Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:37 PM

76 posts, read 337,194 times

Advertisements

I think Washington could be second behind Philadelphia if it weren't for the city's fear of heights, otherwise it's Philadelphia, Boston, then Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I agree that CC is more vibrant at night but not during the daytime. But DC's Gallery Place area is just as active at anytime of the night than any block in CC.
So having more office workers during the day means its more vibrant? Not really.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
So having more office workers during the day means its more vibrant? Not really.
These people don't magically appear in their offices! They do eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, browse stores, shop, go to appointments, eat a food trucks, catch cabs, walk in the DT parks, catch the train, etc... More people equates to more vibrancy. At night, DT Philly is definitely more vibrant.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
These people don't magically appear in their offices! They do eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, browse stores, shop, go to appointments, eat a food trucks, catch cabs, walk in the DT parks, catch the train, etc... More people equates to more vibrancy. At night, DT Philly is definitely more vibrant.
not sure is totally true as the people (workers) are spread out with less density. DC is vibrant day and night but not sure it is more during the day; the worker density is higher in Philly actually and density is also a factor in vibrancy IMHO, also all the shops, bars, restaurants, offices, residential are more compressed. DC has a DT feel over a large footprint but not sure it is truly any more active druing the day in the relative sense but active during the day and night too. Both or all three are active/vibrant but not sure I totally agree with your premis honestly

Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
not sure is totally true as the people (workers) are spread out with less density. DC is vibrant day and night but not sure it is more during the day; the worker density is higher in Philly actually and density is also a factor in vibrancy IMHO, also all the shops, bars, restaurants, offices, residential are more compressed. DC has a DT feel over a large footprint but not sure it is truly any more active druing the day in the relative sense but active during the day and night too. Both or all three are active/vibrant but not sure I totally agree with your premis honestly

There are more than 600,000 people in DT DC on a given day. This is office workers and tourist in a 2 mile area. More than 800,000 on the trains. CC doesn't come close to this.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:48 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
There are more than 600,000 people in DT DC on a given day. This is office workers and tourist in a 2 mile area. More than 800,000 on the trains. CC doesn't come close to this.

And more than 400K in the ~1 sq mile of CC every day and ~580K on the trains in CC. Yes while DC has a higher absolute in the DT the density is actually less

If you extend to UCity the 400K becomes closer to the 600K actually in a similar footprint but UCity does not have the same denisty, office, college, tourist, residential as does CC (or the avg for DT DC for that matter)

Also for both numbers the 800K and 580K cut that in half, that is ridership, people are double counted actually

Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 PM

362 posts, read 665,658 times
Well I'd rank them like this....
1.Philly for vibrancy, density, and nightlife.
2.DC/Boston-while DC is not as vibrant as Philly, its size in my opinion makes up for it. I tied Boston with DC because of it's structural density and walkability that make up for it's lack in size.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 AM

503 posts, read 800,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What? Of course it does!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
DC is pretty vibrant - is it neighborhod related? the southeast was rockin during my last visit

Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 PM

21 posts, read 40,997 times
Having been born in Boston, grown up in Philly, and going to High school in DC, I'd have to give the edge to DC on this one. Philly's downtown has more character but a lot of parts of Center City are just nasty and filled with hood ***** (I'm looking at you Gallery and much of Market Street). DC's downtown seems to go on forever, is very clean and has several awesome areas to go out in... DuPont, U Street, Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, Chinatown... All have a healthy offering of great bars and restaurants. Philly, as a city has more of a soul but it's just not as up to date as DC or Boston I feel. As for Boston, it's simply too small of a city/downtown to compete if you ask me. Even Fenway and Boyleston areas feel like they have 10 bars a piece... Meh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City