Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:33 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
These look just like many of the developments going up in D.C. yet if Philadelphia is building them, they are ok. Why am I not surprised!
Actually, most of these are ugly, too. I understand it's supposed to be a matter of opinion, but it still boggles my mind that anyone would consider these things attractive in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 06:46 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
So, basically, everything is being built south of center city? I wonder why? Sad really.....Don't you think those people north of center city deserve to have this type of development too?
There are a ton of developments happening north of Center City in Lower North Philadelphia. Most of the new construction I posted was in North Philadelphia or University City. There are a ton of areas seeing development in lower North Philadelphia.

Northern Liberties
Callowhill
Spring Arts/West Poplar
Franklintown
Francisville
Fairmount
Brewerytown
Templetown

Neighborhoods in the Riverwards District (North east of CC) that are seeing development

Fishtown
Olde Kensington
Kensington

It's not just South Philly seeing development, it is basically ALL of the city except for the Southwest and the Lower Northeast. And for the LAST TIME... the area you posted are Projects that were built some years ago. I think KidPhilly said 10 years ago. Those buildings are built cheaply and will not be there forever, once gentrification spreads to this are they will be demolished and replaced with new buildings I can guarantee you that.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Most of the places look nice, IMO. Some people wanna see brand new old buildings I guess

Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
There are a ton of developments happening north of Center City in Lower North Philadelphia. Most of the new construction I posted was in North Philadelphia or University City. There are a ton of areas seeing development in lower North Philadelphia.

Northern Liberties
Callowhill
Spring Arts/West Poplar
Franklintown
Francisville
Fairmount
Brewerytown
Templetown

Neighborhoods in the Riverwards District (North east of CC) that are seeing development

Fishtown
Olde Kensington
Kensington

It's not just South Philly seeing development, it is basically ALL of the city except for the Southwest and the Lower Northeast. And for the LAST TIME... the area you posted are Projects that were built some years ago. I think KidPhilly said 10 years ago. Those buildings are built cheaply and will not be there forever, once gentrification spreads to this are they will be demolished and replaced with new buildings I can guarantee you that.
North Philly is where many of the run down area's are. What are they doing for them? Are they building mixed income buildings with mainly market rate units and low income units sprinkled in? It doesn't seem like Philadelphia is doing that. Housing Projects are failed experiments and should now be absorbed into the market rate unit buildings like they do in D.C. Every building should be required to have a 20% reserved for low income people, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
North Philly is where many of the run down area's are. What are they doing for them? Are they building mixed income buildings with mainly market rate units and low income units sprinkled in? It doesn't seem like Philadelphia is doing that. Housing Projects are failed experiments and should now be absorbed into the market rate unit buildings like they do in D.C. Every building should be required to have a 20% reserved for low income people, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Let's not get into a discussion about the displacement of low-income residents due to gentrification; that's not exactly a topic that plays into DC's favor very well. The racial segregation and income stratification is pretty appalling there. While the racial segregation in Philly is pretty bad, at least you find an organic mix of incomes/social classes in many areas here that is practically unheard of in DC.

D.C. gentrification expands at expense of Black population

Again, like practically every major city, gentrification does have negative effects, but the Philadelphia has been in the forefront of mixed-income housing -- so your assertions are incorrect. Here are a few of many:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...9_htc_pg60.pdf

City Of Philadelphia Announces New Mixed-Use, Transit- Oriented Development Near Temple Rail Station « City of Philadelphia's News & Alerts

Falls Ridge opens first phase of mixed-income development The housing complex in East Falls replaces the blighted Schuylkill Falls project. Gov. Rendell spoke at the opening. - Philly.com

Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Let's not get into a discussion about the displacement of low-income residents due to gentrification; that's not exactly a topic that plays into DC's favor very well. The racial segregation and income stratification is pretty appalling there. While the racial segregation in Philly is pretty bad, at least you find an organic mix of incomes/social classes in many areas here that is practically unheard of in DC.

