Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
With everything that is going on in downtown from shopping, retail, and new residential construction, do you really want to say that? The shopping in downtown DC is about to blow center city away.

MD you need to learn sarcasm in the first place

It looks promising for DC's shopping based on what I have seen.

In terms of all the construction; that is the crux of the conversation. Yes it is happening; will that make DC a better DT; yes. Does it mean it will surpass Boston or Philly; to me probably not

DC for better or worse is at at disadvantage to prodcue continuous vibrancy on a few levels. The infill is helping but has a ton of space to make up on the residential front (even with all these projects and more it will still be behind in this regard) and the expansve growth in a less concentrated form hurts underlying cohesion IMHO.

I know you wont agree so it is what it is

That said I still find DC as one of th best DTs in the country and will only get better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Penn Quarter has a population of about 10K people. Would gladly compare this area to just Rittenhouse Sq; ehh that is overkill would just say Washington Sq West. Rittenhouse would demolish it

Though on the Gallery place no Clydes here, that chain cant seem to break through in Philly though there s a Hagen Daas and even lucky strike to be found (Lucky strike though is Washington Sq West)
Actually, I think the Mid City/Logan Circle/Shaw area in DC is going to be the best comparison to Center City in about three years. This area is also going to be closer to the build of center city (Combination of High rises and row houses). This area will have a population density of 60,000-100,000 people per square mile across the whole area which matches center city better also.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Actually, I think the Mid City/Logan Circle/Shaw area in DC is going to be the best comparison to Center City in about three years. This area is also going to be closer to the build of center city (Combination of High rises and row houses). This area will have a population density of 60,000-100,000 people per square mile which matches center city better also.
are you talking peak or average; because there is a huge difference

And honestly those number seem hardly credible to me; just dont pass the hairy eyeball test

Also the rowhome areas there are much less dense than the rowhouse areas in and around center city

Some quick serches show that area would need to more double in population to even come close (not even achieving and means more people than all of DT DC added in the last 15 years in the expanded set) to the bottom end of the range you posted. The dense high rise areas around Rittenhouse (vastly more dense than any place in DC in terms of height and concentration of residential are 60-80K). Frankly MD while you may be right that this area may see the most growth I just dont even remotely by that average. I lived in this area of DC and was just there last month; the area you are talking about is my personal favorite area of DC or the greater DC DT

I agree this area will grow I dont even remotely buy any reality that this sapce will come close to this level of Density

Allstar this little tract is at 80K (you suggest above this, this is wall to wall 30-50 story resdiential buildings in this tract) It just doesnt meet the sniff test, sorry your number is wildly wrong

Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
MD you need to learn sarcasm in the first place

It looks promising for DC's shopping based on what I have seen.

In terms of all the construction; that is the crux of the conversation. Yes it is happening; will that make DC a better DT; yes. Does it mean it will surpass Boston or Philly; to me probably not

DC for better or worse is at at disadvantage to prodcue continuous vibrancy on a few levels. The infill is helping but has a ton of space to make up on the residential front (even with all these projects and more it will still be behind in this regard) and the expansve growth in a less concentrated form hurts underlying cohesion IMHO.

I know you wont agree so it is what it is

That said I still find DC as one of th best DTs in the country and will only get better
I said that already too. I agreed with that remember? I think the Mid City/Logan Circle/Shaw area is going to be a better comparison to center city. They have similar builds also. They also have similar population density. The projects moving through that area is going to put it on par with the very best neighborhood in the nation.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
are you talking peak or average; because there is a huge difference

And honestly those number seem hardly credible to me; just dont pass the hairy eyeball test

Also the rowhome areas there are much less dense than the rowhouse areas in and around center city

Some quick serches show that area would need to more double in population to even come close (not even achieving and means more people than all of DT DC added in the last 15 years in the expanded set) to the bottom end of the range you posted. The dense high rise areas around Rittenhouse (vastly more dense than any place in DC in terms of height and concentration of residential are 60-80K). Frankly MD while you may be right that this area may see the most growth I just dont even remotely by that average. I lived in this area of DC and was just there last month; the area you are talking about is my personal favorite area of DC or the greater DC DT

I agree this area will grow I dont even remotely buy any reality that this sapce will come close to this level of Density

Allstar this little tract is at 80K (you suggest above this, this is wall to wall 30-50 story resdiential buildings in this tract) It just doesnt meet the sniff test, sorry your number is wildly wrong

Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps
Well, some of the areas I'm talking about have around 60,000-66,000 now. I just used a wide range out there becuase I don't have any census tracs to look at right now becuase I'm on my phone. The thing you have to realize about the density for this area is there aren't many areas with office space in this area so that doesn't effect the density. A tract with 4,000 in DC adding two or three 300+ unit buildings is going to raise the density considerably. That is what is happening to all the boulevards in this area.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Well, some of the areas I'm talking about have around 60,000-66,000 now. I just through a wide range out there becuase I don't have any census tracs to look at right now becuase I'm on my phone. The thing have to realize about the density for this area is there aren't many areas with office space in this area so that doesn't effect the density. A tract with 4,000 in DC adding two or three 300+ unit buildings is going to raise the density considerably. That is what is happening to all the boulevards in this area.
Yes peak; not maintained over that full area; my point

Also the rowhouse tracts in that area are 20-30K whereas even these in Philly are denser at 40+ (though most of the rowhomes in Philly are multi-units with more units per, they are also generally taller in Philly menaing more floors to begin with. I will say say I love some of the architecture of the rows in that area of DC and those nabe are right up my alley)

I dont deny some peak tracts will be in that range but not the whole area

Center City averages about 56K based on the last census. I do agree in that with you that that area of DC will be one of the best urban nabes in America, in most ways it already is

For whatever reason you just made me think about when I saw MJ shooting hoops in the Gym at the Ritz in that area; was surreal, ok enough of my personal daydream

Old 03-09-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Also the rowhouse tracts in that area are 20-30K whereas even these in Philly are denser at 40+ (though most of the rowhomes in Philly are multi-units with more units per, they are also generally taller in Philly menaing more floors to begin with. I will say say I love some of the architecture of the rows in that area of DC and those nabe are right up my alley)

Center City averages about 56K based on the last census. I do agree in that with you that that area of DC will be one of the best urban nabes in America, in most ways it already is

For whatever reason you just made me think about when I saw MJ shooting hoops in the Gym at the Ritz in that area; was surreal, ok enough of my personal daydream
You know me and I love construction so I just want to shed some light on what is happening in this area. The entire 14th street between Logan circle and U street is going to be all high rises. The same thing is happening on 7th from Convention Center through Howard University. 9th street is seeing Highrise development as well. The same goes for Rhode Island Ave. U street and Florida Ave are also seeing major Highrise development. By 2015, this area is going to really be bustling. An even bigger difference is the ground floor retail every where that will really transform these boulevards.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
You know me and I love construction so I just want to shed some light on what is happening in this area. The entire 14th street between Logan circle and U street is going to be all high rises. The same thing is happening on 7th from Convention Center through Howard University. 9th street is seeing Highrise development as well. The same goes for Rhode Island Ave. U street and Florida Ave are also seeing major Highrise development. By 2015, this area is going to really be bustling. An even bigger difference is the ground floor retail every where that will really transform these boulevards.

That will be a really nice addition to the area

Just hope they retain some of the great architectural blocks

Old 03-09-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
That will be a really nice addition to the area

Just hope they retain some of the great architectural blocks
I agree! Why can't you and I always have these friendly exchanges like this? That was genuine actually and we should be able to do this always. I love hearing what is going on in Philly which you already know based on our previous conversations. Let's keep this up!

Old 03-09-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:

You know what, I think I may be wrong about the northern half of downtown D.C. being the closest comparison. The southern half including Capitol Riverfront and SW Waterfront is probably going to offer the greatest comparison since it will be full of all tall 12-15 story residential structures unlike the northern half which will only rise to 9 stories at the most. It also offers more of a unique experience. The residential population and density will be sky high down there compared to other parts of the city because the entire thing will be 12-15 story residential high rises or low rise lofts. They also have row houses built there too. Also, the waterfronts will be amazing.

I really think you should take a look at the PUD for the waterfront in SW. They have spared no expense for what they plan to do there and it will be extremely unique unlike the boring office buildings in the central parts of downtown D.C.

This is the PUD for Phase One. There are three phases.
Southwest...The Little Quadrant That Could: Wharf PUD Presentation Recap

Obviously you have seen what is happening in Capitol Riverfront before:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/248/5...6c818f579e.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City