Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 11:18 PM

37,348 posts, read 28,574,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I see that you have been reading your Bible and learned about the fruits of the Spirit. This is a good start
Do you not find it strange that Jesus NEVER taught read your bible to know God. He did teach believe me and learn of him. He also that He would bring to remembrance the things he taught..... How do you suppose he was able to do that ?. I can just hear Finn Jarber of Jerusalem shouting out to the disciples, show me something spiritual that is not already in the bible, because he cannot see or hear anything beyond the letter he's enslaved himself with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 01:51 AM

64,185 posts, read 40,699,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No it isn't, you will not answer because your own heart is telling you the truth you deny in favor of your beliefs, biases and prejudices. This is what Jesus meant when men loved darkness over light.
This explains much of the tenacity with which the fundamentalists hide behind the Bible. What God has "written in our hearts" is the truth and it conflicts with what they THINK the Bible and the "precepts and doctrines of men" tell them should be there! It is frightening them.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:17 AM

17,071 posts, read 11,052,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You would know nothing about what Jesus taught without the Bible.
jimmiej, you keep repeating this like a child saying "nyah, nyah, I can't HEAR you" You think the fact that the Bible tells us about the Christ makes the Bible the authority instead of the Spirit He promised. If it is not confirmed by that Spirit, as much of the Bible is not, it is nothing of value except to show how men have gone wrong.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:27 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,972,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Jimmie, if you know anything of love, mercy, peace, joy, patience, kindness, gentleness, self-control, etc. in your life, then you know the Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
We wouldn't know either without the Bible.
What she is saying is that if you are patient and/or experience joy etc, then you know Jesus, aka the name 'Jesus' pops into your head, and you realize He was the messiah who preached at the mount, and later died for our sins. She didn't need a Bible, it just popped into her head.

And they wonder why some people aren't buying it.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:15 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,518,427 times
Quote:
What she is saying is that if you are patient and/or experience joy etc, then you know Jesus, aka the name 'Jesus' pops into your head, and you realize He was the messiah who preached at the mount, and later died for our sins. She didn't need a Bible, it just popped into her head.

And they wonder why some people aren't buying it.
For anyone who wants to believe that what I said means something other than what I actually did say/mean, here's what I posted. It's self-explanatory, and I'll leave you to it.:

Quote:
Jimmie, if you know anything of love, mercy, peace, joy, patience, kindness, gentleness, self-control, etc. in your life, then you know the Christ.
Quote:
If you know the Christ, then you know about Jesus, right?
Jimmie agreed, but then said we wouldn't know about either without the bible. But if that were true, that would mean no one has experienced any of those things if they haven't read the bible, and I'm fairly certain jimmie doesn't believe that.

I explained further:

Quote:
Jimmy, let me put it this way. I assume that you believe that Jesus embodied the Christ nature, and that he was the epitome of love, joy, peace, etc. So, if you know and recognize that Christ nature (even if you don't know to call it "Christ") then you do know the essence of who Jesus was AND what he taught about those things, even if you don't know that you know.
Quote:
<snipped> You believe that Jesus is God, and your bible says that Jesus is the exact representation of God. So, what is true of Jesus is true of God. Based on that belief, you would have to accept that a person who knows any of the same things about God that you do, whether they've heard of Jesus or not, knows something about Jesus.
Quote:
<snipped> By biblical definition, if someone knows any truth about God, then they know truth about Jesus.

And, yes, people could not know what you believe to be true about Jesus' purpose in "coming" without the bible. Even with the bible, it is disputable.

Last edited by Pleroo; 09-02-2016 at 06:48 AM..

Old 09-02-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
For anyone who wants to believe that what I said means something other than what I actually did say/mean, here's what I posted. It's self-explanatory, and I'll leave you to it.:
Thank you for re-quoting what I had already quoted in my post.

So, how did you know Jesus died on the cross? Did the knowledge just pop into your head?

Old 09-02-2016, 07:41 AM

17,071 posts, read 11,052,877 times
Quote:
Thank you for re-quoting what I had already quoted in my post.

So, how did you know Jesus died on the cross? Did the knowledge just pop into your head?
If that were important to knowing the Way, you would have a point, but you seem to think that the Christ and Jesus are an identity, whereas jesus was just the most explicit (IMO) embodiment of that Spirit we know as the Christ, and the Atonement is applicable whether you know about the details or not.

"What she is saying is that if you are patient and/or experience joy etc, then you know Jesus, aka the name 'Jesus' pops into your head, and you realize He was the messiah who preached at the mount, and later died for our sins. She didn't need a Bible, it just popped into her head.

And they wonder why some people aren't buying it." is just the same blather dresses up as irony and mockery.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:07 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,119,093 times
You guys and your arguments are proof that it doesn't work. You "found" Him you tell us, but once found, threw away 90% of the Word that tells everything about Him (and everything else above and below the firmament), which even He Himself did not do.

That's equivalent to opening a box with an 1000 part engine in it that YOU have to put together with the help of instructions and an instructor, and picking out one little piece and deciding to chuck the instructions and thereby also negating the instructor's input.

As I keep telling you, one witness is not enough to acquit. Peace

Old 09-02-2016, 08:28 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,518,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
You guys and your arguments are proof that it doesn't work. You "found" Him you tell us, but once found, threw away 90% of the Word that tells everything about Him (and everything else above and below the firmament), which even He Himself did not do.

That's equivalent to opening a box with an 1000 part engine in it that YOU have to put together with the help of instructions and an instructor, and picking out one little piece and deciding to chuck the instructions and thereby also negating the instructor's input.

As I keep telling you, one witness is not enough to acquit. Peace
No, you're lumping us all together. I am the ex-Christian who discarded belief in the words of the majority of the bible once I realized it had become a huge distraction from the one needful thing for my life. And I don't claim to have found the man, Jesus, nor do I believe that is the one things that's needful. I simply made a case based on the "Word" that some of you hold to as your authority. You don't like that the case is sound.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If that were important to knowing the Way, you would have a point, but you seem to think that the Christ and Jesus are an identity......
You not seeing it as important comes as no surprise, and shows you do not see Christ as the Savior. To you Jesus is your own emotion and works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity