Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Philadelphia regain its #5th rank?
Yes, Philly will overtake Phoenix 46 29.87%
No, Phoenix will remain the 5th city 108 70.13%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I've got nothing against Philly.

It's just reality that Philly has no need to massively redevelop. It would be much better to just rehab the parts of the city that need it. there is plenty of housing stock to go around.

Yes there is but still much of this is still inhabited (the density of the city as whole is greater than 10,000 ppsm). The city however slowly has redeveloped many neighborhoods over the last 15 years, hence reversing the population decline to growth trends within the city. the newly developed areas have all regained 20-30+ ppsm density but some neighborhoods will just never get back to the 40ppsm that existed during the industrial heyday outside the core - families have gotten much smaller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,112,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
"The Week" magazine says that on page 19.
Search Dallas population at 1.4 million on Google, you'll find some articles. Even their Wikipedia page says that.

No lie, I'm just as surprised as you are. A month ago I was surprised to find out it passed 1.3 million back in 2009, and now I'm surprised yet again...

The week magazine is incorrect.
North Central Texas Council of Governments links. The city grew by 10K. Nowhere near 1.4 million. The estimate is 1,316,350 jan 1 2010. anyone can edit wikipedia, and if wikipedia doesn't catch wrong info will be displayed. San Antonio is ahead by nearly 100k Dallas proper will never regain 7th place.

http://www.nctcog.org/ris/demographi...pEstimates.pdf

http://www.nctcog.org/ris/demographi...pEstimates.pdf

Research & Information Services - NCTCOG.org

Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 AM

457 posts, read 1,109,346 times
The Census Bureau's new 2009 estimates came out today...

Phoenix came in at 1,601,587, up over 20,000 from 2008.

Philly came in at 1,547,297 up about 7,000 from 2008.

I am guessing the gap is only going to grow over time. Which is should considering the gap in land area between the two.

I think the real question maybe how long can Philly hold on to 6th place? San Antonio is coming on strong, but there is enough of a gap to keep it off for another 10 yrs or so.

Philly looks to have stabalized and is now growing modestly. Which is amazing compared to other formerly dense old school cities like Baltimore and Pittsburgh. I think Philly has firmly established itself along with Bos, SF, Chi, and NYC as one of the US's true "urban cities."

Old 06-22-2010, 11:51 AM

18 posts, read 45,857 times
Quote:
This is how I see it;

Right now in this decade yes, they're so close like almost neck in neck right now, and Phoenix's economy is hit hard where as Philadelphia is better off this decade economically and growth wise than it has been in decades.

This decade I will say that yes, Philadelphia will surpass Phoenix yet again, but later this decade, they'll trade places again and this time Phoenix will go in to keep it.

My reasons are the same as what Renaud says.

And yes, in 40 years when USA's population hits 400 million, I can see Philadelphia getting back up to the 2 million mark.

And I agree with Kidphilly, Chicago has had some nice development going on south loop. I have some pictures of the ENTIRE downtown/loop area, 530+ pictures and such (just for Chicago). And I'm slowly uploading those if anyone is interested to see what Chicago's got going on, or what it's architecture looks like! I also have spent this past 5 days in Cleveland, Indianapolis, Detroit, Ann Arbor (my former school), Urbana-Champaign, and Columbus. I have videos to them all and pictures as well, if anyone is interested in seeing.

San Antonio has to worry about Dallas. From every source I have read in the last few days, it appears Dallas's population has also reached 1.4 million mark. In 2008 it was at 1.28 million.... that's a huge change for Dallas...
When, and where can one view your photos and videos from your tour of the midwest cities?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:03 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlingDallas View Post
When, and where can one view your photos and videos from your tour of the midwest cities?
City Data has no mass uploader where I can just upload the entire album all at once, so I have to do 3 pictures at a time, and it gets frustrating so I'm taking it slow. But the album for Chicago will be completely up by the end of tomorrow, then I'll start on my Detroit album, then Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis. Then finish it off with Ann Arbor and Urbana-Champaign.

It's going to be located on my city data profile.

The only reason I'm not posting on Flikr is because I don't really want people using it for various things, and adding watermarks takes forever! Lol.

In a few weeks when I'm back in Texas, I'm going to do a Texas cities tour, with Fort Worth, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, & Houston. (I'd include El Paso, but the drive is insanely long!)

Then finally in early August my Boston- Miami tour pictures will be up. (after I visit them all in August though) And I still have to upload my California pictures from a year or so ago....

Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
But it is sorrounded by more MAJOR metros than any other city in the country so yes it's boundaries can't expand
Exactly, which is why cities like NYC, Boston, Baltimore, and DC will be getting most of the growth pie in the Northeast region than Philly. Since it does not stand alone as the main "hub" city in the region (which was my point earlier) it's going to have more competition with it's neighbors for population, industries etc.. Philly is without a doubt one of the most urban cities in the country (no disputing that) but in reality it does not have the same growth rate like San Diego or Dallas. Now Chicago is a stand alone city. A regional main hub for the Midwest I mean like NYC is for the Northeast. Philly use to be the main hub (a stand alone city) in the Northeast. One day Philly may just become a suburb of NYC's cmsa. j/k

Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Exactly, which is why cities like NYC, Boston, Baltimore, and DC will be getting most of the growth pie in the Northeast region than Philly. Since it does not stand alone as the main "hub" city in the region (which was my point earlier) it's going to have more competition with it's neighbors for population, industries etc.. Philly is without a doubt one of the most urban cities in the country (no disputing that) but in reality it does not have the same growth rate like San Diego or Dallas. Now Chicago is a stand alone city. A regional main hub for the Midwest I mean like NYC is for the Northeast. Philly use to be the main hub (a stand alone city) in the Northeast. One day Philly may just become a suburb of NYC's cmsa. j/k

I honestly do not see how Philly does not stand on it's own. The city is one of the largest economies in the world all by itself. It is the the 4th largest Urban population in the country and 5th largest metro, so again please tell me how it odes not stand on its own?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 PM

I'm not saying it doesn't stand on it's own as a "city" don't get me wrong. Atlantic City is it's own city like Boston is. What I meant by "stand alone" is a city that dominates a region as the main hub when it comes to over all competition. Philly stands very little chance to take back it's majority share of the growth pie (jobs, companies, population etc.) in the Northeast. NYC is a stand alone "hub" city in the Northeast because it gets most of that pie growth. It would take more than Philly to get most of that pie to increase it's growth rate number. As a result, Philly has too many cities in the region to compete with. It will never catch up with NYC to become the stand alone city of the Northeast even if it when back to it's former population peak. NYC will continue to remain the king of the entire Northeast region (let alone the country) for a very long time. Philly had it's day like Boston once did. Now the spot light is on NYC for bigger gains in the Northeast like population.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
What I meant by "stand alone" is a city that dominates a region as the main hub when it comes to over all competition. Philly stands very little chance to take back it's majority share of the growth pie (jobs, companies, population etc.) in the Northeast.
Can't you say the same for Baltimore. Granted it's proximity to Washington DC will help it grow... but still?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Can't you say the same for Baltimore. Granted it's proximity to Washington DC will help it grow... but still?
If Baltimore were situated were Wilmington, DE is then it would help but it's not part of Philly's metro. It's like trying to make Harrisburg part of Philly when it's not. Washington-Baltimore is what Northern NJ is to NYC. Philly doesn't have that kind of swimming pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City