Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 AM

33,406 posts, read 26,723,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman2 View Post
i very much appreciate your obvious concern for my welfare, Mik555. I tread a different path from you and meditation aids me in doing that. I value reason and logic, so I am unlikely to abandon it. Thank you again for clarifying your position.
I never said anything about abandoning reason and logic. I said that you cannot learn about God by human reasoning and logic, but only because God has revealed Himself. If God had chosen never to reveal Himself, or anything about Himself, there is no amount of human reasoning or logic by which man could learn the things of God.

Col. 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made void. 18] For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19] For it is written, "I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE, AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE." 20] Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21] For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 03:00 PM

698 posts, read 650,624 times
“The only true God” is “the Father,” and since he is “holy” and he is “spirit,” therefore he is referred to in the New Testament as “the Holy Spirit.”

This is clear from passages such as Acts 2, which records the pouring out of the “Holy Spirit” upon the apostles on the day of Pentecost. Peter explained that this was a fulfillment of the prophecy of Joel, in which it is described as the pouring out of “my (God’s) spirit” (Act 2:16-17). Now here is another example from Luke 16, which records Jesus “being full of the Holy Spirit” returning from Jordan. Later in the same chapter Jesus links this with Isaiah. 61:1: “The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon m”. In these cases both Acts 2 and Luke 16 (and there are many others) the “Holy Spirit” is equated with the OT term “the spirit of God”.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,174,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That the Holy Spirit is one of the three Persons of the Godhead is easily shown from the Scriptures.
It appears as if we actually agree occasionally, Mike.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:49 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,059,320 times
Quote:
I never said anything about abandoning reason and logic. I said that you cannot learn about God by human reasoning and logic, but only because God has revealed Himself. If God had chosen never to reveal Himself, or anything about Himself, there is no amount of human reasoning or logic by which man could learn the things of God.
But God reveals Himself to everyone, right?

Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 PM

121 posts, read 107,313 times
Quote:

Col. 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made void. 18] For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19] For it is written, "I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE, AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE." 20] Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21] For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.
I understand you think I am perishing because of your beliefs and I appreciate your concern. It is very caring, and that is something I value highly. But I could never accept your unreasoning credulity about anything. I have more confidence in our powers of reason than you do, apparently.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 AM

698 posts, read 650,624 times
“The only true God” is “the Father,” and since he is “holy” and he is “spirit,” therefore he is referred to in the New Testament as “the Holy Spirit.” I would also like to note that the phrase “Holy Spirit” is equivalent to the OT phrases “the spirit of God”/”the spirit of the Lord”. This is clear from passages such as Acts 2, which records the pouring out of the “Holy Spirit” upon the apostles on the day of Pentecost. Peter explained that this was a fulfillment of the prophecy of Joel, in which it is described as the pouring out of “my (God’s) spirit” (Act 2:16-17). Now here is another example from Luke 16, which records Jesus “being full of the Holy Spirit” returning from Jordan. Later in the same chapter Jesus links this with Isaiah. 61:1: “The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon m”. In these cases both Acts 2 and Luke 16 (and there are many others) the “Holy Spirit” is equated with the OT term “the spirit of God”.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 AM

33,406 posts, read 26,723,962 times
Quote:
I understand you think I am perishing because of your beliefs and I appreciate your concern. It is very caring, and that is something I value highly. But I could never accept your unreasoning credulity about anything. I have more confidence in our powers of reason than you do, apparently.
You do not even comprehend what I said to you. I said nothing whatsoever about abandoning reason or logic. I simply said that man cannot understand anything about God which God has not first revealed about Himself. Faith is never blind, but is based on what is known about the object of that faith, whether the object of faith is God, or someone, or something else. We can have faith in God because of what He has revealed about Himself. We can have faith that the Bible is the word of God because of the historically verifiable fulfilled prophecies in the Bible.

Now try to reason that out.

Futhermore, what you choose to believe is your concern, and you must bear the consequences of your choices.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You do not even comprehend what I said to you. I said nothing whatsoever about abandoning reason or logic. I simply said that man cannot understand anything about God which God has not first revealed about Himself. Faith is never blind, but is based on what is known about the object of that faith, whether the object of faith is God, or someone, or something else. We can have faith in God because of what He has revealed about Himself. We can have faith that the Bible is the word of God because of the historically verifiable fulfilled prophecies in the Bible.

Now try to reason that out.
Thank you for that clarification. I will consider it more fully.
Quote:
Futhermore, what you choose to believe is your concern, and you must bear the consequences of your choices.
I agree. That is true for all of us.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 AM

45,928 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
But God reveals Himself to everyone, right?
There are different levels of revelation.

There is general revelation that reaches all people. This is through geography or astrology. The heat and regular pattern of the sun. See Psalm 19:1-6. There is an element of general revelation in our consciences. See Romans 1:18-32. Creation is another avenue of general revelation.

If you want to know the mind and thoughts of God, you have to have the Spirit of God. That's 1 Corinthians 2:10-16.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There are different levels of revelation.

There is general revelation that reaches all people. This is through geography or astrology. The heat and regular pattern of the sun. See Psalm 19:1-6. There is an element of general revelation in our consciences. See Romans 1:18-32. Creation is another avenue of general revelation.

If you want to know the mind and thoughts of God, you have to have the Spirit of God. That's 1 Corinthians 2:10-16.
This is an interesting perspective that is very similar to Spiritualism in many ways, minus the scriptural references. We would use different language. We believe that our Spirits are influenced by the greater reality beyond the physical, what you would call the Spirit of God, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity