Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:46 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

I can't comment on Memphis, have never actually flown through there.

At Hartsfield when I need to kill time I always go to the Int'l terminal, wider concourses from the Domestics and decent food offerings without being rediculously crowded by the masses who are connecting and miserable. I hate connecting flights

And on Om's pics, you will have leave security to get to what he pictured though that space is very nice prior to the security; once inside it is hard to tell what airport you are in or any major airport for that matter by ATL is nicer than most and pretty well designed, thats why I like the international terminal as it isnt as crowded at ATL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 11:47 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I can't comment on Memphis, have never actually flown through there.

At Hartsfield when I need to kill time I always go to the Int'l terminal, wider concourses from the Domestics and decent food offerings without being rediculously crowded by the masses who are connecting and miserable. I hate connecting flights
What food did you get? Whenever I fly through Philly I definitely get a cheese steak.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Atlanta Airport has Paschal's, some of the best soul food I've ever ate in a commercial environment like an airport. (nothing beats homecooking or even some of the better restaurants in the city that serve that food)

/Thread

Memphis does have the good BBQ though
I looked up paschals
http://www.paschalsatlanta.com/files/image/auto-329-any/paschals-photo-menu.jpg (broken link)
That is a picture from them.

I also found this advise, what do you think?

"
Sitdown at Paschals on terminal C. Wall Street Deli has good sandwiches but is almost always filthy. The Bookstore Deli on B or E are clean and serve a nice selection of salads/sandwiches.
You will not have time to exit security, eat, and get back to your flight in three hours... at least not eat somewhere that you cant get to inside security anyway.
There is a Moes burrito place on C thats pretty good to.."

"Paschel's in the Artrium is not a sitdown, it has tables, but is next to a wendy's, dominos, and chinease. There is a sit down Houlihans in the atrium that is not bad. The sit down Paschels is in one of the terminals."

Old 06-27-2010, 11:59 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You will not have time to exit security, eat, and get back to your flight in three hours...
Boy, you trying to say that the airport is too fast for you to keep up with? I thought you of all people were used to fast paced lifestyle? Chicago, Paris, & San Francisco.

I guess none are a match for this level. Just the density/diversity/food put all other cities to shame.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Boy, you trying to say that the airport is too fast for you to keep up with? I thought you of all people were used to fast paced lifestyle? Chicago, Paris, & San Francisco.

I guess none are a match for this level. Just the density/diversity/food put all other cities to shame.
Yes I was also interested in wall street deli though because it seems like new york, somebody said it is filthy though. That is probably enough time for me I thnk I can finish the meal in 3 hours.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:04 PM

The soul food looks pretty good, but cant say the food ever really stood out to me at ATL, most airports really. I think I just like the Int'l terminal because it is a little less hectic if there is time to kill. Memphis on the BBQ does sound good. But you can never underestimate the masses in ATL sporting the nice shorts, spanking new NASCAR tee, and shiney white Nikes; I just don't see that enough where I live, love that look

On a serious note ATL for a major cities seems to lack a food identity, never really thought of it, but i always get pretty good biscuits and gravey there, just love and seriously have trouble finding good ones in Philly

Old 06-27-2010, 12:54 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
So you mean to tell me that when Jackie Chan flies out to China and has a layover in the A, he gets out of the plane like he's some ordinary guy?
Duh ... yes. Celebrities may fly first class, but they don't just magically beam from one flight to the next like Star Trek. They have to switch planes like everybody else! I grew up near the airport and in high school we used to go hang out at ATL all night, riding the trains and seeing who could spot the most famous people passing through. We were geeks. You couldn't do that now because of 9/11. Security is too tight.

Quote:
88 million/365 days a year = 241,095.89 persons per day at the airport 241,095.89 persons/5 terminals = 48,214.18 persons per square terminal.
Don't forget ... that's 241,095 people in the course of a 24 hour day, and many of them are only in the airport for an hour or less. Also, they're scattered across six concourses -- T, A, B, C, D, and E (International). At its busiest (around midday) there might be 30,000-40,000 people in the entire airport at one time, but you'd never see all of them. The place shuts down from about midnight to 5 a.m. as well for maintenance.

Some interesting ATL facts:
-- 5.5 million square feet under roof.
-- 180 gates; 12 more international gates are being added as part of a $1 billion expansion of the E concourse that will make it a stand-alone terminal with it's own ticketing, baggage claim and parking separate from the main terminal. Passengers will access it via a new exit off I-75.
-- It's 1.5 miles from ticketing/baggage claim to the international gates (Concourse E). The underground transportation mall connecting all concourses has the world's busiest automated people mover system, ferrying 64 million people a year.
-- 5 parallel runways make ATL the only airport in the world that can land three planes simultaneously side-by-side. (I've been on one of those flights coming in for a landing and can tell you, it's kinda creepy looking out your window and waving to people on a plane coming in at the same exact altitude right beside you!)
-- ATL control tower is the tallest in North America at 398 feet, or roughly the height of a 35-story building.
-- The 5th runway is 2 miles south of the terminal and straddles I-285, one of the busiest freeways in Atlanta (the highway runs through huge tunnels underneath the runway). Building it took 5 years, required 11 stories of fill dirt and cost $1.3 billion. Upon opening, the 5th runway increased ATL's total flight capacity by 40 percent and was directly responsible for a 20 percent reduction in flight delays nationwide.

