Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:55 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Chicago O'hare was surprisingly navigatable. Houston's is nice and clean. JFK and Newark are nightmares.
If you think those two are nightmares. Fly out of MIA. Worse traffic in the nation. Worse major airport in the United States of America. Word of advice, skip it and fly to FLL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 08:36 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you think those two are nightmares. Fly out of MIA. Worse traffic in the nation. Worse major airport in the United States of America. Word of advice, skip it and fly to FLL.
You have not been to MIA in a few years have you? And worst traffic?? Since when?
FLL is a mess these days. MIA for someone arriving or leaving from MIA is the best choice. Because so many people using MIA are connecting from International flights that naturally makes it an unenjoyable experience due to US laws.

http://www.gnugroup.com/images/portf...sit1_mia_1.jpg

http://www.miami-airport.com/images/pic_ntdtrain03.jpg

http://www.miami-airport.com/images/...ame002_NTD.jpg

http://www.miami-airport.com/images/...ay-shot-SB.jpg

I will say I think DCA is the best airport in the country by far.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You have not been to MIA in a few years have you? And worst traffic?? Since when?
FLL is a mess these days. MIA for someone arriving or leaving from MIA is the best choice. Because so many people using MIA are connecting from International flights that naturally makes it an unenjoyable experience due to US laws.
I was there last winter and did not enjoy MIA at all. Besides La Guardia I have never seen a more confusing airport. I was always unsure where to go and many employees there did not speak English and were unable to help me.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I prefer Houstons IAH, at least I did when Continental dominated it before the United merger and corporate move to Chicago. DFW is good if you arent connecting through it, its a great airport to originate or arrive,

My fav airports are international ones, Singapore's airport and Narita outside Tokyo.

The east coast airports in major cities suck, too much traffic for its size and delays. Dulles is probably my least favorite in the US. Reagan isnt too bad for east coast. Miami isnt a good place to arrive in the USA from outside the country, not designed for the current security standards and customer service sucks.
I must have flown into a different terminal because what I saw in Singapore was crap. I have only connected through Narita and it too was crap.
On the other hand, Hong Kong has an awesome airport.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

http://www.gnugroup.com/images/portf...sit1_mia_1.jpg

http://www.miami-airport.com/images/pic_ntdtrain03.jpg

http://www.miami-airport.com/images/...ame002_NTD.jpg

http://www.miami-airport.com/images/...ay-shot-SB.jpg

I will say I think DCA is the best airport in the country by far.
I flew in and out of MIA in SEpt and OCT and noticed a huge difference from previous visits. But then again, Sept-Oct isn't peak, so I dunno if that made it more bearable

Love the terminal upgrades though, and the experience for the most part was a good one. Much better than in the past.

I still don't like ATL's airport and like someone else mentioned, DFW is a pain for transferring airlines.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I flew in and out of MIA in SEpt and OCT and noticed a huge difference from previous visits. But then again, Sept-Oct isn't peak, so I dunno if that made it more bearable

Love the terminal upgrades though, and the experience for the most part was a good one. Much better than in the past.

I still don't like ATL's airport and like someone else mentioned, DFW is a pain for transferring airlines.
Huge upgrades, I think it really depends on why one is flying through Miami. If they are coming from an international city to connect onto another flight it can suck clearing customs then re-checking bags etc.. But if you are going into or out of Miami or doing Domestic-Domestic or Domestic-International IMO MIA is one of the best hub airports in the country.
DTW is the best IMO I find ATL very hectic and a little bit confusing but after a few times its fairly easy. I do not have to connect much so besides for DTW and ATL I can't think of any others in the US. CVG was great when it used to be a large Delta hub.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Miami has made great improvements over the past decade, but some parts of the airport are still small and crowded. When finished, MIA should be a jewel.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Miami has made great improvements over the past decade, but some parts of the airport are still small and crowded. When finished, MIA should be a jewel.
Considering how much they had paid, it better look nice.

Any city that has an airline hub in general will have nice airports.

I think Delta's terminal in Detroit, MSP and LAX are great airports.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
John Wayne isn Orange County is one of the best small airports in the country. Easy access, Easy transfers, easy to use. Multiple carriers.
I also like the fact that the rental cars are in a garage right across the terminal access road.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
The rental car situation at major airports has been changing over the years. 20 years ago, most airports had rentals on the airport property. Sea-Tac still does, but like many other major airports, a new airport rental facility has been constructed and will open soon. This will slow down rental car users, as it has at other major airports, but atleast all of the operations will operate out of one facility, which looks like a small airport in itself. Not sure but I think LAX and O'Hare still depend on off-site facilities in random areas. Not sure about ATL and DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City