D.C. gentrification expands at expense of Black population

Again, like practically every major city, gentrification does have negative effects, but the Philadelphia has been in the forefront of mixed-income housing -- so your assertions are incorrect. Here are a few of many:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...9_htc_pg60.pdf

City Of Philadelphia Announces New Mixed-Use, Transit- Oriented Development Near Temple Rail Station « City of Philadelphia's News & Alerts

Falls Ridge opens first phase of mixed-income development The housing complex in East Falls replaces the blighted Schuylkill Falls project. Gov. Rendell spoke at the opening. - Philly.com
Every new building built in Washington D.C. since 2007 is required to have 20% of the units reserved for low income families. Yes, that is the LAW here. Who else can say that? It's also the law in Montgomery County. D.C.'s is called ADU and Montgomery Counties is called MPDU. All housing projects in D.C. that have been destroyed have been replaces with developments where density has increase by over 300% so all those residents may return while adding tons of market rate units also. D.C. is leading the pack in the policy area when it comes to low income residents. Residents that can no longer pay their taxes because their house is worth more than it used to be can sell for a profit. That is just the way the market works and has worked for ever. The only people who are ever truly displaced are renters and D.C. allows them to live in places with granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances.

Did you know that all the buildings being built in D.C. had a percentage set aside for low income residents?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,312 times
Quote:
Every new building built in Washington D.C. since 2007 is required to have 20% of the units reserved for low income families. Yes, that is the LAW here. Who else can say that? It's also the law in Montgomery County. D.C.'s is called ADU and Montgomery Counties is called MPDU. All housing projects in D.C. that have been destroyed have been replaces with developments where density has increase by over 300% so all those residents may return while adding tons of market rate units also. D.C. is leading the pack in the policy area when it comes to low income residents. Residents that can no longer pay their taxes because their house is worth more than it used to be can sell for a profit. That is just the way the market works and has worked for ever. The only people who are ever truly displaced are renters and D.C. allows them to live in places with granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances.

Did you know that all the buildings being built in D.C. had a percentage set aside for low income residents?
Probably a post for another thread, but forcing somebody to sell property below market is a good thing?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:

Honestly, I've never heard of such a law, and I used to live in DC. Google didn't yield any relevant results, either. I'm not doubting you, but do you have a source?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:18 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Lol no... North Philadelphia is gentrifying and a lot of people are moving into the areas. All those neighborhoods I listed are in Lower North Philadelphia. The area will probably be completely gentrified in 20 years or so.

Have you not heard of Urban Renewal or Gentrification? You even said neighborhoods in DC are being revitalized... well guess what it's not just happening in DC. Sure there are still some bad areas in North Philly, but North Philly is a big area. There are a lot of awesome neighborhoods in North Philly today and some more that are "up and coming"

Pictures of Northern Liberties as it looks today.

Welcome to Localism

Fishtown

http://www.phillybroadcaster.com/wp-content/uploads/artspicks-1.jpg (broken link)

Waterview Grande on the waterfront in Fishtown is an old factory in the process of being revitalized

Fairmount

Spring Garden/Poplar

Franklintown

On the right you can see the highrises that line the parkway in the Fairmount and Franklintown neighborhoods

You can see some of the highrises in Franklintown in this picture

http://philadelphia10.cityspur.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/condofeature.jpg (broken link)

Callowhill (Loft District)

View down North Broad in between Callowhill and Franklintown neighborhoods

Some of the high rises in Callowhill

Brewerytown

LOL

Templetown

Some videos of places in North Philly

Temple University Video Guide - YouTube

Temple University Main Campus - YouTube

Late for Class - Temple University Time-Lapse - YouTube

Temple University Spring Fling 2011 - YouTube

Northern Liberties

Community Video: Northern Liberties, PA - YouTube

View of Center City from North Philly

Not all of North Philly is ghetto and gentrification and urban revitalization is spreading quickly in Lower North Philly

Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Honestly, I've never heard of such a law, and I used to live in DC. Google didn't yield any relevant results, either. I'm not doubting you, but do you have a source?
Yes, I sure do. Here you go.

DCmud - The Urban Real Estate Digest of Washington DC: Inclusionary Zoning: DC's Mandatory Subsidized Housing Rules Kick In
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City