of that earlier in the thread.

Well I will have other members say more about this is but from what I understand and see being there.

What is More Southern State: Texas country and town vs Florida country and town.

The same.

what is More Southern State: Texas cities vs Florida cities.

Texas cities way over Florida cities.

Not only do I hear more southern accents in Texas cities but even how the city looks. Like Fort Worth ,Dallas and Houston.

The southern accents is more a taboo in Florida where in Texas they like this is the way we do it here.

I hear more southern accents in Fort Worth ,Dallas and Houston than any city in Florida.There southern accents is even stronger.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
No, it's not like New Mexico because New Mexico doesn't have a non-Hispanic White population that's majority Southern Baptist.

What you're doing is cherrypicking a small part of the state that's similar to another state and then making the argument that the states as a whole are similar. That's like plucking out Austin and then saying that Texas has a whole lot in common with Washington as a whole. Or plucking out Atlanta proper and saying that Georgia has a whole lot in common with Maryland as a whole.
isn't that essentially what happens when you compare urban areas of Florida to northern states?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:35 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, this might make more sense. Even polls TexasReb posted, seem to point to the fact that most Texans don't consider where they live to be the South, than most other Southern states, save for Florida.
How in the world do you come by that, Polo?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
But why? It's in the South. What makes it less southern than Texas (in a cultural sense)?
Research for yourself. Won't discuss it in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City