Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:23 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times

Advertisements

Flying back to FL in a month for a few weeks, my layovers are in Memphis and Atlanta. I have a few hours to waste in both.

Which has best shopping? Best food? Best bars to get a few beers? Best view of skyline from airport? Is there any must eat restaurants in either? Easiest to get around? Best shuttles? etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Flying back to FL in a month for a few weeks, my layovers are in Memphis and Atlanta. I have a few hours to waste in both.

Which has best shopping? Best food? Best bars to get a few beers? Best view of skyline from airport? Is there any must eat restaurants in either? Easiest to get around? Best shuttles? etc.
Atlanta- Busiest airport in the world, what more could you want boy? You count up that density- probably like 5,000 people per square terminal.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:40 AM

what is the best restaurant? What does your name even mean some kind of sushi?" That density drops after about 8pm though

Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
what is the best restaurant? What does your name even mean some kind of sushi?" That density drops after about 8pm though
The Om part is a Hindu word meaning "Peace". The other part is just my last name.
I like sushi, probably the best sea food, IMO. Sushi > Cat Fish (which I've never had before).

You want restaurants- that's where the airport in the A is best. Hell I think it even beats out O'Hare in that category. No wonder it's the busiest airport in the world.

Forget that density- try finding a more denser terminal than the A. You can't- O'Hare has like one hobo in the lobby at 3AM and the terminal looks dead.... so much for the 2nd busiest airport in the USA.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The Om part is a Hindu word meaning "Peace". The other part is just my last name.
I like sushi, probably the best sea food, IMO. Sushi > Cat Fish (which I've never had before).

You want restaurants- that's where the airport in the A is best. Hell I think it even beats out O'Hare in that category. No wonder it's the busiest airport in the world.

Forget that density- try finding a more denser terminal than the A. You can't- O'Hare has like one hobo in the lobby at 3AM and the terminal looks dead.... so much for the 2nd busiest airport in the USA.
I think Ohare has more starbucks density though. I could probalby not find a denser terminal than A you are right, maybe Heathrow or hong kong. You have never had cat fish? What is wrong with you I hope you aren't ever running for president. That is one of reason i picked Atlanta over orlando was for the food while I'm waiting, I could have flown in there instead.

Here is the list.
Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport Restaurants, Shops & Stores
reading down the list I see arby's, asian chao and atlanta bread company and my mouth is already watering.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I think Ohare has more starbucks density though. I could probalby not find a denser terminal than A you are right, maybe Heathrow or hong kong. You have never had cat fish? What is wrong with you I hope you aren't ever running for president. That is one of reason i picked Atlanta over orlando was for the food while I'm waiting, I could have flown in there instead.

Here is the list.
Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport Restaurants, Shops & Stores
reading down the list I see arby's, asian chao and atlanta bread company and my mouth is already watering.
Starbucks? Those hold the airport back. Take up too much space for pointless coffee you can get, there should be a restriction of one per terminal. Because it takes up retail space that can be used for Sushi bars or I guess in this case since your telling me about Catfish- a joint for that instead of some Starbucks.

Anyways- I took it upon myself to configure the density of the entire airport:
Lets say everyday is a good day for the A, so 365 days/1 year. Take the 20,033,934 passengers and divide it by 365. Because hypothetically we're saying everyday gets the same number on average.

So now we have 54,887.49 passengers per day. Definitely the most in USA and seemingly most in the world. Now lets divide it evenly between the terminal- there appears to be 5 terminals.

So now the number 54,887.49/5 = 10,977.4 persons per terminal each day making the terminals in the A the densest in that of the world- at a density level comparable to the entire city of Los Angeles.
Okay- now redeeming some of my intellect- I can tell you some terminals will be heavily busy compared to others, but 10,977 is a average between all the terminals.

Now lets configure Chicago O'Hare- 14,696,361 total passengers per year.
14,696,361/365 = 40,264 persons per day. Just like the A, O'Hare has 5 terminals as well. 40,264/5 = 8,052.8 persons per terminal per day.

As you can see, the Windy City is obviously no match in relation to density compared to the A. Furthermore this reconfirms the Windy City's nickname "The Second City" for yet another pun related list- where Chicago comes in at #2 for the USA, oh well we're used to it- our skyline, financial rankings, public transportation, etc... sigh...

Now as for the cat fish statement- no way, that looks gross- I can't believe people can eat that before/after looking at it. Lol, I can't eat anything that "looks" so unappealing.

Now back to the topic at hand, Memphis VS Atlanta airport wise- unless you're actually the pilot and your flying some FedEx plane- Memphis can't touch the A's airport- but then again no city in the world can.

You watch the World Cup today? Kobe Bryant is in South Africa- you think he'd take a stop flight in Memphis or the A? Probably the A- I mean everyones doing it, you should too.

You want a cosmopolitan airport that reflects one of America's culture of "melting pot" you go to the A, not Memphis. You walk into that international terminal- tell me what you see? I'll tell you what you'll see, you'll see a Mini version of NYC right up in there. Except restricted inside the walls of a terminal.
Add that with the density and you know how it's done in the A. (by airport standard)
And from your previous history- Chicago, Bay Area, & Paris- you seem to like vibrant and diverse places- good, the airport in the A will give you just that.

I can tell- I am getting quite hungry myself, the airport in the A is known for it's food scene (more than any other airport I have heard of), possibly that of the best in the world as far as airports go- can you see your mouth watering when you land there now?

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-26-2010 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 01:28 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
That's like comparing Bush to Hobby or O'Hare to Midway.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:37 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,503,609 times
This is a no brainer.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
This is a no brainer.
So, what is your pick? I looked and there are some good BBQ in Memphis airport, I do not think Atlanta can compete. To me it seems if you want good culture, small and compact and high quality Memphis would win, if you want diversity and an international vibe then Atlanta would win. More later, hey sushi boy, I will post later, your post is too prolific right now for me to respond, need more coffee. But you say you compared to L.A. in the terminal, would you ever live in the airport like tom hanks in the terminal? If you could do that, you have dining and shopping at your finger tips, and cheap to live there (sleep and take showers) He was there for like a year or so right? I saw the guy there that was helping him out, then he pushed all the shopping carts around to make money (somewhat of a twist on the american dream). I think that was in New York though but Atlanta airport is probably more so.

sleeping

fine dining

good jobs

now you are flying 1st class.

Last edited by grapico; 06-26-2010 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 03:23 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,820 times
Atlanta Airport has Paschal's, some of the best soul food I've ever ate in a commercial environment like an airport. (nothing beats homecooking or even some of the better restaurants in the city that serve that food)

/Thread

Memphis does have the good BBQ though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City