Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:32 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The only thing his post proves is that alot of Houstonians, many of whom are first generation, don't clearly understand the history and culture of their own city. These are the same types that go around exclaiming "we don't have accents!" I'm sure there are folks in Jacksonville who don't think they are in the "real South". It doesn't mean they aren't. Most Houstonians that I know identify as southern, and even those who don't have mannerisms and lifestyles that speak for themselves. I always laugh at those people who claim that the Southeast is this entirely different world far removed from the monolithic envelope of Texas. When I lived in Atlanta I would take regular trips through the smaller cities and towns throughout GA and SC. The parallels that I saw between these areas and eastern Texas was uncanny.

As for the direct comparison of Houston and Jacksonville, I'm not saying that they're just like each other, but at their roots they're about the same. Saying Houston is more like Orlando or Tampa is misleading. I understood your point though.

C'mon, now. Y'all know I'm not new to this.
I think you will hear Houston being questioned far more than you would Jacksonville as being a typical city that is Southern throughout. As far as misleading, I don't think so. Houston reminds me far more of Tampa than it does Jacksonville. And Orlando's beginnings aren't that much different than Houston's. In fact, Orlando was shaped and found by Southerners. You can't even say the same for Houston.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:33 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Or maybe many Texans "want" to escape the southern historical influence, as I'm sure many Floridians do as well. I call those people SMART!
I'd say that Atlanta and Dallas have, in some contrived ways, done a better job of escaping southern culture and stereotypes. If this is what "many" Houstonians are trying to do, they're failing miserably and should just give up already.

In all seriousness, I want you to tell me that Houston has more in common with New Mexico than Florida or even Louisiana. Better yet, tell me where in the city I can find something that supports this logic.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think you will hear Houston being questioned far more than you would Jacksonville as being a typical city that is Southern throughout.
Of course, but how true would that statement be 50 years ago?

Quote:
As far as misleading, I don't think so. Houston reminds me far more of Tampa than it does Jacksonville. And Orlando's beginnings aren't that much different than Houston's. In fact, Orlando was shaped and found by Southerners. You can't even say the same for Houston.
...or New Orleans, or Savannah, etc.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Of course, but how true would that statement be 50 years ago?

...or New Orleans, or Savannah, etc.
Houston does remind me in some parts of New Orleans. Savannah based on my personal experience, not so.

As far as your first post, probably very little.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:51 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
I'd say that Atlanta and Dallas have, in some contrived ways, done a better job of escaping southern culture and stereotypes. If this is what "many" Houstonians are trying to do, they're failing miserably and should just give up already.

In all seriousness, I want you to tell me that Houston has more in common with New Mexico than Florida or even Louisiana. Better yet, tell me where in the city I can find something that supports this logic.
ATLANTA! has escaped southern culture ? Are you serious ? Atlanta is still the perceived capital of the south, where do you get this from? I agree Houston has many historical ties to the south, but it has more ties to Texas as an independent state of mind, a trait that no Southeastern city or state has. As far as having something in common with NM and AZ, I don't think I have to prove that to suggest that Houston does not see itself as a southern city these days. It is not an either or dilemma.

Well lets see you can look at the skyline which is modern and not southern, you can look at all the remarks about international diversity, There are all kinds of businesses and institutions named Southwest. The culture and economy of oil. Just about everything in this city built post WW2 has little connection with the south.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston does remind me in some parts of New Orleans. Savannah based on my personal experience, not so.

As far as your first post, probably very little.
Oh I wasnt saying that these cities were alike. I was simply pointing out that they weren't founded by southerners.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,602,221 times
I just see Texas trading one redneck culture for another (Southern or Southwestern). The two are very closely related if you study the history. This makes Texas more "Southern" than Florida imo. Also, The southwestern style is very different in Texas than it is in AZ, CA, NV etc

Old 02-14-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
ATLANTA! has escaped southern culture ? Are you serious ? Atlanta is still the perceived capital of the south, where do you get this from? I agree Houston has many historical ties to the south, but it has more ties to Texas as an independent state of mind, a trait that no Southeastern city or state has. As far as having something in common with NM and AZ, I don't think I have to prove that to suggest that Houston does not see itself as a southern city these days. It is not an either or dilemma.

Well lets see you can look at the skyline which is modern and not southern, you can look at all the remarks about international diversity, There are all kinds of businesses and institutions named Southwest. The culture and economy of oil. Just about everything in this city built post WW2 has little connection with the south.
Just how much experience do you have with the Southeast? I'm a former resident of Atlanta. Trust me when I tell you that this Capital of the South thing is more of a de facto title, and has little bearing today. You won't hear "honey" or "darlin'" anymore often than youll hear it in Houston. And we make grits better than they do.

For every southern thing you can say Houston has "shed", you can find just as many for Atlanta: it's the only city in the South with a heavy rail transit system. It's a global transportation hub. It has a respectable level of international diversity amongst its residents. The city is flooded with New Yorkers. And finally, unlike Houston, it was never really part of the Deep South Cotton Belt, as its Piedmont topography couldn't support that industry. Atlanta has always been more industrial.

As far as Houston being more like New Mexico, I feel that's essentially what you're saying when you place it in the Southwest. After all, we are discussing culture here.

You brought up oil before, but I can't recall whether or not you said this trait also made Louisiana un-southern.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
Just how much experience do you have with the Southeast? I'm a former resident of Atlanta. Trust me when I tell you that this Capital of the South thing is more of a de facto title, and has little bearing today. You won't hear "honey" or "darlin'" anymore often than youll hear it in Houston. And we make grits better than they do.

For every southern thing you can say Houston has "shed", you can find just as many for Atlanta: it's the only city in the South with a heavy rail transit system. It's a global transportation hub. It has a respectable level of international diversity amongst its residents. The city is flooded with New Yorkers. And finally, unlike Houston, it was never really part of the Deep South Cotton Belt, as its Piedmont topography couldn't support that industry. Atlanta has always been more industrial.

As far as Houston being more like New Mexico, I feel that's essentially what you're saying when you place it in the Southwest. After all, we are discussing culture here.

You brought up oil before, but I can't recall whether or not you said this trait also made Louisiana un-southern.
If Atlanta is not a southern city then there is no "south" anymore, and this discussion, and thread are moot. When the capital of a region no longer is associated with that region then the region is "Gone with the Wind" lol.

When people say south, the first states they think of are states like Georgia, Alabama , and lets say South Carolina. When asked if Texas is the south most may say yes, but Texas is not the first association most would come up with. When people say "oil" Texas is first and foremost on their list. Yes Louisiana does have oil and gas and most of that oil and gas was explored by, found, and extracted by an industry that is of ,and is still, the heart and soul of Texas. So in that regard Louisiana is more like Texas than Texas is like the south.

And lastly I want to say the whole NM and AZ connection is a straw man argument. I would say Texas does have ties to both and since most of the population of Texas is in the eastern third of the state it would make since that the number and magnitude of those connection is greater, but Illinois and New York have historical and cultural ties with each other as well but it doesn't put them in the same region does it? I don't see why Texas has to be grouped with another set of states, to suggest it is not southern.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I just see Texas trading one redneck culture for another (Southern or Southwestern). The two are very closely related if you study the history. This makes Texas more "Southern" than Florida imo. Also, The southwestern style is very different in Texas than it is in AZ, CA, NV etc
Come on now. Every state exudes redneck culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City