Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 04:16 PM

14,911 posts, read 17,223,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The correct translation shows that God is NOT angry everday.

Psalm 7:11 (Young's Literal Translation):

11God [is] a righteous judge, And He is not angry at all times.

As A.P. Adam's writes (thanks AbbasChild for showing this quote on another forum!)

Quote:
Psalm 7:11; "God judgeth the righteous and God is angry with the wicked every day." So it reads in the common version, but so it ought not to read. The correct reading is just the opposite, viz., "God is a righteous judge and He is not angry always." So, Young renders it, so also the Vulgate, Septuagint an Syriac. The original word for "God" is very similar to the word for "not." "El" means God; "al" means not; in the original there is not so much difference as in the English, as the vowels are very nearly alike. Doubtless these two words became confused and thus the error occurred; the corrected rendering agrees perfectly with such passages as Psa. 103:8,9; Isa. 57:16; Mic. 7:18,19.

Thanks for sharing, Domoman. If God sees beginning to end, and knew what would happen in the creation, how can He be angry in the sense that we understand this? I believe that He displays His wrath to teach us right from wrong, to teach us to desire goodness and righteousness, to turn away from wrong. Thanks again. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Love is not a "virtue" of God. Love is what God is. That is his essence. Can hatred be found in love? Can wrath be found in love?

God is love. God is not wrath. God is not hate.

Now lets be clear. God shows wrath. God shows anger. But even these actions are done for an ultimately loving goal, because GOD is LOVE.

God will not show wrath for eternity. He will not be angry forever:

Micah 7:18 Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.

Even the wrath and judgment outlined in Revelations will eventually end:

Rev 15:1 I saw in heaven another great and marvelous sign: seven angels with the seven last plagues—last, because with them God's wrath is completed.

THINK about this. God does not stay angry because he delights to show mercy! Yet you believe he will be eternally angry at those in hell and never show them mercy?!? Your doctrine of eternal torment contradicts the scriptures friend.

Read this link at mercifultruth.com

It is a good intro to Universal Salvation and will answer a lot of your questions. For many other articles you could check out tentmaker.

Be well...
Amen, legoman. God bless.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:21 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,585,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Amen, legoman. God bless.
You are making the mistake of bringing God to your level by asking those questions. We must go to His level. You are arguing from a finite, fallen, twisted, perverted false foundation of standards. God is love but God does hate. Don't sugar coat it. He hates but His hate is righteous and holy than your best love.

You can't compare our love with God's. His ways, His thoughts are higher. Read scripture for what it is, don't try to philosophize it because of something you don't like or fully comprehend.

and to answer your question, YES!

and what do you say to this Shana. Why are we comparing God to our standards. why can't it be recognized that God's anger is better than our best love?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:27 PM

His Word teaches me, Fundamentalist, that God is love, agape, and that He even loves His own enemies. Jesus died for His enemies, so this tells me the nature and extent of God's love. It is not hate and his wrath does not last forever. God is love that will restore all to Himself, change all hearts and wills so that all will glorify Him one day. His love is what rules in the creation, not hate, for God is love. God bless you.

Quote:

Now lets be clear. God shows wrath. God shows anger. But even these actions are done for an ultimately loving goal, because GOD is LOVE.

Micah 7:18 Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.

Rev 15:1 I saw in heaven another great and marvelous sign: seven angels with the seven last plagues—last, because with them God's wrath is completed.

THINK about this. God does not stay angry because he delights to show mercy! Yet you believe he will be eternally angry at those in hell and never show them mercy?!? Your doctrine of eternal torment contradicts the scriptures friend.

It is a good intro to Universal Salvation and will answer a lot of your questions. For many other articles you could check out tentmaker.

Be well

Old 06-24-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
His word teaches me, Fundamentalist, that God is love, agape, and that He even loves His own enemies. Jesus died for His enemies, so this tells me the nature and extent of God's love. It is not hate. It is a love that will restore all to Himself, change all hearts and wills so that all will glorify Him one day. His love is what rules in the creation, not hate, for God is love. God bless you.
That is not what I asked?
Quote:
Why are we comparing God to our standards. Is God's anger better than our best love?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:29 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,362,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
That is not what I asked?
I actually think it is you Fundy comparing God to our standards

Old 06-24-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I am comparing God to no standards. God is God and what I read I accept. I don't try to make excuses for Him or deliberately twist words to fit our ears.

Quote:
Is God's anger better than our best love?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I believe that I must agree His standard is revealed in His Word and His Word teaches that God is love, agape, not hate. Agape love even loves His own enemies. Jesus died for His enemies, so this tells me the nature and extent of God's love. It is not hate. It is a love that will restore all to Himself, change all hearts and wills so that all will glorify Him one day. His love is what rules in the creation, not hate, for God is love. God bless you.

Quote:

Be well
Romans 8:18-22
18. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.19. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.20. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope21. that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.22. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:37 PM

interesting how no one wants to answer that question?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How am I comparing God to our standards? I accept scripture for what it is, what it reads. I am not the one using greek text to try to remove a clear attribute from God, somehow giving Him an excuse.

You need to really examine yourself on seeing who is the one changing text. You base your doctrine off of one "bible" when all the others don't agree. Yet! I am the one bringing God down to our standards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity