Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:04 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,231,068 times

Advertisements

Ontario International(LA are) was a breeze, also Denver is continued nice with the exception of being so far away from the city. Raleigh-Durham New Terminal is always very efficient and nice as is Fort Lauderdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,961,788 times
Detroit, Denver, DFW, Minneapolis-St Paul are all great airports.

Newark, O'Hare, Atlanta, and Philadelphia are all awful airports.

Madrid and Seoul are my favorite airports in the world.

Charles de Gaulle in Paris is absolutely the worst.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
Denver's airport is among the best, it cost a lot to build and there were a ton of delays and problems in the process but it turned out to be worth the wait and cost.

Kansas City's airport is among the worst in my experience.

Phoenix ranks somewhere in between but it is getting better.

The worst part about Phoenix's airport is the three different terminals that require driving or a shuttle bus to get from one to another.

That will be eased with the new skytrain which is now under construction.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:03 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,756,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty678 View Post
Laguardia in New York City was awful when I was there, but that was years ago. It might be different now.
Nope, it still sucks

Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 AM

88 posts, read 128,722 times
ATL is my favorite. Maybe because I've flown through there more than any other but its just easy to figure out. Security lines have never been a problem for me, I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes. Then its easy you have your concourses all lined up for you T-E, you take the train or walk and there you go. Then you walk some more depending on where the gates are in said concourses, now that can be a bit of a pain. At least though you don't have to clear security to get to other concourses/terminals like in some other airports if you're connecting, now that's more of a pain!

Love the food options at ATL from the atrium through the concourses. If you know where to go you can find great eats. Good people watching too especially in Concourse E with the international flights and through the atrium too.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Denver and Indianapolis are the best. Parts of Phoenix, Miami, Orlando and Detroit come to mind. Baltimore is now what I use the most and I like it. All the rest sort of blend together and I don't recall much positive or negatives.

The worst ones are Atlanta (although I just flew through there and had a good experience, nice new rental care facility) and Kansas City's terminal is probably one of the worst, but has new rental car facility (with very high taxes). Also Vegas, but it too seems to have some nice new terminals as well as a new rental car facility.

All airports sort of suck though.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
O'Hare is aging quickly. With the exception of the United terminal, the other domestic terminals date back to the early 60's. With little remodeling. I understand they are working on a new runway alignment, but the disruptions will be in place for years.
It's getting more attention than it has in years. Terminal 1 is still pretty nice, terminal 5 is in the middle of a multi-million dollar upgrade to replace lighting, signage, fixtures, relocated and greatly expanded dining/restaurants and retail post-security and a redesigned security area. Terminal 3 was rebuilt in the 1990's, and terminal 2 just had a big upgrade announced by United and Continental a few weeks ago. The check-in areas of terminals 2 and 3 were upgraded in the past 5 years.

Construction/reconstruction of the runways, expansion and the construction of a full tollway around the entire airpot is in various stages of development/completion, although it has no impact on the actual function of the airport. No one would know it just taking off or landing....

Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,669,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Nope, it still sucks
The problem at LaGuardia is there is no room to expand. Unless they built landfill in the bay. That isn't likely to happen.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,669,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It's getting more attention than it has in years. Terminal 1 is still pretty nice, terminal 5 is in the middle of a multi-million dollar upgrade to replace lighting, signage, fixtures, relocated and greatly expanded dining/restaurants and retail post-security and a redesigned security area. Terminal 3 was rebuilt in the 1990's, and terminal 2 just had a big upgrade announced by United and Continental a few weeks ago. The check-in areas of terminals 2 and 3 were upgraded in the past 5 years.

Construction/reconstruction of the runways, expansion and the construction of a full tollway around the entire airpot is in various stages of development/completion, although it has no impact on the actual function of the airport. No one would know it just taking off or landing....
Thanks for that, I have not been to O'Hare in about five years so I probably should not have piped in so quickly. Glad to see improvements are being made. Why does O'Hare have no terminal 4, it skips from 3 to 5. I know 5 is the International terminal.

As for the runway project, I would argue it does effect the airport operation, in that it probably will cause some delays when they get into the heart of the construction. One more thing, there was once a plan for a new western terminal that perhaps would have been reached to the main terminals by subway.
I would guess that has been shelved for now with the recession and such.

Last edited by pw72; 04-11-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
The problem at LaGuardia is there is no room to expand. Unless they built landfill in the bay. That isn't likely to happen.
The problem with LaGuardia is that it looks like a Bus Station
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City