Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:58 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Piano Ball View Post
I got the impression most Black people in Miami are either of Haitian or Jamaican origin. Are there still plenty of African Americans there?
I wouldn't say plenty but you will find them in Overtown, Liberty City, Miami Gardens, Carol City, and through out the metro. I will be honest and say that the native black population is declining and 20 years from now second generation caribbeans will be the new African Americans of South Florida.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 PM

32 posts, read 46,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I wouldn't say plenty but you will find them in Overtown, Liberty City, Miami Gardens, Carol City, and through out the metro. I will be honest and say that the native black population is declining and 20 years from now second generation caribbeans will be the new African Americans of South Florida.
What makes cities like ATL and DAL better than MIA for black Americans IYO?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:17 PM

32 posts, read 46,425 times
NYC
International northeastern city
Internationally diluted but remains northeastern in character IMO

LA
International western city
Internationally diluted but remains western in character IMO

CHI
International Midwestern city
Internationally diluted but remains midwestern in character IMO

???
International southern city
Internationally diluted but remains southern in character IMO

DAL, HOU, or MIA. Which of the 3 deserves the title IYO?

Old 02-13-2014, 07:04 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont66 View Post
What makes cities like ATL and DAL better than MIA for black Americans IYO?
Nothing but it depends on what type of black person you are or should I say orgin. Lets be honest Miami doesn't really have a large middle class AA community. Now I could understand if a Haitian, Jamaican or any other blacks from the Carribeans would think South Florida is better.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:11 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Nah there's still plenty. Much just moved to Broward and Palm Beach. But I do believe you're right in that a few decades, Caribbean Black pop will become far higher than the Black American pop. Because many are just moving out of South Florida nowadays.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
NYC

LA

CHI

???

Well the South doesn't have a city like that IMO. If you want to count DC, I'd guess they would take it. But I think Houston and Miami are in the running for this title.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Houston lines up with Jacksonville/St. Augustine. I already broke this down clearly in my previous post.
Well yeah but Houston is more like Orlando and Tampa than Jacksonville to me. In fact, I will say outside of similar latitude and spread out nature, the two cities are not as similar to each other.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:33 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well yeah but Houston is more like Orlando and Tampa than Jacksonville to me. In fact, I will say outside of similar latitude and spread out nature, the two cities are not as similar to each other.
You won't find any truly southern trait in Jacksonville that you can't find in Houston.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:41 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
NYC

LA

CHI

???

The question when it comes to Houston and Dallas is how "southern" they were to begin with. I'm not trying to restart a very contentious debate that has gone on ad nauseam in other threads, but many of us in both of those Texas cities never considered ourselves southern to begin with, but would identify more as Texan as a regional identity or Southwestern.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You won't find any truly southern trait in Jacksonville that you can't find in Houston.
But you will find a more diverse crowd that couldn't pass off anything as Southern in some parts of Houston. Same cannot be said for Jacksonville. And Jack Lance post after yours proves just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City