Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:46 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,181,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Whose religion? Whose prayers?

Prayer is denominational in nature. What is perfectly acceptable for a Baptist might be wrong to a Catholic or Episcopalian.

So when somebody talks about wanting prayer in schools, what they're really saying is that they want to have THEIR prayers said in school.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 09:51 PM

21 posts, read 64,447 times
Watch the MOVIE
ZEITGEIST, it might change your mind. Its crazy good!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:54 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,797,231 times
FWIW, students are allowed to pray in school, as long as it's not disruptive to the class/situation and is lead by students, not teachers/faculty.

Bible reading is allowed in school, as long as it is not led by faculty and doesn't interfere with class, i.e. in study hall or during lunch.

Students are allowed to present projects or assignments that invoke their religious worldview as long as it comports with the assignment, such as in situations where they're asked to provide original writings on social issues.

Also, I am a Christian and I do not want my children to attend a school where prayer, bible reading, etc. are forced to be practiced for two reasons mainly:

1) Today, religion is pluralistic in nature and as you've seen, you wouldn't be able to just "practice" Christianity; if you let one in, you'd have to let them all in. I'm all for "religious study" of an academic nature, but leave the teaching of my faith to my kids to me, the parent, where it rightfully belongs.

2) In this day and age, there are teachers who don't accept the Christian worldview and IF it were passed and teachers were compelled to do what you asked, you'd have non-believers attempting to practice/teach faith to possible believers. Not appropriate, IMO.

If you want all the things you mentioned in the school your kids attend, send them to a Christian school of your choice. Public schools should remain as they are. Students' rights to free speech and freedom of religion doesn't stop when the enter the building, but don't compel others to do the same... it won't turn out good.

Moral decay is a societal issue and not merely relegated to what happened in the public schools ... that's a symptom, not a causation. These issues are best addressed by parents and families on a private level. Once someone's been touched and turns to God, their behavior should change for the better as well. It's decay that has to be stopped on an individual level and not on a wholesale level.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,181,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
FWIW, students are allowed to pray in school, as long as it's not disruptive to the class/situation and is lead by students, not teachers/faculty.

Bible reading is allowed in school, as long as it is not led by faculty and doesn't interfere with class, i.e. in study hall or during lunch.

Students are allowed to present projects or assignments that invoke their religious worldview as long as it comports with the assignment, such as in situations where they're asked to provide original writings on social issues.

Also, I am a Christian and I do not want my children to attend a school where prayer, bible reading, etc. are forced to be practiced for two reasons mainly:

1) Today, religion is pluralistic in nature and as you've seen, you wouldn't be able to just "practice" Christianity; if you let one in, you'd have to let them all in. I'm all for "religious study" of an academic nature, but leave the teaching of my faith to my kids to me, the parent, where it rightfully belongs.

2) In this day and age, there are teachers who don't accept the Christian worldview and IF it were passed and teachers were compelled to do what you asked, you'd have non-believers attempting to practice/teach faith to possible believers. Not appropriate, IMO.

If you want all the things you mentioned in the school your kids attend, send them to a Christian school of your choice. Public schools should remain as they are. Students' rights to free speech and freedom of religion doesn't stop when the enter the building, but don't compel others to do the same... it won't turn out good.
Good post.
And I'd also like to point out that keeping religion out of schools doesn't promote atheism, but secularism. It's best for everybody.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:02 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,079,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
Religion and the Bible was outlawed in the early 1960s in public schools across the country, along with prayers too. I think that we need to bring it back into schools, because I think it would help with all of the teen pregnancies and drug uses and alcohol and homicide rates which are increasing. I read and saw graphs where they showed levels for each of the things I listed above, immediately after the government outlawed religion in public schools, the rate for everyone of these things went up, but they were stable and declining before they outlawed it. Could outlawing religion in schools be the cause of society's problems today?
I'd like to see those graphs. Sources too.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:20 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,868,891 times
This thread is why there were no "government run" schools for my girls! They went to private schools and have thanked us profusely for their education.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 PM

763 posts, read 2,263,198 times
I would like to say that we have gone too far the other direction, though.

One example was a school in a city where I used to live had the Koran and other non-Christian religious books in the name of "diversity", but banned the Bible from the library.

Here locally, they tried to ban the meet me at the pole (or whatever they call it) because it was on school grounds.

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga a few years back tried to prohibit the Baptist Student Union from meeting at the school, even though the BSU paid for their space, because of "separation" issues, but the school itself sponsored a pagan meeting to celebrate diversity.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:09 AM

537 posts, read 1,324,165 times
If you want your children to be Christ followers and not world followers HOMESCHOOL!!!! It all starts at home.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:12 AM

537 posts, read 1,324,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg23 View Post
Watch the MOVIE
ZEITGEIST, it might change your mind. Its crazy good!
Highly recommended for those who want to be put to sleep LOL. I could'nt last two minutes.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,047,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
Religion and the Bible was outlawed in the early 1960s in public schools across the country, along with prayers too. I think that we need to bring it back into schools, because I think it would help with all of the teen pregnancies and drug uses and alcohol and homicide rates which are increasing. I read and saw graphs where they showed levels for each of the things I listed above, immediately after the government outlawed religion in public schools, the rate for everyone of these things went up, but they were stable and declining before they outlawed it. Could outlawing religion in schools be the cause of society's problems today?
I strongly believe that there is a strong correlation between outlawing the Bible & prayer with the current sad state our public schools are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity