Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2021, 09:52 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,845,403 times

Advertisements

I am hearing the Universalist say that "everlasting punishment" is really "age-abiding correction"

My question has to do with the following scripture.

2Th 1:8, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
2Th 1:9, Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

How does everlasting destruction (I will even concede "age-abiding destruction") translate into mere correction?

If you are being destroyed for an age, that appears to me to mean that you are going to come out of that age, even if you get to have life at the end of that age, you will be significantly less whole than when you started; because you will have been being destroyed for the age that precedes your receiving life.

I do have an answer for the retort that I believe I will receive as concerning this argument; but I am going to wait for that retort to be made before I answer it.

I assure you that I do not believe that 1 Thessalonians 1:9 preaches annihilationism.

However, it does appear to refute the idea that some will have "age-abiding correction" and then enter into life; since they will be being destroyed in the time of "correction" and therefore at the very best they will enter into life lame.

But if God is going to merely render people lame when He places them in hell, why does He tell us to render ourselves lame as a better alternative to being cast into hell (Matthew 5:29-30, Mark 9:42-48)?

Also, why would God bring destruction on those whom He is later going to give the kingdom of heaven? Why would He diminish that person's wholeness if they are ultimately going to enter into life?

Old 07-16-2021, 09:54 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Nevertheless, Christ's blood sacrifice on the Cross is the only way to salvation; without placing your faith in this one extravenous fact, you cannot ever go to heaven.
What is heaven? Or, are you comparing it to that eternal hellhole that you preach?

Old 07-16-2021, 09:57 PM

(cont'd from #4241)

I think it has to do with the fact that we are saved by grace through faith.

Since salvation is the gift of God, why would anyone who is going to be a recipient of salvation have to, prior to entering into life, suffer the diminishing of their own wholeness that is defined in their destruction?

Old 07-16-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What is heaven? Or, are you comparing it to that eternal hellhole that you preach?
See Psalms 16:11 and Revelation 21:4.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:09 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Quote:
See Psalms 16:11 and Revelation 21:4.
In other words, you cannot define heaven, other than it is a place where you will no longer cry like a baby!

Old 07-16-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
In other words, you cannot define heaven, other than it is a place where you will no longer cry like a baby!
I define heaven in the same manner that the verses I gave you define heaven.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:59 PM

When those who have rejected Christ have been utterly cast into a permanent hell, it is then that all those who deceived their neighbors, by teaching them that this particular thing does not exist, will also be cast into that permanent hell; for that they did not warn people of what awaited them for their rejection of Christ but told them that they effectually did not need to receive Christ.

And those who are cast into that permanent hell will also know at that time that what they were teaching their neighbor was false.

It may in fact take the culmination of these things to convince the Universalist that a permanent hell is in fact very real.

However, the Holy Ghost, whom Jesus said He would send, has the power to convict the world, not only of sin and righteousness, but of judgment.

So, it is my prayer that the Holy Ghost will do His job and convince the Universalist of the truth by testifying to him of the fact of a permanent hell so that he will do what it takes in order to avoid that fate.

In preaching hell fire and brimstone, it must be ascertained that I do so in order to warn people of a reality that can be avoided. I tell them of where they are going in order that they might take the necessary steps to receive Jesus as their Lord and Saviour so that they ultimately don't have to go there.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:10 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,030,030 times
Quote:
I am hearing the Universalist say that "everlasting punishment" is really "age-abiding correction"

Yikes, the proponent of unending damnation has returned. Your eyes see not, your ears hear not, with nothing entering into your heart what our God has prepared for you,

One third of our Lord's declarations of krina and krisis are directed to you, our present day Pharisee. You therefore need to become thoroughly acquainted with "greater damnation" and how it is directed towards you.

Olethros aiōnios should also be in your vast arsenal lol.

Last edited by Rose2Luv; 07-17-2021 at 12:18 AM..

Old 07-17-2021, 12:25 AM

Damnation

There are exactly 11 verses (in the KJV).

In 3 of the 11, it is directed towards none other than the Scribes & Pharisees.

What is damnation?

koine ktisis

1. Judgment

2. A separation.

3. A decision given (right or wrong).

4. Condemnation & penalty.

Koine krima =

1. A decree.

2. Condemnation of wrong (mild or severe).

3. That to which one is sentenced.

Questions =

1. What is greater krima?

2. Why is (perrissos krima) applied specifically to Scribes and Pharasees?

3. What is the difference between perrissos krima & standard krima?

4. Standard krima applies to those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit. Why?

Old 07-17-2021, 12:28 AM

"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Growing into the world above is realizing the higher realm and outgrowing the worlds beneath our stunted growth.

Last edited by Rose2Luv; 07-17-2021 at 12:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity