Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Philadelphia regain its #5th rank?
Yes, Philly will overtake Phoenix 46 29.87%
No, Phoenix will remain the 5th city 108 70.13%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:20 PM

8,668 posts, read 10,209,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Phoenix's journalists will tell the truth, even if their CD homers won't: Phoenix may be losing people
Wow...you really spent all that time trying to find an article from 2009 just to try to do more flaming. Chances are that the city and metro population was just overestimated throughout the past 10 years.

What the hell is your grudge against Phoenix anyways? Please get a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Phoenix's journalists will tell the truth, even if their CD homers won't: Phoenix may be losing people
If you're no homer yourself, I'm not sure who is.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Wow...you really spent all that time trying to find an article from 2009 just to try to do more flaming. Chances are that the city and metro population was just overestimated throughout the past 10 years.

What the hell is your grudge against Phoenix anyways? Please get a life.
negative information about your city does not necessarily equate a grudge against it. also my first 5 or so posts on this thread i kept saying nothing negative about phoenix and admitting i've never been there. it was only because you kept prodding me to learn about your city and speak my own opinions that i finally decided to let you know what i thought about phoenix.

you're welcome to let me know what you think about philadelphia. i assure you it won't hurt my feelings.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:42 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,299,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Wow...you really spent all that time trying to find an article from 2009 just to try to do more flaming.
Actually, it was no trouble at all. Here's how to do it: On your computer, you can use something called a "search engine." You enter a term or two and before you know it, FACTS pop up. It's absolutely amazing.

You might try it before making any more posts.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
negative information about your city does not necessarily equate a grudge against it. also my first 5 or so posts on this thread i kept saying nothing negative about phoenix and admitting i've never been there. it was only because you kept prodding me to learn about your city and speak my own opinions that i finally decided to let you know what i thought about phoenix.

you're welcome to let me know what you think about philadelphia. i assure you it won't hurt my feelings.
I can assure you this has nothing to do with hurt feelings. Since you admitted that you've never visited Phoenix, I only suggested that you experience Phoenix before forming your own opinions, which is certainly different from the direction you took which was focusing on hearsay and others' sweeping generalizations. I have formed my opinions on cities in these threads because I have experienced them. I've been to Philly, but I've never spent enough significant time to be able to comment positively or negatively and I wouldn't go so far as to trash a city based on one article I read in a newspaper or a few disgruntled visitors/residents from that city.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Actually, it was no trouble at all. Here's how to do it: On your computer, you can use something called a "search engine." You enter a term or two and before you know it, FACTS pop up. It's absolutely amazing.

You might try it before making any more posts.
You don't even know what the word FACT means. Now, that is a fact!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:56 PM

37,329 posts, read 39,741,899 times
Oh hi guys I love Philly!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 PM

521 posts, read 1,316,818 times
I think Philadelphia growth is underrated. It is one of the best cities for future growth in the Bos-Wash corridor because it is relatively cheap and provides enough opportunities though it can do a lot more to help its cause.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,630,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Funny how population figures are "meaningless" when Phoenix passed Philadelphia, but suddenly we see that was not the case and Philadelphia rejoices at their protected ranking.
That's because those population figures were, in fact, meaningless. Because they were estimates. And as we know have found out, they grossly overestimated the population of Phoenix.

Phoenix may certainly pass up Philadelphia before the 2020 Census. But Philadelphia will be light years ahead of Phoenix when it comes to importance, culture, education, finance, architecture and most other sectors that make a city truly a "place" and not just a collection of strip malls. Phoenix has a lot of work to do to catch up, no matter what their arbitrary city population number is.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
That's because those population figures were, in fact, meaningless. Because they were estimates. And as we know have found out, they grossly overestimated the population of Phoenix.

Phoenix may certainly pass up Philadelphia before the 2020 Census. But Philadelphia will be light years ahead of Phoenix when it comes to importance, culture, education, finance, architecture and most other sectors that make a city truly a "place" and not just a collection of strip malls. Phoenix has a lot of work to do to catch up, no matter what their arbitrary city population number is.
Is it really necessary to always trash a city when trying to prop up your own? No one stated the insignificance of Philly, yet here you are, another Philly booster who feels the need to trash Phoenix. It seems the only people trying to compare Philly to Phoenix are the Philly boosters. So what if the cities/metros are different. Should I start stating how your beloved Philly will always amount to nothing more than a shadow of NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City