HERE'S THE HIGHWAY TUNNELS UNDER THE RUNWAY:

THIS IS THE RUNWAY UNDER CONSTRUCTION (lower right side of photo) WITH THE FREEWAY RUNNING THRU IT BEFORE THEY BUILT THE TUNNELS, AND THE DISTANCE FROM THE MAIN TERMINAL (lower left).

THE CONTROL TOWER AND INTERNATIONAL "E" CONCOURSE AT NIGHT:

Quote:
But do they make special Olympic themed Onion Rings? That would be super tight!
No. But their onion rings are pretty good, if a bit greasy.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:58 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
These southern threads are becoming extremely redundant.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
MORE ATL FACTS:
-- The airport employs 55,300 people and has a payroll of $2.4 billion
-- The Hartsfield-Jackson Rental Car Center opened in December 2009, consolidating all 10 rental car companies in a single facility off-site, across I-85 from the main terminal building. It has a parking deck with space for 9,000 rental cars. It's connected to the airport via the ATL Sky Train, an elevated people mover that departs from the main terminal baggage claim area near the MARTA station. It has two station tops in nearby College Park.
-- Long-range expansion plans include the so-called South Terminal Complex, or STC, which will add 70 more domestic gates at a cast of nearly $2 billion.

THE NEW ATL SKY TRAIN:

Old 06-27-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Duh ... yes. Celebrities may fly first class, but they don't just magically beam from one flight to the next like Star Trek. They have to switch planes like everybody else! I grew up near the airport and in high school we used to go hang out at ATL all night, riding the trains and seeing who could spot the most famous people passing through. We were geeks. You couldn't do that now because of 9/11. Security is too tight.

Don't forget ... that's 241,095 people in the course of a 24 hour day, and many of them are only in the airport for an hour or less. Also, they're scattered across six concourses -- T, A, B, C, D, and E (International). At its busiest (around midday) there might be 30,000-40,000 people in the entire airport at one time, but you'd never see all of them. The place shuts down from about midnight to 5 a.m. as well for maintenance.

Some interesting ATL facts:
-- 5.5 million square feet under roof.
-- 180 gates; 12 more international gates are being added as part of a $1 billion expansion of the E concourse that will make it a stand-alone terminal with it's own ticketing, baggage claim and parking separate from the main terminal. Passengers will access it via a new exit off I-75.
-- It's 1.5 miles from ticketing/baggage claim to the international gates (Concourse E). The underground transportation mall connecting all concourses has the world's busiest automated people mover system, ferrying 64 million people a year.
-- 5 parallel runways make ATL the only airport in the world that can land three planes simultaneously side-by-side. (I've been on one of those flights coming in for a landing and can tell you, it's kinda creepy looking out your window and waving to people on a plane coming in at the same exact altitude right beside you!)
-- ATL control tower is the tallest in North America at 398 feet, or roughly the height of a 35-story building.
-- The 5th runway is 2 miles south of the terminal and straddles I-285, one of the busiest freeways in Atlanta (the highway runs through huge tunnels underneath the runway). Building it took 5 years, required 11 stories of fill dirt and cost $1.3 billion. Upon opening, the 5th runway increased ATL's total flight capacity by 40 percent and was directly responsible for a 20 percent reduction in flight delays nationwide.

HERE'S THE HIGHWAY TUNNELS UNDER THE RUNWAY:

THIS IS THE RUNWAY UNDER CONSTRUCTION (lower right side of photo) WITH THE FREEWAY RUNNING THRU IT BEFORE THEY BUILT THE TUNNELS, AND THE DISTANCE FROM THE MAIN TERMINAL (lower left).

THE CONTROL TOWER AND INTERNATIONAL "E" CONCOURSE AT NIGHT:

No. But their onion rings are pretty good, if a bit greasy.

Cool stats and love the aerial shot. It really shows how large ATL is. I think the only single airport that has a chance to compete on size in the future is DFW; there is also a lot of room to expand and a seemingly well laid out runway setup. Maybe Denver too but I am not convinced it is actually in Colorado.

O'Hare packs a punch but has no room to expand really.

I love seeing the Atlanta airport from the air, even when going by at 35,000 ft it looks huge!

I too have landed in the three across and it is a bit odd the way they vector you into position
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City