Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:58 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
Where I live there is a local well known hell fire preacher who was approached by some Jehovah's Witnesses. They said to him: "Did you know that the Bible doesn't teach a literal hell where the damned are punished forever for their sins?" Much to their surprise he replied: "Oh, yes, I know that." They asked him: "Then do you teach it to frighten your congregation into attendance?!" To this he burst out laughing. "No," he said, "I teach hell because if I didn't I would be out of a job quick."

Christians cling to the pagan nonsense of heaven and hell because it makes them feel morally superior to those who don't "Believe." Its a xenophobic exercise.
The problem is that "Hell" is in their Bibles so they must believe in it.
If they only could see the Hebrew and Greek words behind the English word "Hell"
they would have to change their understanding of what Hell is like and its duration.
But some Christians would rather just dismiss this problem with a simple wave of the
hand rather than take time to search it out.

But the point is not: "Why do preachers preach Hell." Rather, the point is, how is it Satan,
according to the modern teaching, gets his billions but God just a few?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM

167 posts, read 179,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
If they only could see the Hebrew and Greek words behind the English word "Hell"
they would have to change their understanding of what Hell is like and its duration.
But some Christians would rather just dismiss this problem with a simple wave of the

But the point is not: "Why do preachers preach Hell." Rather, the point is, how is it Satan,
You didn't see that in my post? If people would rather believe that there is a hell out of ignorance or a false sense of morality then how could you expect any different?

Most of the people who think that everyone else is going to go to hell are the ones most likely in God's disapproval due to their own self righteousness. The others may not be nearly as bad off. After all, who is God looking for, the over-righteous Pharisee or the sinning Tax Collector and Prodigal son?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Mr5150, The JW's do not believe like me. So let's quit with the guilt by association tactics, OK?

Now then, just how do you answer to the Christian idea that God gets his few but Satan his billions? Which one appears more powerful and wise? Remember, this is according to YOUR teaching, not mine.
I also don't think that there is any conceivable way Satan is more powerful and wise than his creator. That it may appear that way to some because he seems to get the majority of the people on his side is irrelevant in considering that question.

A lot of people don't like the idea of God's sovereignty, they don't like the idea of God, accountability, even everlasting life.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:36 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
I had just posted this in another thread when I saw this thread and thought the quote would be just as appropriate here.

"When I despair, I remember that, all through history, the way of peace and love has always won.
There have been tyrants, and murderers and for a time they can seem invincible;

but in the end, they always fall.
Think of that -- always --
Whenever you are in doubt that the way of peace and love is God’s way,
the way the world is meant to be, think of that...
...then try to do it God’s way."

Mohandas Gandhi (1869-1948)

FWIW.
Beautiful!

Peace.
brian

Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:

Indeed; scaring people into believing in God doesn't seem like a Godly approach..

Peace!
brian

Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
I also don't think that there is any conceivable way Satan is more powerful and wise than his creator. That it may appear that way to some because he seems to get the majority of the people on his side is irrelevant in considering that question.
I fail to see how it is irrelevant. Could you elaborate?

It seems to me that if two beings (God and Satan) are vying for all mankind and both are trying to get as many as they can into heaven or hell (according to Christiandumb) then obviously the one with the most marbles is the wiser and more powerful one.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned
But the Bible doesn't teach hell (see my blog) and it doesn't teach that all righteous believers go to heaven. God created heaven for himself and the angels and Earth for man to dwell forever in peace. The fact that it may seem that Satan has the advantage may not be correct. The fact that most people may reject God and side with Satan also doesn't necessarily mean that Satan is wiser or more powerful, even if it were not already obvious for the reason I give above. It could very well be that people are stupid, lazy and self destructive. I know! Its a long shot, but . . .

Last edited by june 7th; 11-30-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 04:30 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
God through Lord Jesus is more powerful than satan ....... But through God, if man wants to accept satan and his sin then man will get the sin in his life and there will be nothing that will release the man who has satan from sin , but through Blood of Lord Jesus and Him alone ... These are spiritual laws that God will not cross , unless the Children of God intercede and ask for forgiveness for people who are stuck in curses and help them out through the Blood of Jesus and His judgment .... See God waits to His children prayers and Works in every generation the children of God will be judged at their judgment seat on what they did and what they did not do..

Old 11-30-2012, 05:13 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
If anyone would bother to look at what the Bible says, they would clearly see that Satan is a created being (not a creator), and is subordinate in every way to God. Rather than being God's enemy, Satan is actually the enemy of mankind. When God's purpose for creating and allowing Satan to exist for a time is complete, Satan will be cast into the eternal lake of fire. Of course, that's just what the Bible says. If one wishes to only deal in inflammatory rhetoric and opinion, then one should state the source of their information ... and not try to imply or infer that it is somehow Bible-based or a Christian doctrine.

Where in the world is the teaching that Satan is equal or greater in power to God ... or somehow competing with God ... or that 'Satan has his billions and God has his millions' (???) ... so 'popular?' --- I've been a Bible teacher and minister for almost 30-years and have never heard or read such a thing! It certainly isn't scriptural, unless one takes liberties with the "wide road that leads to destruction". Honestly, it seems to me that there are more non-Christians or Christian detractors out here on the Christian forum, than there are Christians. What gives?

Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
According to the popular teaching God is trying to get as many as He can into Heaven and Satan is trying to get as many as he can into Hell.

Also according to the popular teaching the majority of mankind are going to hell. So, who is wiser and more powerful at getting people to Hell rather than to Heaven?

Saying God gave man a free-will choice does nothing to help the situation either. The God who supposedly created free-will should have the wisdom to at least entice people to His Heaven just as Satan entices people to Hell.

So, according to the popular teaching, Christians teach that Satan is more powerful and more wise than God.
Satan gets his billions while God gets His measly few.
No. God has predestined those that he wants in Heaven. There is nothing Satan can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity