Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 12:59 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,352,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
There are scriptures relating to correction or chastisement we need to go through in this life... but I have not found any scriptures indicating that we will be corrected after death. Do you have some scripture for this?
Cg: the parable of the sheep and the goats refers to correction that is aionios in nature. Kolasis means correction, and it is rooted in the Koine word kolazo, that has to do with pruning and trimming: in other words correction that improves. Are you suggesting that the parable is relating only to this life? And if kolasis indeed means correction, and it does, does it reach consummation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 01:02 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,278,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
Cg: the parable of the sheep and the goats refers to correction that is aionios in nature. Kolasis means correction, and it is rooted in the Koine word kolazo, that has to do with pruning and trimming: in other words correction that improves. Are you suggesting that the parable is relating only to this life? And if kolasis indeed means correction, and it does, does it reach consummation?
But the parable of the sheep and goats refers to the end of time, at the judgement. This is not referring to a time on earth.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post
"Yes I believe hell is a real place
Oh for sure! Which hell are you referring to....sheol, pit, hades, gehenna or tartarus, or all of the above?

Quote:
and I believe it is eternal
There is exactly nothing that is eternal, including, but not limited to death & hell, there is One Being who is eternal, the Living One, our Heavenly Father.

Quote:
and I believe the only way to Heaven is through Jesus.
And I believe there shall be a new heavens and a new earth wherein dwelleth righteousness. In My Father's House are many abodes. Yes, God creates everything new and places each in the place He has ordained in His great plan of the eons.

Quote:
Matthew 25:41 "Then the King will turn to those on the left and say away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons".
Can you tell us why the Lord is speaking to two clean animals, rather than a clean and unclean? And why is the context regarding virgins and servants of the Master? And, what are the qualifications according to the context of St. Matthew 25 for aionios kolasis and aionios zoe?

Final question: Do you know what the Saviour of the world defined as zoe aionios? "This Is zoe aionios that we may know You the only true God and Jesus Christ whom you did send."

Old 02-18-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
But the parable of the sheep and goats refers to the end of time, at the judgement. This is not referring to a time on earth.
Bingo C.G.! There may yet be hope for you.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Bingo C.G.! There may yet be hope for you.
So you would put this verse into a future tense after our time on earth is past?
Heb 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
So you would put this verse into a future tense after our time on earth is past?
Heb 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
If you mean Hebrews 12:1, absolutely not. Children lead to full grown sons. Those sons ultimately bear the Name of all names upon their being!

As for St. Matthew 25: it reaches into the ages to come. I know this, our Father chastens, He punishes, He corrects in rectitude, to one end, and one end only...."the peaceable fruits of righteousness." It is not mindless punishment, it ultimately reaches consummation when we are like Him. I hope to be in that status in this life, but alas, my life is drawing to a quick close.

I noticed some of the saints saying our Father has flowers that have a "limited" petal to them. Do you know how many times our Lord mentions limited in the Living Oracles? Correct: one time...."You have limited the Holy One of Israel."

Old 02-18-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
As for St. Matthew 25: it reaches into the ages to come. I know this, our Father chastens, He punishes, He corrects in rectitude, to one end, and one end only...."the peaceable fruits of righteousness." It is not mindless punishment, it ultimately reaches consummation when we are like Him. I hope to be in that status in this life, but alas, my life is drawing to a quick close.
We must not confuse damnation with correction. Correction is for this life only. Nowhere in scripture are we assured of a chance to be "corrected" after death.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:50 PM

Why did Jesus say this, and of whom is He speaking?
Luke 12:4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
We must not confuse damnation with correction. Correction is for this life only. Nowhere in scripture are we assured of a chance to be "corrected" after death.
Can you define damnation? And, C.G., why does damnation begin at the house of God, and greater damnation to the teachers of the Lord's house?

Quote:
My brothers, be no many teachers, knowing that we shall receive greater damnation.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:59 PM

265 posts, read 615,991 times
quote:
"Can you define damnation? And, C.G., why does damnation begin at the house of God, and greater damnation to the teachers of the Lord's house?"

are you talking about

1Peter4:17 - For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

damnation is not written as so in the King James
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity