Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 AM

362 posts, read 665,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DT Philly is tiny compared to DT DC. It doesn't have the critical mass of people on it's trains or walking the streets during the day. According to Emporis, DT DC has many more buildings than Philly.
Dude some large parts of downtown d.c. are completely dead of pedestrian traffic even though it may have more people working downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 AM

120 posts, read 208,945 times
^What? Not sure I am tracking that. After visiting both during workdays, nights and weekends, DC typically has many more people walking around downtown and throughout the city. Of course, its a tourist destination so there are obviously going to be more people walking around seeing the sites. Philly is a large city, but it doesn't compare to DC when discussing street traffic.

Speaking of street traffic, DC also has some of the worst auto traffic I have ever seen in a city. It takes ages to get anywhere in a car in DT DC.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Dude some large parts of downtown d.c. are completely dead of pedestrian traffic even though it may have more people working downtown.
Dont waste your time with that one. Just a heads up. But youre right. DC doesnt shine in DT..its strong points are elsewhere.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 PM

362 posts, read 665,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
^What? Not sure I am tracking that. After visiting both during workdays, nights and weekends, DC typically has many more people walking around downtown and throughout the city. Of course, its a tourist destination so there are obviously going to be more people walking around seeing the sites. Philly is a large city, but it doesn't compare to DC when discussing street traffic.

Speaking of street traffic, DC also has some of the worst auto traffic I have ever seen in a city. It takes ages to get anywhere in a car in DT DC.
I have lived in d.c. For 6 years and I believe that I know what I am talking about. There are some deadzones in d.c. where there are hardly any pedestrians walking on the streets. I was just commenting on someone's entry in previous posts that stated that d.c. is always extremely vibrant(I'm paraphrasing), but that always isn't true.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:57 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL_urbanlover08 View Post
I doubt that you have been to Center City Philly if you actually believe that. If anything Philly has a LARGER critical mass than DC. Philly has over a dozen buildings over 500 ft. and the tallest is just 25 ft shy of being a supertall.
DC has 100 million square feet of office space with buildings rising to about 13 stories. Philly doesn't have anywhere near that much. DT DC swells by 70% during the day. So you do the math. btw: I've been to CC and it's tiny compared to DT DC.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Link? What parts of DT DC are dead during the day?

Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post

This! There are a million people in DC during any given day. Philly cannot match DC's employment numbers or subway ridership. Second most busiest subway system behind NYC. That should tell you something.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC has 100 million square feet of office space with buildings rising to about 13 stories. Philly doesn't have anywhere near that much. DT DC swells by 70% during the day. So you do the math. btw: I've been to CC and it's tiny compared to DT DC.

this we have been through multiple times, DC has more over a wider area but even during the day has less employee density. there are two facors

DC is wider/larger Philly is more compact and dense. At night they are dramically different where DC is less cohesively vibrant. but still interesting on the whole

Old 06-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
this we have been through multiple times, DC has more over a wider area but even during the day has less employee density. there are two facors

DC is wider/larger Philly is more compact and dense. At night they are dramically different where DC is less cohesively vibrant. but still interesting on the whole
I agree that CC is more vibrant at night but not during the daytime. But DC's Gallery Place area is just as active at anytime of the night than any block in CC.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:57 PM

80 posts, read 145,978 times
1. Washington DC
2. Boston
3. Philadelphia

You know something? I think Boston may just have the best downtown of the bunch just because it offers the same amenities and a bit more because of its location on the ocean. Lots of amenities and social events come from just being on water. Washington DC is my favorite though because the downtown is near some nifty awesome sites to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City