Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 05:06 PM

45,576 posts, read 27,172,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
What is the end of the world?

It is not the end of the physical world it is the end of all the religious superstitions and fables which will perish
It's the physical world. Followed by a new existence...

2 Peter 3:10-13 - 10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.
11 Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! 13 But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:04 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Matthew 7:21-23 - Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

Christ said the underlined... not because everyone would be saved, but because some will not be saved.
That does NOT answer my question. Where does Jesus say He only OFFERS salvation? Someone who only offers salvation is NOT a Savior, he is a marketer. Jesus is NOT a marketer of salvation. He IS our Savior, period. That means we have nothing to do with it. It is finished. The different treatments we receive as saved Spirits is determined by our sanctification - what we build on the foundation of love and reconciliation Jesus laid.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:43 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,346,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What is the promise from God you use to pretend that Jesus only came to OFFER salvation that we must accept and NOT to achieve it FOR us? What Jesus did is NOT an offer. Salvation is an accomplished fact and it is finished! What remains unfinished for all of us is our sanctification - building upon the foundation of love and reconciliation that Jesus laid for us. We do that by loving God and each other every day and repenting when we don't. Whatever we build (hay, straw, gold, silver, etc.) will be tested in the consuming fire of God's love but we are "saved as by fire" by what Jesus accomplished, NOT what we accept.
The God of Glory offers nothing. His reconciliation begins in Himself, and as the Author & Perfector, consummates the radical all in Himself and His LOVE/FIRE of Himself.

"It is finished" is not a lofty proclamation to a dying world: it is a fact!

Old 07-28-2020, 05:02 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,364,529 times
Quote:
That does NOT answer my question. Where does Jesus say He only OFFERS salvation? Someone who only offers salvation is NOT a Savior, he is a marketer. Jesus is NOT a marketer of salvation. He IS our Savior, period. That means we have nothing to do with it. It is finished. The different treatments we receive as saved Spirits is determined by our sanctification - what we build on the foundation of love and reconciliation Jesus laid.
This is like a math professor proving an equation...proving it on the board right in front of the class...yet his students won't accept the answer because they worked so hard in the past and came to a different answer. Easier for them to just wallow in their faulty formula than admit they were wrong. Too bad too.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:29 AM

614 posts, read 172,901 times
I think people don't understand because they are subject to randomness. They don't understand God's way of respecting them. An example of how He approaches us, to respect us, is in the story of Moses. God told Moses, when he was leading the Israelites through the wilderness, to speak to the rock in order to get water to flow from it. Moses was not allowed by God to enter the Promised Land because, instead, he struck the rock. He had been told to strike the rock at an earlier time. The story is important not because it foretells of some important event in the life of man or other, but how it speaks of the importance of what it means to speak to something in order to get results vs. beat on it. It is a metaphor, in other words, for how God is dealing with man in the time between His work and our arrival in it. The time of the Israelites in that wilderness being an overall metaphor for man in the time between Christ's work and His return. God is speaking to us rather than beating His word into us. I think Moses went through the pain of not entering the Promised Land because God wanted to communicate through that metaphor just how important this issue is to Him. He is not going to make you believe anything. He is waiting for you to respond to His voice, not His forceful entry into your life. In fact, though man has seen God's forceful hand in the past, He is saying that we shouldn't expect it today. Can you ruminate upon that?

Old 07-28-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
This is like a math professor proving an equation...proving it on the board right in front of the class...yet his students won't accept the answer because they worked so hard in the past and came to a different answer. Easier for them to just wallow in their faulty formula than admit they were wrong. Too bad too.

It is much easier to keep your scope limited to your present experience than to be expanded into His.

"Every created thing (παν κτισμα — pān ktisma).

Every creature in a still wider antiphonal circle beyond the circle of angels (from κτιζω — ktizō for which see 1 Timothy 4:4; James 1:18),

From all the four great fields of life (in heaven, upon the earth, under the earth as in Revelation 5:3, with on the sea επι της ταλασσης — epi tēs thalassēs added).

No created thing is left out.

This universal chorus of praise to Christ from all created life reminds one of the profound mystical passage in Romans 8:20-22 concerning the sympathetic agony of creation (κτισις — ktisis) in hope of freedom from the bondage of corruption.

If the trail of the serpent is on all creation, it will be ultimately thrown off.

-A.T. Robertson N.T. Word Pictures-

Old 07-28-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
It's in the same place where Jesus said everyone will be saved.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:49 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Jesus believed that God's Will determines our fate and He said God wills that all be saved. That is why He sent Jesus to do it instead of relying on each of us to be saved. Your "precepts and doctrines of men" suggest that God's Will is irrelevant.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Jesus Christ declares He will draw all mankind unto Himself. Not a remnant of mankind, not a few of mankind, not the good, the bad & the ugly only, the radical all of pas!

Welcome to the koine helko.

"Gather up the fragments that remain that NOTHING be lost.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Jesus believed that God's Will determines our fate and He said God wills that all be saved. That is why He sent Jesus to do it instead of relying on each of us to be saved. Your "precepts and doctrines of men" suggest that God's Will is irrelevant.
The Lord also wanted OT Israel to honor Him... didn't happen. He gives people the freedom to reject Him.

Jesus paid the price that we could not pay. People still need to Christ's payment to their account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post

Jesus Christ declares He will draw all mankind unto Himself. Not a remnant of mankind, not a few of mankind, not the good, the bad & the ugly only, the radical all of pas!

Welcome to the koine helko.

"Gather up the fragments that remain that NOTHING be lost.
Thanks for at least not posting a mindless quote.

People need to possess the Son to have eternal life. Not everyone will possess the Son.

Does the below sounds as if they will be anywhere in the Lord's presence in heaven?

John 8:21-24 - Then He said again to them, “I go away, and you will seek Me, and will die in your sin; where I am going, you cannot come.” 22 So the Jews were saying, “Surely He will not kill Himself, will He, since He says, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come’?” 23 And He was saying to them, “You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this world. 24 Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

John 8:40-46 - But as it is, you are seeking to kill Me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God; this Abraham did not do. 41 You are doing the deeds of your father.” They said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father: God.” 42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but He sent Me. 43 Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me. 46 Which one of you convicts Me of sin? If I speak truth, why do you not believe Me? 47 He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity