Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:02 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
But the point is not: "Why do preachers preach Hell." Rather, the point is, how is it Satan,
according to the modern teaching, gets his billions but God just a few?
Because when we say I believe in Jesus and the bible we take leave of our senses and end up believing some crazy stuff . Anybody in the their right mind would have to agree that if God lost out in such a way to an adversary, the adversary is the victor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 PM

167 posts, read 179,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Because when we say I believe in Jesus and the bible we take leave of our senses and end up believing some crazy stuff . Anybody in the their right mind would have to agree that if God lost out in such a way to an adversary, the adversary is the victor.
Not necessarily. If the majority of people decide to go with Satan, into everlasting destruction, at the will of Jehovah God, I would say Jehovah was the One.

But the Bible isn't a final issue comic book. If my god can beat your god.

I don't think I can do this anymore. I . . . uh . . .

Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
Not necessarily. If the majority of people decide to go with Satan, into everlasting destruction, at the will of Jehovah God, I would say Jehovah was the One.

But the Bible isn't a final issue comic book. If my god can beat your god.

I don't think I can do this anymore. I . . . uh . . .
But it's the will of God that none perish, that is if you interpret perish as meaning annihilates or being fried for eternity.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM

398 posts, read 545,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. God has predestined those that he wants in Heaven. There is nothing Satan can do about it.
I really feel awful about popping your tidy little package, but "predestination" has been out of vogue as an affront to Free Will for quite some time. You may want to update your spiel....like maybe to the 19th or 20th Century. Like it or not, you have Free Will .....and there is nothing YOU can do about it.

But.....you have my sympathies.......

FWIW.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
But it's the will of God that none perish, that is if you interpret perish as meaning annihilates or being fried for eternity.
Yes it is, butit isn't the will of God that decides the matter in case the will of the person should intercede.

Jehovah wishes that we wouldn't be so obtuse. That doesn't mean that we won't be.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Yes it is, butit isn't the will of God that decides the matter in case the will of the person should intercede.

Jehovah wishes that we wouldn't be so obtuse. That doesn't mean that we won't be.
Well where are your scriptures to support something other than it's Gods will that NONE perish ?. There are no ifs and buts in regards to the will and desire of God, just yea and amen. Can I get an amen ?.

Our Heavenly Father also wishes that we would not stagnate in our misconceptions of his will.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
So, according to the popular teaching, Christians teach that Satan is more powerful and more wise than God.
Satan gets his billions while God gets His measly few.
What's "popular" isn't necessary what's "accurate." It's actually going to be the other way around... God gets His billions while Satan gets His measly few.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Well where are your scriptures to support something other than it's Gods will that NONE perish ?. There are no ifs and buts in regards to the will and desire of God, just yea and amen. Can I get an amen ?.
Well, I don't have any scripture to the effect that it is God's will that none parish. I certainly didn't mean to imply that I did, but the will of those that will perish will not have done so in vain.

I mean you are being sarcastic, I know, but if I were a prince appointed by heaven to judge you what would be my criteria? I wouldn't have anyone perish. But, you see, God has said if you do it your way you will perish and he has given you ample time to see that. If your position is that you want to do it your way and perish you take it all with you.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't have any scripture to the effect that it is God's will that none parish. I certainly didn't mean to imply that I did, but the will of those that will perish will not have done so in vain.

I mean you are being sarcastic, I know, but if I were a prince appointed by heaven to judge you what would be my criteria? I wouldn't have anyone perish. But, you see, God has said if you do it your way you will perish and he has given you ample time to see that. If your position is that you want to do it your way and perish you take it all with you.
I just cannot see how God can be God if He cannot perform His OWN will.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
I really feel awful about popping your tidy little package, but "predestination" has been out of vogue as an affront to Free Will for quite some time. You may want to update your spiel....like maybe to the 19th or 20th Century. Like it or not, you have Free Will .....and there is nothing YOU can do about it.

But.....you have my sympathies.......

FWIW.
No worries. The Bible existed long before the Free Will movement of the 19th and 20th Century. It's clear when it teaches that God chose us before the foundations of the world. God isn't sitting up in heaven hoping Satan doesn't outsmart him. He knows what's going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity