Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 02:38 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,038,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
The carnal nature of an Unrepentent person IS seperated from God, but, thru the constant urging and prompting from the Holy Spirit they oftentimes become LESS carnal and MORE open to the things of God ; but not all of the time. Some folks WANT to remain in their carnality for whatever reason(s) while others hearts do become quickened by Gods interaction in thie lives. Regardless of which occurs, it is the person who has veto power over the Holy Spirits leading if they so choose. God leaves it up to the Individual and doesnt MAKE us do anything -- not even become Saved so they can enjoy eternity. Until that person recieves Christ, that person does not, cannot, and will not get Christs spirit living WITHIN them .
I disagree, I believe that man cannot veto God's Power. If God has purposed to save us then there is nothing man can do to prevent it.

Isa 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Obviously God seems pretty confident about what He does. If man could just veto God then God would have no confidence in persuading man.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,055,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I disagree, I believe that man cannot veto God's Power. If God has purposed to save us then there is nothing man can do to prevent it.

Isa 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Obviously God seems pretty confident about what He does. If man could just veto God then God would have no confidence in persuading man.

Paul
Isa. 55:6-7 is an encouragement for people TO SEEK The Lord ... If God has purposed to save us , then why would his Word encourage people to seek him ? Surely it is Gods will that ALL will come to repentence in order that they will be saved (John 3:16) , therefore, if your assertion is correct then ALL people would come to repentence. But of course, they dont. Its because people can willfully reject the drawing from the Holy Spirit if they so choose to.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Isa. 55:6-7 is an encouragement for people TO SEEK The Lord ... If God has purposed to save us , then why would his Word encourage people to seek him ? Surely it is Gods will that ALL will come to repentence in order that they will be saved (John 3:16) , therefore, if your assertion is correct then ALL people would come to repentence. But of course, they dont. Its because people can willfully reject the drawing from the Holy Spirit if they so choose to.
All people will be saved. Our nature can do nothing but willfully reject God. But He gives of His spirit to us as He determines and when He determines. Eventually all shall be saved by that Spirit.

Paul

Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
All people will be saved. Our nature can do nothing but willfully reject God. But He gives of His spirit to us as He determines and when He determines. Eventually all shall be saved by that Spirit.

Paul
Are you saying that all peoples will be saved and thus go to heaven ?

Old 08-16-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that all peoples will be saved and thus go to heaven ?
Yes, absolutely (UNIVERSALLY). None to be excluded.

Paul

Old 08-16-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, absolutely (UNIVERSALLY). None to be excluded.

Paul
Where on earth do you get the theology that ALL people will be saved and go to heaven, from ?! That is as far away from scripture as it gets . Have you not heard of Hell where the Unregenerate go according to Jesus himself ?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Where on earth do you get the theology that ALL people will be saved and go to heaven, from ?! That is as far away from scripture as it gets . Have you not heard of Hell where the Unregenerate go according to Jesus himself ?
RVLover, I believe the traditional Hell is a flawed understanding and that I also believe that the words used for punishment and eternal or everlasting are also flawed. Most universalists have investigated those words and found them to be in error. For example, consider that the word "punishment" is translated from the Greek word "Kolasis". Kolasis is derived from Kolazo which is the ACT of curtailing something. So Kolasis is the punishment used to CURTAIL. If someone is forever being curtailed then the curtailment would NEVER happen. But also consider this, if sinner are eternal tormented then it would mean that Jesus never did destroy sin.

Doesn't that strike you as a bit odd that traditional hell essentially just teaches that Sin gets its own dominion (sin gets a home and has rule for eternity over its subjects)?

Paul

Old 08-16-2009, 10:22 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,862 times
Quote:
Sure but HOW does one get the Holy Spirit?

Paul
u dont have to "GET" the HOly Spirit for HIM to work on your heart............

Old 08-17-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICN2U View Post
u dont have to "GET" the HOly Spirit for HIM to work on your heart............
True, I believe He is working on EVERY heart universally at every moment.

Paul

Old 08-17-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote : RVLover, I believe the traditional Hell is a flawed understanding and that I also believe that the words used for punishment and eternal or everlasting are also flawed. Most universalists have investigated those words and found them to be in error. For example, consider that the word "punishment" is translated from the Greek word "Kolasis". Kolasis is derived from Kolazo which is the ACT of curtailing something. So Kolasis is the punishment used to CURTAIL. If someone is forever being curtailed then the curtailment would NEVER happen. But also consider this, if sinner are eternal tormented then it would mean that Jesus never did destroy sin.

Doesn't that strike you as a bit odd that traditional hell essentially just teaches that Sin gets its own dominion (sin gets a home and has rule for eternity over its subjects)?

REPLY: Paul, May I ask what Church you belong ? Im curious. Thanks.
Jesus and the Apostles made it quite clear that a literal Hell was created for Satan, his Demons, and all unrepentent to spend eternity in an environment of punishment and suffering. Their teachings were not metaphorical . It is a real Place which was necessary because of Gods extreme holiness and justice . Jesus destroyed the power of Sin at the Cross, and it remnants are forever banned far away from the presence of God as possible , for eternity. Yes, sin does get a permanent home which is what the above mentioned subjects desired and it is something which God simply grants them. If there is no biblical Hell, then God is not infinitely Just.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity